Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

buying a 1992 Honda Civic VX, please help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 09:45 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying a 1992 Honda Civic VX, please help.

Hey everyone, this is my first post so I hope I got it in the right area. I did a quick search for the VX model but didnt find what I was looking for. If I passed it up then please point me in the right direction. I am a newb at everything to do with Hondas so please bear with me.

Well now thats out of the way. I was wanting to have some help with a Honda that I am interested in buying. It is a 1992 Honda Civic. the VX model. The particular car I am looking at has 306,000 Miles and other then body rust, it seems to be in good condition. Now this is the closet car that I have found to me and it is 5 hours away, so Ill have to deal with it because I would like to have it now.

I am looking to find the BEST ways to make this car as fuel efficient as possible whether it be gutting parts out, like the AC and power steering. or putting aerodynamic parts on like a spoiler or diffuser.

I was also wanting to know what mods I can do to this car? Can I put a turbo and all that other jazz on and still get the same if not better gas mileage? If not then I dont want to do it, it was just an idea since I see so many Hondas with stuff on them.

I have read that the car averages 45 mpg, but that others have gotten theirs up to 70mpg. Can this car cruze at 70mph and still get good gas mileage?

Since the car has so many miles on it, would I need to do an engine rebuild? Or can I keep running the engine? The owner says the engine is in good condtion, that there was a new tranny put on 40,000 miles ago and that he has been good with upkeeping the regular maintenance on the car. And with the rust, it doesnt get me that much, I dont mind it. But eventually I would probably like to have it cleaned up. What can I do to repair that?

And ultimately, what should I look for on the car that would make me not want to buy it?

Thank you everyone for reading and I hope you can help me with my questions. I know I asked alot lol
Old 07-16-2013, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: buying a 1992 Honda Civic VX, please help.

the price?
Old 07-16-2013, 10:28 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Mods? On a VX? None. You're looking at the wrong car.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Adding a turbo on this type of car will not yield better gas mileage. More fuel and air is required to go faster.

Find out when the T belt was last done, and when the last time the 5 wire o2 sensor was replaced.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No bolt ons will improve your fuel efficency to this car. Nor is it likely to go fast without a lot of work. As mentioned above, find out when Timing belt was last done. If no idea, that will be first priority and expect about 100-150 in parts plus labor if you're not good with engine/auto work. Reducing the weight of the car will only give negligable returns. And depending on where you live removing AC or PS will suck because somewhere down the road you will miss those features.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Vx has a rear diffuser and an oil cooler, if it hasnt been rebuild assume youll be having it rebuilt soon.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

" Now this is the closet car that I have found to me and it is 5 hours away, so Ill have to deal with it because I would like to have it now."

Unless you meant that your are specifically looking for a VX model otherwise:
Did you try craigslist in your area? What backwater turd-bowl do you live in to be 5 hours away from one the most available older used cars ever produced? Your stats say you live in Chicago "Da Bears" Illinois. You should be able to find a used 6th gen civic within pissing distance from you in a major city like that.

Although you didn't list a price I wouldn't pay more than $500 for any car with 300,000 miles on it unless it had record/proof of newer or lower mileage engine and transmission.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If it's not against forum policy, I would recommend you go to the Civic VX website haven: www.gassavers.org Now I know there is no mention of Honda in that URL but it is by far the number one website for what you are asking about.

you could also try this in google: site:gassavers.org "civic vx"
cheers
Old 07-16-2013, 05:22 PM
Trial User

The car is 1200$ obo and they are in Detroit while I am on the border of IL/IN at the south suburbs of Chicago.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:31 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
Adding a turbo on this type of car will not yield better gas mileage. More fuel and air is required to go faster.

Find out when the T belt was last done, and when the last time the 5 wire o2 sensor was replaced.
Incorrect. A small turbo can increase gas mileage, if set up and tuned correctly. Saab has been doing it for years. The "tuned correctly" part is going to be more than hard though, considering we're talking about a VX.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:57 PM
Trial User

The poster put

Aqua Honda Civic VX hatchback for sale. This rare car is the fuel-efficient VTEC-E Civic model and gets an incredible 42-60 mpg! Starts, drives, shifts, steers, stops. 306,000 miles. Manual transmission with shift light indicator. This has been my daily driver for the past 6 years. Well-maintained as per the manual with fluids, filters, timing belt, &c., and have a thick folder of service records from the previous owner. Motor is the stock D15Z1, great condition with no leakage or burning. Should have many thousands of miles left in it. Many new parts, including transmission and clutch 40,000 miles ago. Most recently new brake and fuel lines, and a new distributor and spark plugs. It still has the super lightweight VX exclusive factory alloys, with less than 10,000 miles on the tires.

The car is rusty. It has the Honda rot you'd expect over the wheel wells, underbody, and rear hatch. No accidents except paint scuff on bumper. The exhaust pipe rusted through at the front end of the straight pipe and could be cheaply welded on, but it's not very loud, and I've been driving it this way for two years with no problems. Exhaust pipe comes with the car. Speedometer doesn't work most of the time (odometer works fine) and rearview mirror has come unglued. One of the rear drums is sticking a bit.

$1200 or best offer.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:59 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Telecatster
" Now this is the closet car that I have found to me and it is 5 hours away, so Ill have to deal with it because I would like to have it now."

Unless you meant that your are specifically looking for a VX model otherwise:
Did you try craigslist in your area? What backwater turd-bowl do you live in to be 5 hours away from one the most available older used cars ever produced? Your stats say you live in Chicago "Da Bears" Illinois. You should be able to find a used 6th gen civic within pissing distance from you in a major city like that.

Although you didn't list a price I wouldn't pay more than $500 for any car with 300,000 miles on it unless it had record/proof of newer or lower mileage engine and transmission.
The tranny has 40,000 miles on it.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:45 PM
Trial User

Does anyone know if I would need to do an engine rebuild or would I be able to just go ahead and drive it? I dont want to drive it home and it break down on me. Or have it for the next 2 months and it poops out then.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

pretty high mileage man... But id def check to see when the last time the timing belt and water pump were changed. When you go and look at the car you can also perform a compression test just to get a idea.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

With that many miles get it up on a lift to check for oil leaks and get enough time with it before you buy it (or any car) to rule out excessive oil burning.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

walk away and keep looking is my advice. why spend 1200 on a 92 vx with over 300,000 miles on it? take some of the peoples advice, hit craigslist and find one. would not pay more then 300 bucks for that car.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a vx with 330, 000 miles on it and it drove great, as long as you know one thing and one thing only......IT IS NOT A RACE CAR you will be fine if you can remember that one thing. Also don't worry about the motor taking a dive on you just get it home and do a tune up, new dizzy, wires, plugs, take it and have the valves adjusted, or there is a huge write up on here on how to do it, also no matter what the person you buy it from says, change the oil and change the oil filter. All that minus the vakve adjustment will run you about 150 bucks and you will have a smooth running car. If the engine does go I'm sure you can fimd one similar to yoyrs in the 2 to 300 dollar range....hell I saw a ls b18 on craigslist the other day for 200 bucks. I would also change the fuel filter.