Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

buying a civic, has some weird problems. help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying a civic, has some weird problems. help?

i am buying a 93 civic 2door EX with the 1.6 liter engine, 5 speed. has like...145k miles on it. its a guy that buys older cars/salvage cars and fixes them , then sells them. he's a friend of mine. i'm buying it for 1300.

anyways. the brakes went out on the car, so the kid that had it before was downshifting to slow down...(jesus...) then the clutch went out. thats when the kid sold it to the guy that owns it now. well it has been sitting in his yard for about a year. ran fine before(other than above problems). well we start it up(after charging the battery...its screwed, loses its charge after a few minutes) and the car freaking starts revving up by itself!!! goes to about 4.5k, idles, revs, idles revs, forever. i dont know whats wrong with it, he says it probably just needs to sit there running or something.

it has one of those crappy wal mart intakes (only thing messed up with it is the pvc or whatever tube from the valve cover to the intake wont fit to the intake, so i'm going to have to get a diff tube or something.) also bought a brand new filter fot the intake, just to be safe. also has some really crappy catback (i think catback) exhaust on it. front bumper from a body kit, that is broken in all the places it attaches to the car, so i have to get some new bolts and nuts and try to fit it on there again.

no radio(looks like the guy ripped out the radio, as there are just wires in there, no plug or anything....i dont know what to do about that) speaker covers are gone, and speakers are installed crappily, not to mention blown.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: buying a civic, has some weird problems. help? (nomoreavril)

To get it running decently, I'd replace the battery/alternator just to be safe - For the idle problem check out the FITV(Fast Idle Thermo Valve) and if it's gunked up/clogged clean it really well and it SHOULD Idle fine after that. A thread on the FITV can be found...

HERE : https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1564019

It works, I've done it on my car. Other than that...is the check engine light on? if so use this to determine what code it's throwing out.

Check Engine Codes : https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1171263

Fix up the brakes/clutch...to be safe i'd also do the timing belt and water pump since it's been sitting so long, it also wouldn't hurt to flush the coolant/transmission. All that said and done, you should be fine.

Old 08-19-2006, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: buying a civic, has some weird problems. help? (Froth)

awesome, i'm not a mechanic or anything so i dont know many technical things, but i'm going there tomorrow to (hopefully) help him replace the clutch. thanks for the help.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:10 PM

dont get it dude. just save up and buy something that already runs and drives with no questionable "problems".
Old 08-19-2006, 07:14 PM
Banned

Modified by CardDealer at 9:25 AM 11/16/2006
Old 08-19-2006, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The reason the idle is surging is probably because of that tube youre missing for the intake, you gotta hook up all vacuum hoses or your car wont idle right.

The only way id pay 1300 for a civic that wasnt running perfect, would be if the interior was perfect.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:27 PM

like they said above thats WAY too much for that car with all those problems...a 93 should be only like $1500 or so without all those problems you mentioned....you offer him like $700 and use the money you save to fix it....is there any rust or anything? if the only things that you mentioned above are whats wrong, then it could probably be fixed for a few hundred bucks....you could find OEM front and rear bumpers (if that bodykit is *** ugly like 99% of bodykits) however, there could be underlying problems...you said the guy buys them and then fixes them? so why isnt it running right? is the clutch and brakes still fucked up? see if you can find out what happened to the brakes, may just be a simple line or something really really screwed up. i would make sure to do a 3842384 point checkup on this car, because it could prob become more money than its worth, especially since it sounds like its been abused by some punk *** kid with all the crap he put on there.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: buying a civic, has some weird problems. help? (modifyORdie)

if that pcv hose is missing thats probably the idle problem

my accord had a collapsed pcv hose and would surge at idle, 800 - 2500 rpms

replace the pcv hose and see if it still idles funny, if it does, look for yet another vacuum leak

Old 08-19-2006, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: buying a civic, has some weird problems. help? (93cb7sedan)

that car is going to be a basket case if it has all that stuff wrong with it and its been sitting for a year. You need to figure on putting all new brakes on it (rotors,pads, calipers) poss a brake line or master cylinder. figure about $300 for the brakes. Plus the clutch around $200. I would figure on spending around $600 to get the car back up and running right. and thats if you can do most of the work your self.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: buying a civic, has some weird problems. help? (instructor74)

i feel like crying lol. you see, i own an 04 ford focus with the 2.3 engine, but it is an automatic. plus my mom (even though i'm 19) gets all pissy when i do stuff to it. so i was like fine..i'll buy an old car and fix it up. when i made the deal with this guy, he said the only things wrong with it was needs a new clutch, and something about the brakes. he said it was cheap to fix. i made a deal to pay him 100 a week til i payed him off, i payed him about 1000 and he said if i want i can go ahead and instead of cash, i can buy stuff for it. so i bought the new filter, a clutch($120 in stock at o'reillys) and some little things. i guess i got screwed. i thought i was getting a good deal, b/c he was asking 2500 for it. he already had an offer for a trade: prelude w/rebuilt engine for the civic and 1000 dollars but i was already paying him off so he didnt take it.

no, the interior is crappy, and exterior is too. 2 tires are flat, and one tire isnt the same size as the others(along with the rim on it, i have no idea why.) umm..back seat is kinda warped. dent on front passenger fender. needs a good washing...i dont think any rust just a lot of pollen. front body kit bumper is not painted(its black, civic is white). rear bumper needs new paint job, looks like the guy before tried repainting it with spraypaint, and also the exhaust he put on there was flush against the bumper, so melted into it...
umm...seats kinda torn. theres a blue switch by the e-brake? anyone know what that is? i dont know what it does. one of the fans is hardwired to something. i dont know why. wires coming out of the alarm blinking light thing. cool little japanese symbol in the gauge though. lol.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:49 AM

Wow. Go get some stock steelies to roll on. You can pick them up for maybe.. $30-50 with decently good tires. Umm.. For the interior, just remove the backseats and say F it. Do you need em? If not.. just remove em. Ummm.. how is the dash? Dash color? Seats? Seat color? If you need something, I'll see if I can find it for you.. even though I'm in WA. I'll get S&A prices or whatever. I'd like to help you out man. Email me at :: Daonlypimpsta@comcast.net or Hit me up on AIM: Daonlypimpsta.

Best of luck! And ohh.. just primer your car.. semi flat black. It'll look nice.

-Jason
Old 08-20-2006, 03:45 AM
Banned

Modified by CardDealer at 9:25 AM 11/16/2006
Old 08-20-2006, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dude has a spider bite on his hand so he doesnt want to work today, will try back tomorrow. i mean if you really think about it, i bought the car as is for 1000, since thats all i really payed him, plus he's helping me fix it
Old 08-20-2006, 06:57 PM

Default Re: (nomoreavril)

1000's still too much.

just my .02 though.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how do you post up pictures? i took pics today and have some questions about the car.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:49 PM

go to http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com and register an account for free upload the pictures then copy and paste the address using the picture poster option on here.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ci_v_ic)

heres the interior. as you can see its in need of a good shampooing and detailing. seats a little torn. wont bother me, i can buy seat covers, and unless i sell it to my girlfriend(she needs a car) i can buy racing seats needs new speakers and speaker covers(as you can tell)

heres the radio(or lack therof) is this wiring even salvagable?? theres no harness or anything. just a bunch of random colored wires that i have no idea about(never done stereo work) and the antenna wire is still there.

lol... anyone know anything about wiring?? i have no idea what they do , or where they plug into, if anything at all.

exactly what the picture says, i have no idea what this does.

i'm sure this isnt the way they come out of the factory. i dont know what those two wires do, or what went into that shrink wrap.

here is where the battery goes.
1:whoever had it first hardwired the fan to something. i THINK this wire is the original wire that went to the fan. who knows.
2have to look really close) or this could be the wire to the fan. its a wire with a fuse in it(fuse taken out though) also the wire has been cut, so i dont know where it led to.
3:pcv hose, doesnt fit onto the cai installed on the engine. anyone know where i can get a new hosethat is a few inches long but is small enough to fit over that? could this also be why it surges?
4:i dont know what this ***** is on the cai.

here is the full engine bay. this is the wire that they used to hardwire the fan. i'm going to have to get a new wire and make it longer so i can zip tie it somewhere SO IT ISNT FREAKING HANGING ACROSS THE ENGINE/EXHAUST MANIFOLD...geez i dont know what the ppl that had it before did to it.

this is the body kit bumper that they had on the car. all of the holes that attach it to the frame are cracked. i think it is strong enough to just put some nuts and bolts and washers through and tighten them really tight and still be held on. its not fiberglass, its polyurethane.

needs 2 new tires on drivers side, passenger side is fine, strangely. however the passenger rear has a diff size tire and diff rim, and its notthe spare lol. also drivers side lock is really hard to open/lock. maybe its cuz theres no power? i dont know.

lol, the ricecan that comes witht he car. they put it on so shitty it melted part of the bumper. it sounds SO high pitched, i have to have that changed out. lol. i looked at the rest of the exhaust, and the piping looks aftermarket(from the muffler shop around the corner, where i take my focus to, but i cant tell the size, and if its catback why is it so freaking high pitched...)
Old 08-21-2006, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would whoop your friend's A$$. he got one over on you and is laughing right now. Go to tell him you want your money back or else........
Old 08-21-2006, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (95civicSirCoupe)

i didn't know they made buttons for cliffords
and also, you're e-brake seems to have a surge protector strip somewhere by the looks of that blue switch!
Old 08-21-2006, 07:06 PM

sucks man, i feel bad. Beat that dudes ***...or rape him back!
Old 08-21-2006, 07:14 PM

The inside just looks a little bit dirty.The bumpers need replacement and some wires look like they need to be sorted out ,but if it can be made drivable for 500 more cash it is worth it in my book. Looks like a fun project car and something great for you to learn on. Have fun with it.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (I Shot 50 Cent)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I Shot 50 Cent &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sucks man, i feel bad. Beat that dudes ***...or rape him back!</TD></TR></TABLE>

X2

damn !! that civic had it real bad !
Old 08-22-2006, 08:35 AM
Banned

Modified by CardDealer at 9:24 AM 11/16/2006
Old 08-22-2006, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what about that wiring next to the clutch ? does any of that look messed up?
Old 08-22-2006, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That plug under the dash that you dont know what it does, plugs into an alarm that looks like someone took out. The switch by the e brake might be a valet switch. Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: buying a civic, has some weird problems. help?