Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

buying a car 02 sentra ser vspec vs 00 civic si

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default buying a car 02 sentra ser vspec vs 00 civic si

just sold my car and I'm buying a new car here's my choices plz giv me info on what u thnk

2000 civic si with 115xxx miles, surprisingly almost all stock( hard to find ) exept lowering springs si is a reliable car putting down 160 hp but with sohc amout tq, rare cars that get stolen like fresh air, the guys selling for 6700$ I got him down to 5000 today
vs.
2002 nissan sentra se-r Vspec with 70xxx miles, its sadly a 4 door, but my foo doo fits moo hoo's, more leg room foo shoo, its putting down 170hp with a great amount of tq, like 170 pounds yeah thats alot compared to civic dohcs, selling for 6000$ but I got him down to 5000$, comes modded to the max, and 1000$. worth of spare parts yeah I know I shouldn't count that but agh,
I prefer the si but the ser is not bad
Old 03-13-2008, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i looked at the SE-R SPEC-V and decided against it for a couple reasons. the qr-25 motor in there has been a NIGHTMARE for nissan. at one point in 06 they stopped selling the altima. stopped selling their biggest seller, made the dealers take them off the lot till they figured it out. a lot of those 2.5's are croaking. the cat disintegrates and the pieces get sucked back into the motor, the butterfly screws in the TB fall off and get sucked into the motor, all bad things. there was something else but i can't remember.

of course, i decided to get the si, and a year later the motor took a crap, so who knows.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (packman5280)

I didnt know the q35 had alot of problems cuz the screws were not tight and they would fall into the cylinder, and they had a problem with the manifold cat
Old 03-13-2008, 01:23 PM

Default Re: (v8killaz)

dude your getting that si for like 4k under the blue book price.... if u dont hop on that give me the guys number and i'll buy it right now and on top of that its stock and low mileage too.... i would be all over that
Old 03-13-2008, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Midori Green)

I get all my cars cheap, the seller will come to my house on saturday and I might buy it, the sentra
is also like 2000$ below bluebook
Old 03-13-2008, 01:59 PM
Occupy GDD

Default Re: (Midori Green)

Stay away from the 02 Sentra SE-R, they are junk! Buddy of mine went through two motors(due to the pre-cat failure), cluster went out, and some other things as well that I can't remember off the top of my head.

Get the Si for sure especially if you can get it for $5k that's a steal.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Alex_G)

yeah I def don't trust domestic cars so I'll prob get the si
Old 03-13-2008, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by v8killaz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah I def don't trust domestic cars so I'll prob get the si</TD></TR></TABLE>

since when is a Nissan a domestic?

I do like the sentra, but have never owned one nor driven one. Due to the problems listed above, I will say go for the Si as well.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Malakai)

my bad their not domestic, I thought ford owns them but Renault is an alliance with nissan, I still dislike nissan for some reason
Old 03-13-2008, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sentras are all slow and gay including the ser. buy the civic, although its also slow you can always fix that, the sentra you would be stuck with the same **** motor.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (redrocket_ej1)

srry but the sentra is slow but faster than the si no offense, and I keep my cars comp. stock exept minor boltons
Old 03-13-2008, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by v8killaz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I didnt know the q35 had alot of problems cuz the screws were not tight and they would fall into the cylinder, and they had a problem with the manifold cat</TD></TR></TABLE>

the 02 spec-v has the qr-25. it's a 2.5 litre motor, not sure what you mean by q35. and when i was talking about the altima i meant the 2.5 litre version as well, not the 3.5. the VQ35 motor (maxima, 350z, 3.5l altima) is a great motor. nothing like the qr25 at all.

issues:
the qr25 has a very extreme stroke/bore ratio, so the pistons move very fast. this has an effect on the oil consumption issue, not positive exactly how that works though.
they also have major oil consumption issues if the motor is not broken in perfectly, and even then sometimes. it is not uncommon for nissan to tell a customer that going through a quart of oil in a month was normal. needless to say it isn't.
the pre-cat comes apart, and since the qr25 doesn't use EGR, it has a lot of overlap in the valvetrain. because of this, the exhaust will suck back into the engine, taking the cat material with it. the exhaust sucking back in is normal, taking the cat with it isn't. there is a TSB on this issue, which replaces the cat, but the new material does the same thing, it just waits till 40-70K to do it now.
the screws in the TB butterfly's come loose and get sucked into the motor. nissan issued a TSB on this, and they remove your intake and lock-tight the screws.

i would not buy any nissan with the qr25 motor, your money would be better spent on a bus pass.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by packman5280 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i looked at the SE-R SPEC-V and decided against it for a couple reasons. the qr-25 motor in there has been a NIGHTMARE for nissan. at one point in 06 they stopped selling the altima. stopped selling their biggest seller, made the dealers take them off the lot till they figured it out. a lot of those 2.5's are croaking. the cat disintegrates and the pieces get sucked back into the motor, the butterfly screws in the TB fall off and get sucked into the motor, all bad things. there was something else but i can't remember.

of course, i decided to get the si, and a year later the motor took a crap, so who knows.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I herd exactly the same thing you can find it on all the nissan forum sites.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (packman5280)

eah I knew all that stuff but I'm thnkin though, if this occurrd is would ruin the engine completly, I mean metal into the cylinders will not give you a runnning car so I know the car has no stock manifold, probaly no precat, so thats taken care of, and the screws are just something that happens once, not over a period of time if u get what I'm trying to say
the civic is still my first choice of course though
thx for the good info though
Old 03-13-2008, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is this a god damn joke?
your in a honda forum you dolt. your obviousley gunna have people telling you to buy the honda

so buy the honda
Old 03-13-2008, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nix94delsol)

yeah but I hate hondas and still use ht
Old 03-13-2008, 07:14 PM

Honestly, I owned an '02 SE-R SpecV and I would say go with the Honda, in addition to the engine problems, the syncros on the 6-speed wear FAST. Mine had 67k miles and was consuming tons of oil and third and fifth gear syncros were going out. I wouldn't recommend one of those to anyone.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:19 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the SE-R V.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont get the SER if you havent yet. my boy had one that **** was torqui dont get me wrong but you cannot **** to that motor, nothing but recalls and problems...the si has unlimited potensial! tho the ser would rape the si stock for stock...
Old 03-13-2008, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Recks133)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JohnnySpade &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Honestly, I owned an '02 SE-R SpecV and I would say go with the Honda, in addition to the engine problems, the syncros on the 6-speed wear FAST. Mine had 67k miles and was consuming tons of oil and third and fifth gear syncros were going out. I wouldn't recommend one of those to anyone.</TD></TR></TABLE>
are u serious
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Get the SE-R V.</TD></TR></TABLE>
any reason
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Recks133 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont get the SER if you havent yet. my boy had one that **** was torqui dont get me wrong but you cannot **** to that motor, nothing but recalls and problems...the si has unlimited potensial! tho the ser would rape the si stock for stock...</TD></TR></TABLE>
what problems, I havnt bought anything yet, my car got sold and I'll receive the payment tommarow
Old 03-13-2008, 07:50 PM

Default Re: buying a car 02 sentra ser vspec vs 00 civic si (v8killaz)

cant go wrong with DOHC VTEC
Old 03-13-2008, 07:50 PM
HT White Ops

Because the EM1 has a shitty anemic motor that has syncro problems and has so many stupid fanobis that even thinking of owning one associates you with 16 year olds around the entire continental US that fudge their Huggie's at the sight of one.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Eran)

I'm 17 lol, and em1 trans are not bad I've never heard that
Old 03-13-2008, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nothing but recalls, power wise, i had a stock 04 rsx and he had his car modded with Jim wolf cams, full exhaust, ignition system, tune, and some other crap and i CHOPED HIM! he couldnt believe it we did it like 4 times, cant go wrong with a honda..his tranny broke 3 times! another friend of mine is on his 3rd motor from them, keep blowing but he has an 04 ser..i dont know..they remind of a japanese cartoon...lol jus get a 2000 si they sexy..if you dont want it sell it to me LOL! but yeah..dont quite remember all the problems because a two years later we traded that bitch in for an evo lol!
Old 03-13-2008, 07:58 PM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by v8killaz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm 17 lol, and em1 trans are not bad I've never heard that</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like you've already made up your mind. Go away.

Quick Reply: buying a car 02 sentra ser vspec vs 00 civic si