Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Buying Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying Help

Hello,

I'm looking for some help buying a car for college. My parents aren't funding the car so I'm pretty much on my own. My Dad will allow me to be under his insurance policy to save me some money, but I will be paying the increase in cost that results from adding the car. After putting aside money for insurance, emergency repairs, spending money for college, and gas money, I can afford to spend about $5000 ~ $6000 on the car itself.

I'm looking for reliability and good gas mileage. I asked around the general discussion area of the car audio forums that I frequent and someone recommended that I look into a Honda Civic. So, I went out and test drove my friend's '94 sedan. It was a bit small seeing as I'm fairly tall, but I test drove a '95 coupe and it had a little more room and it was comfortable.

I looked around in local ads and on AutoTrader and there are a handful of '95 Honda Civic Coupes with 75-95k miles in the $5500 range give or take $500. There was also a ton of Civics with 150k+ in the $3500 and less range.

I'm really in need of some advice. I think a Civic might be the car I'm looking for, but I'm not sure. Also, if it is, I'm not sure of any specific things I should be looking for when I go hunting for a car. Checking the tread on the tires, A/C, wipers, cruise control, etc etc etc. I'm aware of all the basic things, but is there anything I need to specifically look for when looking at Civics?

Sorry for the long post, and any help or insight will be greatly appreciated .

Nick
Old 01-01-2004, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Buying Help (stillframe)

Anyone?

I haven't found anything by using the search function.
Old 01-01-2004, 01:24 PM
cdk

hey,
i like mine 97 civic lx 4d, ~69,000k i'm tall myself but i took the seat off and moved it back, (to screw the people on the back of my car!) Def good for over value, parts easy to find, service. As to look for I go for:
1.) check fluids (oil tranny af) for crap (metal fillings, globs of **** and mixing (i.e oil in the af).
2.) check exhaust make sure it doesnt burn anything (af/oil)
3.) if you can check break rotors/bads for scrapes and pad thickness.
4.) make sure tranny shifts well and smooth
5.) check engine compartment for rust, is there's alot think h2o damage or poor care.
6.) like you said tires, etc.
7.) run it warm and check idle, engine sounds when warm and warming up, bty all honda's have a slight valve tap when warming up.
8.) On older civics make sure the timing belt/h2o pump have been done, it costs lots of time/money to get done and they get done around 75,000 6 yrs for my model year.
9.) Thats all i can think of right now
anyone else?
Old 01-01-2004, 01:29 PM
EJ1_519

Hey man, if you are in the market for a car with a civic is pretty good
where are you located???

If you are looking for a car to buy, regardless if it's a civic or not, make sure you give the car a good look for rust. Civics are known to rust on the rear driver side/passanger side quarter panel. Make sure the car has decent KM's on it.

The smartest thing to do is if you find a car that you are interested in, write down the VIN #(found on driver side dash corner) and go do a VIN search. the Vin search will tell you if the car was in a theft or what the title on it is. It will save you a piece of mind knowing your car is legal and it wasn't in any trouble before.

If the car has over 100KM's, find out if the timing belt was changed and when the last Valve adjustment was done.

Also find out what oil the owner used and when the last oil change happened.

Old 01-01-2004, 02:30 PM

Default Re: Buying Help (EJ1_519)

Thanks for the help so far guys .

My Dad also suggested I get a VIN report on whatever car I am seriously looking at to see what the past history was on the vehicle.

My friend bought a Civic and didn't get a report on the car, and it turned out hers was in a wreck before she bought it. The seller did not provide any information about the wreck at all when the transaction was made. I don't want anything like that to happen to me.

I'm curious, how much does replacement of the timing belt and water pump usually cost?

Also, what are the differences between the suffixes DX, LX, etc?

Thanks for the help
Old 01-01-2004, 02:37 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LX is the 4 door Civic...in the 92-95 years it had a D15B7 engine...1.5 liter, 16 valve, about 102 hp and 95 tq or something like that. Power windows, power locks, PS, AC, CC, power mirrors, etc.

My sister just bought a 92 Civic LX for 2000. I cannot believe how nice it is. Interior is mint, has 150k on it, but runs so solid, it's unreal. Body is a 8.5 out of 10. Look around you can get a good deal.

There's a lot of little things to look for to see if it got in a wreck and if the body shop did a factory equivilent repair...such as looking if the grill was repainted, etc.

The EX coupe had the SOHC VTEC engine..126 hp, PW, PL, PS, PM, CC, Moonroof, etc.

I am a litle over 6 feet tall, and about 210 lbs, and I drive a 94 Civic Si hatch, which from the doors on forward is identical to the coupe...and I have so much room, I love it
Old 01-01-2004, 03:11 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MODEL LEVELS IN 92-95

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=690806
Old 01-01-2004, 05:02 PM

Default Re: Buying Help (BauleyCivic)

Thanks guys, you've been a lot of help!

I'm 6'5" 230 lbs. so room is definitely an issue.

I think I'm going to go look at a few Civics next weekend.

Thanks again for all the help !