Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

bypass valve or not

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bypass valve or not

Im runnig stock intake box with stock filter but i got my resonator removed. I get rain 3/4 of the year where i live. Should i get a bypass valve or should i not worry bout it? I have an ek civic
Old 05-01-2006, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you feel that you are safe with it get it! only you are the driver and we cant see how you drive therefore if ur gonna go through puddles id get it myself the decesion is up 2 you!
Old 05-01-2006, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EkSi)

so i hit a puddle and my engines hydroblocked. Im just askin if theres a good chance this may happen by driving through some crazy rain?
Old 05-01-2006, 08:53 PM

dude you only hydro lock driving through like a big *** puddle. if you see a puddle just bust a u turn

and even if you dont... just neutral through the puddle so if the motor DO suck water it wont suck much, then once you get through rev your engine a little so it burns all the water inside

but most likely nothing will happen since you got stock airbox its still too high to reach water
Old 05-01-2006, 09:12 PM

Default Re: bypass valve or not (turnsignalandy)

I did a lot of reading about the threat of hydrolocking before i bought my CAI, and after all the reading, i opted to not get the bypass valve. You basically have to submerge your whole intake into a puddle, and at the same time you have to be on the gas quite a bit. At least that is what I read. And also if you think about it, when you put a bypass valve on, doesnt it defeat the purpose of sucking the air from outside the engine bay, since air will come in from the valve too. I know the difference is negligble, but just get a SRI if you are worried about it.

I drove 200 miles through some heavy *** rain, and all is good, just dont drive through deep puddles, and i mean really deep puddles.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: bypass valve or not (sol2hatch)

wats a sri?
Old 05-01-2006, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

id probably be driving over 5000 miles in rain
Old 05-01-2006, 09:32 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turnsignalandy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wats a sri?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

short ram intake
Old 05-01-2006, 09:33 PM

Default Re: bypass valve or not (sol2hatch)

and rain is not the problem. It is puddles. Rain wont hurt, unless you submerge your intake into water.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you'll be fine.. you need to be in a pretty deep *** puddle for you to submerge your stock airbox.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:42 PM

Don't bother. Waste of money IMO.

Like someone else has said, in order for the bypass valve to even work, the cone filter must be COMPLETELY submerged in water before it opens.

I live in Vancouver, B.C., and it rains a lot here as well...and I've been running my CAI for years with no problems. Just avoid driving through deep puddles...and if you are a really paranoid person, then don't drive during heavy rain falls...but that would be extreme. Don't worry, you'll be fine.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: bypass valve or not (SiRMike)

im not using a cold air tho, isnt the cold air kind of covered by the bumper and splash guards. I just have the resontaor removed with a stock paper filter
Old 05-02-2006, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: bypass valve or not

well remember, a bypass valve only works if the filter is COMPLETELY submerged under water and there is no other way for air to get to the engine.

also, bypass valves defeat the purpose of a cold air intake. it disturbs the way the air is designed to flow in cold air intake tubing and u actually lose power. also the fact that air can be pulled thru the bypass valve as well as the filter.

i have an eGay CAI with the intake it came with and ive driven through hard rain, both flooring it and driving normally, and nothing has happened.

just get a 2 piece cold air intake. that way, if it rains, take off the lower half of the intake, put the filter on the upper half and use it as a SRI

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turnsignalandy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
im not using a cold air tho, isnt the cold air kind of covered by the bumper and splash guards. I just have the resontaor removed with a stock paper filter
</TD></TR></TABLE>
you are correct. but that doesn't make the filter completely water-proof and it doesn't mean the filter can't be affected by water.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:29 PM

I would get password intake. I think mine makes more power than my AEM cold air
Old 05-02-2006, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: bypass valve or not (amej8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by amej8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well remember, a bypass valve only works if the filter is COMPLETELY submerged under water and there is no other way for air to get to the engine.

also, bypass valves defeat the purpose of a cold air intake. it disturbs the way the air is designed to flow in cold air intake tubing and u actually lose power. also the fact that air can be pulled thru the bypass valve as well as the filter.

i have an eGay CAI with the intake it came with and ive driven through hard rain, both flooring it and driving normally, and nothing has happened.

just get a 2 piece cold air intake. that way, if it rains, take off the lower half of the intake, put the filter on the upper half and use it as a SRI

you are correct. but that doesn't make the filter completely water-proof and it doesn't mean the filter can't be affected by water.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so your saying that a cold air is more or less lickly to get wet. Also what will happen if i get a splash of water on my filter, like a small splash?
Old 05-02-2006, 11:12 PM

A small splash of water will do nothing...don't worry.