Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Buying first civic!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying first civic!

Hi my name is Alec, I am ek forever guy's brother. I am new to Honda-tech.com.

I am buying my first civic and i was wondering if i could get some opinions.

Its a 1994 eg coupe, B16 swap it needs paint on the front and rear bumper along with the spoiler, they are already primed. It has ITR header and CTR pistons already installed, with stock exhaust. Lowered, and comes with fat 5's, Integra console.
He wants 3700, I was just wondering if anyone wanted to post an opinion and or a suggested value that me more reasonable. All responses are welcome but please dont be rude, this is my first ever post.

Old 04-24-2007, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Buying first civic! (eg forever guy)

Unless you know the guy or you can see the freaking motor being put together, I dont know about the CTR pistons. Type-R header sounds kinda off. I'd offer the guy 3500. You're also buying someone elses project. They might have beat on it before they decided to sell it. Heck, I know if i had a b16 I'd VTEC probably everyday if I was an idiot driver.

IMO you're better off taking 3700 buying a shell and dropping in your own motor or something along those lines.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:01 PM

Not bad, IMO every car has potintal just how much the owner wants to spend.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ivannaciv)

so your adams brother. well you dont know who put together the motor so you wouldnt know if it even has ctr pistons. itr headers arent all that great either. your paying 3700 for a coupe with a b16. imo its not worth it. you can find a better car with a gsr in it. or better yet find a stock car and build it yourself. fat 5's arent worth crap.

lowball him or just wait for something better. things will come cheap if you're patient. sorry if im too harsh i just dont want you to waste your money.

things you might want to ask if your serious about buying
1 mileage on car
2 mileage on motor
3 who put the pistons in the block
4 can you do a compression test before purchase
5 is it clean title
6 what suspension
7 what ecu(if it really has ctr pistons it is running lean on a b16 ecu)
8 any other little problems you should know
Old 04-24-2007, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ivannaciv)

Ive never been a fan of picking up someone elses project. Like previously stated you have no real idea whats been done to that motor. If anything id try and find a stock car and build it from there (that's what Ive done anyway).
Old 04-24-2007, 06:18 PM

Default Re: (EJ1_Sleeper)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1_Sleeper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Like previously stated you have no real idea whats been done to that motor.</TD></TR></TABLE> all truth
Old 04-24-2007, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

idk, looks like a lot of work needs to be done, and you're already at 3.7K. You can usually tell how well a person takes care of the engine by the state of the rest of the car....and i don't see anything convincing. The details sound sketchy, BUT it's your money.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:20 PM

IMO if you are going to spend 3.7k on a car, find a stock car for &lt;400 and go from there.

learning how to do **** on your own &gt; learning how to rattle off someone else's mods.

just my opinion though!
Old 04-24-2007, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbociviccoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbociviccoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so your adams brother. well you dont know who put together the motor so you wouldnt know if it even has ctr pistons. itr headers arent all that great either. your paying 3700 for a coupe with a b16. imo its not worth it. you can find a better car with a gsr in it. or better yet find a stock car and build it yourself. fat 5's arent worth crap.

lowball him or just wait for something better. things will come cheap if you're patient. sorry if im too harsh i just dont want you to waste your money.

things you might want to ask if your serious about buying
1 mileage on car
2 mileage on motor
3 who put the pistons in the block
4 can you do a compression test before purchase
5 is it clean title
6 what suspension
7 what ecu(if it really has ctr pistons it is running lean on a b16 ecu)
8 any other little problems you should know</TD></TR></TABLE>

agree with him. also like someone who said it, i wouldn't take another person project. i would get a stock car and do all the upgrade by myslef.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:44 PM

nice work
Old 04-24-2007, 08:26 PM

Default Re: Buying first civic! (SkepTicZ)

This is the part about building honda's I don't like. The margin for error, low balling, and cutting corners is so large when it comes to building these cars that a project's resale value is very low. The money you put into a car is becomeing like an interest payment, you never see it again. My advice is to do extensive research on the car and it's modifications. Find out if he has recipets on any parts/labor, find some kind of data on engine life and wear (pictures of the build, compression test, etc.), and more importantly have another set if eyes double check everything you find. If everything checks out, I would still the car consideration and build from there.

Other people trying to sell crap cars causes distrust in the buyer, which then drives them away from the honda market or, like everyone else has advised, causes them to start from a fresh platform. This causes the demand for parts, engines, replacement parts, and everything else to go up and makes this hobby more expensive then it has to be.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:43 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Buying first civic! (lollypopking)

See I think he should buy a stocker too. The bumper/fenders need prep-work and paint. The rear bumper needs paint. The interior needs some work.

**** we'll never get around to doing.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:56 PM

Default Re: Buying first civic! (ek forever guy)

Don't buy someone else's swapped project unless its clean as hell or you can get it for dirt cheap. I saw a GSR ek going for $3500 on local craigslist. I emailed the guy 5 mins after it got posted and it was gone! You can tell if the guy is either another pedal pusher or a real Honda Enthusiast by looking at the other parts.
For example if he spent $600 on coil overs to do it right, and has a new timing belt/clutch receipts that'll give off some hint that its not another junkie.

Check the whole car for leaks. Make note of any weird knocking whining sounds and if you are in doubt, just walk away. For $3700 you can get a clean *** civic if you're patient and snipe it on local ads.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

in my opinion 3700 is pretty harsh, as posted above you are picking up someone elses project. you would be much happier picking up an Eg that is stock so u can do whatever you want to it (also if you are planning to do an engine swap, you can pick up an eg for even cheaper by picking one with high mileage)
Old 04-24-2007, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do not buy it. buy a stock car and build it. built not bought is the best route for anybody
Old 04-25-2007, 07:08 AM

buy a stock car an experience the joy of building and fixing your honda urself with ur brothers help... because i bet u that car has hit red line a few times which is not a great car to pick up....
Old 04-25-2007, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Cboi)

I would have to agree. Buy a granny car. Something that wiring has not been touched.

I have driven up to 400 miles to pick up my last 2 cars. One from DFW and the other from an hour south of there. 6 hours one way. I picked up a 92 cx hatch and a 94 gsr sedan.

The wife's Van I flew out to Nashville TN to pick up and drive home.

There are 1 billion people on earth and 4 billion cars so this is not the last one you will see or like.

Offer him 2500.00 cash. If he says no then walk away.

Good luck with your civic purchase. I enjoy mine.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:28 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (sauceja)

Hey sauce, Ummm... Last I checked there were 1 billion people in just China.

World = 6.5 billion.

4 billion cars might be pushing it

But either way, ^^ tru dat!!!
Old 04-25-2007, 09:41 AM

I wouldn't buy that car for $3700, NO Way. Just buy a clean stock one and swap it yourself, It will be less of a headache and more satisfaction for you knowing you built your own car.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:37 AM

Default Re: Buying first civic! (STI champstar)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by STI champstar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

IMO you're better off taking 3700 buying a shell and dropping in your own motor or something along those lines. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 04-25-2007, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (ek forever guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey sauce, Ummm... Last I checked there were 1 billion people in just China.

World = 6.5 billion.

4 billion cars might be pushing it

But either way, ^^ tru dat!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah wasn't really going for exact figures but you get the idea either way.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:20 PM

Default Re: (sauceja)

I rather buy a built car but only if its reliable, accordin to that build your buying CTR pistons with a Stock b16 head .. nuh uh