Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Buying car: Would you, buy one with a swap or buy one and drop in a swap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Buying car: Would you, buy one with a swap or buy one and drop in a swap?

I am curious how many of you would actually want to buy a machine that is already built and how many of you would want to start from scratch?

If you don't mind explaining why feel free.

I think that I would attempt to purchase something that has alread had the swap.
Saves money IMO. Currently looking at CRX's and most are asking 2300 (stock) in my area and then starting at 4500 for those with swaps.
Old 08-26-2002, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Buying car: Would you, buy one with a swap or buy one and drop in a swap? (Spade)

I would rather build one to ensure only quality replacement parts and a legit motor is used.
Old 08-26-2002, 09:58 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Buying car: Would you, buy one with a swap or buy one and drop in a swap? (B_Cruz)

IMO opinion it really depends on the price....

If I can find a good deal then go for it.

Good deal=price of swapped car= price of swap (or close)

Example:

People sell 92-95 EG HB for $3000 all the time stock.

Add $5000 for type-r swap......... makes it $8000-$9000.

If some crack head dude wants $6000 for the same car you buy it and forget about getting your hands dirty.

About the motor being stolen, I do not feel like getting in a huge/flame 13 page debate about it
Buying stolen motors is a reality and it sucks.

I wouldn't buy one, but if it came in my hands through a car auction for example, then what I'm suppose to do?

Give it back to the original owner? Who is going to pay me for buying the car i the first place?
(This is a hypothesis. I don't even know if that would be possible but I have seen really weird cars being sold in auctions.....

[Modified by 2 B 4GO10, 2:03 PM 8/26/2002]
Old 08-26-2002, 10:00 AM
Future Texas Boy

Default Re: Buying car: Would you, buy one with a swap or buy one and drop in a swap? (Spade)

I`d buy something w/ a swap if I knew its history. You`ll save money in the long run.

Ryan
Old 08-26-2002, 10:03 AM

Default Re: Buying car: Would you, buy one with a swap or buy one and drop in a swap? (B_Cruz)

buy one and drop in a swap would be your best and safest bet.

however, you can also take advantage of (sometimes) the fact that you can buy a hatch with a swap already done for pretty cheap, but then of course the quality of motor/install would be in question.
Old 08-26-2002, 10:05 AM
Future Texas Boy

Default Re: Buying car: Would you, buy one with a swap or buy one and drop in a swap? (VTEC CX)

& compression check and leakdown own.

Ryan
Old 08-26-2002, 10:06 AM

As tempting as it may be to buy a vehicle that is already modified, it can become more costly and more toublesome than worh while. Reasons are as follows

1. you dont really know what kind of shape the car is in, the previous owner could have dogged the bejesus out of it.
2. you don't really know what your are getting under the hood unless you crack open the block... i.e. a friend bought a motor that was suposed to have toda race cams in but in reality it had low dollar re-grinds in it plus worn out rings and a whole tone of other problems.
3. to avoid this you can find at auto auctions or online some one who had a car that was there daily driver and is in fairly good shape (body wise) for pretty cheap--then go to http://www.sohfast.com and order a JDM type-R full motor swap with harnesses tranny and all the bells and whistles and be for sure as to what you are getting.
4. the quick and easy way is never the best way...you dont get what you are really after...besides time and time again I have heard of people buying cars with work already done only to change out parts or redo the car in its entire...and sorry to say but people sell already moded cars expecting to get back what they put into it and the car is never woth it.

This is my suggestion...go to http://www.kellybluebook.com find out what book value on the car is...then go to autotrader.com see if you can find your car at a low cost...remember it does not matter what model type it is (Type-R, EX, DX, HX...and so on) your are performing a motor and tranny swap. Then go to sohfast and find a motor total it all up and weight that cost against the cost of buying an already swaped motor car along with the probable headaches that come along with it...

[Modified by HondaChevy, 11:26 AM 8/26/2002]
Old 08-26-2002, 10:24 AM

Also there are other aspects at hand of buying some one elses beat on car...bent frame, torn/busted c.v. joints from being lowered imporperly and (cheap to fix but still a pain in the ***) torn motor mounts are a few just to mention. Leak down compression tests are great but they are not always accurate...they can not tell you what the engine is going to do the next time you decide to rev it up to 8 or 9 grand through first second and third gear...buy already swaped sure you save some dollars up front but in the long run...it is just hell...I would much rather buy a relatively stock car...get the motor I would want for the swap...build it the way I wanted to and retain the stock motor for when those nasty motor trolls decide to wreck havoc on my race-preped swap motor so I am not out of a car while the motor is being fixed...unless of coarse you have mutliple cars and can afford to have the already swaped car sitting around...if such is the case then go ahead make your day...other wise be smart and do it right the first time so you not having to clean up after someone elses slop...

[Modified by HondaChevy, 11:31 AM 8/26/2002]
Old 08-26-2002, 10:48 AM
New User

Default Re: Buying car: Would you, buy one with a swap or buy one and drop in a swap? (HondaChevy)

Id buy one and build it up. Buyin a built car has all the "did he put this together right" questions and stuff like that. Plus if its built, it would be more likely the owner ran it hard and much of the stock stuff's life will be shorter (suspension parts, cv joints, gaskets, o-rings, etc.) and parts will need replacing sooner than they should.
Old 08-26-2002, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It would depend if I knew the person personally or not.