Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

buying a used civic

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 12:53 PM
Party Pooper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying a used civic

so i was planning to buy this used civic today and dude calls me up and say "hey man, i dont want to hide anything from you but when I was done washing the car today, my CEL came on and I called my friend and he said it might be the o2 sensor because water mightve went in there, i was cleaning the engine bay, etc, etc"

now I am complete car noob, I was just trying to find a beater to drive for a couple years and Im in need of professional advices. does this sound legit? where is the o2 sensor located and how could water got in there? is this part pricey to buy and install? Im willing to shell out money to fix it because the car itself is pretty cheap. thanks in advance.

its a '96 civic dx coupe.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: buying a used civic (pho iz good)

The o2 sensor is located on the header, it would cost about $150 new to replace at shucks/autozone. If thats all thats wrong with the car then I wouldn't worry about it.

Do you have any more info on the car? That would help determine if the car is legit or not, if you plan to buy it.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:11 PM

You should check out the codes first for why is the cel on, and if it is the 02 sensor you can get them at sparkplugs.com oem at less than $60
Old 07-12-2007, 01:17 PM
Party Pooper

Default Re: buying a used civic (bara6075)

sorry guys what else info are you looking for, ill try my best to give it to u but as the following is all i know about the car.

it has 104,XXX miles
96 civic coupe dx
bone stock
clean title
never been in accident
exterior still in good condition

he wants 3500 for it but I was about to get him down to 3300. if this o2 is gonna cost me, i think i might get it down to 3200 now.
thanks guys.

Modified by pho iz good at 10:32 PM 7/12/2007
Old 07-12-2007, 01:21 PM

offer him 3100 since the cel is on, and that it might be the o2 sensor.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats kinda high u should keep looking i bought my 98 EK hatch for 900 bucks camed with GSR FULL interior, CTR wing, mid wing and rear lip,rear disk conversion, I/H/E, but it had a rebuilt title so i traded it for a 4 door civic worse decision in my life
Old 07-12-2007, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lowball to 3000!
Old 07-12-2007, 01:37 PM
Party Pooper

Default Re: (EJ8_TCAN)

ok i just confirmed with him. he pulled the code out and it was the o2 sensor, he told me the voltage was either too high or too low on it....i guess this isnt that much of a problem?

he told me drove around in it around the blocks a couple of time to make sure the engine and everything was ok. he said the engine still sounded ok and that it was idling fine and everything. he sounded pretty sincere on the phone and told me that he was an honest seller and would understand if i backed out right now.

3300 is a pretty good deal RELATIVELY around here because the other civics ive seen on craigslist are either salvaged, rebuiltt, 150K + miles, beaten exterior and it goes for even more than 3500+

and im not into modifying a honda and this was is completely bone stock which is what really attracted me. I dont want that loud exhaust or intake stuff.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you feel like its a good deal and its clean like you say it is, GO FOR IT!
Old 07-12-2007, 01:52 PM
Party Pooper

Default Re: (EJ8_TCAN)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ8_TCAN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you feel like its a good deal and its clean like you say it is, GO FOR IT! </TD></TR></TABLE>

i know its a good deal IMO but was just wondering if the o2 sensor is a major problem, but according to the consensus here, it should be a cheap fix (under 100). thanks.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pho iz good)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ThaiRacer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thats kinda high u should keep looking i bought my 98 EK hatch for 900 bucks camed with GSR FULL interior, CTR wing, mid wing and rear lip,rear disk conversion, I/H/E, but it had a rebuilt title so i traded it for a 4 door civic worse decision in my life</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd go for it. It sounds clean. The o2 sensor is nothing big at all.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ThaiRacer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thats kinda high u should keep looking i bought my 98 EK hatch for 900 bucks camed with GSR FULL interior, CTR wing, mid wing and rear lip,rear disk conversion, I/H/E, [b]but it had a rebuilt title so i traded it for a 4 door civic worse decision in my life[b]</TD></TR></TABLE>

How the F*$# did you find that deal? Sounded like the deal of the century. You should have traded me for my 92 EG hatch lol.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CapnKrunch)

i say definately go for it. Why? He's seems like pretty honest if he told you that.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boost_V)

i the guy was desperate to sell the hatch and then the guy who traded me his sedan give me 200 dollars also so i even profit even more but then i bought some SIR Conversion brand new with LS meshes for 520 what a good buy
Old 07-13-2007, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (ThaiRacer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pho iz good &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok i just confirmed with him. he pulled the code out and it was the o2 sensor, he told me the voltage was either too high or too low on it....i guess this isnt that much of a problem?

he told me drove around in it around the blocks a couple of time to make sure the engine and everything was ok. he said the engine still sounded ok and that it was idling fine and everything. he sounded pretty sincere on the phone and told me that he was an honest seller and would understand if i backed out right now.

3300 is a pretty good deal RELATIVELY around here because the other civics ive seen on craigslist are either salvaged, rebuiltt, 150K + miles, beaten exterior and it goes for even more than 3500+

and im not into modifying a honda and this was is completely bone stock which is what really attracted me. I dont want that loud exhaust or intake stuff. </TD></TR></TABLE>

WTF, he keeps "telling you" his car drives good?

Drive that thing, don't take his word for it. As for the o2 sensor, I don't know, voltage too higher or low can be an electrical short someplace, I guess it's possible if he's that retarded that he turned the car on while the sensor was soaking wet, but other than that it sounds like the car's got electrical problems.

I bought a car from a guy that sounded "sincere" and "didn't hold anything back" and I'm 1k into it in less than a month and I still need a new trans for it just because he was an ace at covering **** up.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ8_TCAN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lowball to 3000! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Do that, and test drive it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CapnKrunch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The o2 sensor is located on the header, it would cost about $150 new to replace at shucks/autozone. If thats all thats wrong with the car then I wouldn't worry about it.

Do you have any more info on the car? That would help determine if the car is legit or not, if you plan to buy it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't listen to this guy and buy from autozone.

You can buy a brand new denso (good brand) O2 sensor (primary and secondary) for 62 bux shipped for one w/ a plug or 31 bux shipped for one w/o a plug (universal, have to solder and/or crimp the wires). PM Frank_2.0L - he sells 'em there. I bought both of mine there and am satisfied .