Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Buy a ODBII code reader.... Yay or Nay?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buy a ODBII code reader.... Yay or Nay?

Alright so today on my way to work my check engine light comes on. I have a 96 EJ, ...this is the first time ive had it happen. Since i dont have a code reader, my options are to goto the shop and have them plug it in, and get the code. Then hopefully i'll be able to fix it myself. (horray for Helms!)

Or my other option would be to buy a universal code reader. Do any of you own one? If so, how often does it come in handy? It should be good for reading any type of vehicle, my sister has a 4dr civic, so i'd be set for fixing that also.

A 2 second search i found one for 99$ at Parts America
http://www.partsamerica.com/Pr...=3100

Any thoughts?? I have a appt tommorow at the shop at 1030am.. so kinda need opinions asap lol

Old 02-03-2006, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Buy a ODBII code reader.... Yay or Nay? (climbermonkey)

Wheres the option to read the 4th thread in the forum?

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1171263
Old 02-03-2006, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Buy a ODBII code reader.... Yay or Nay? (Luserkid)

Derr ok, how do i del. a poll? lol Mods go ahead and kill this plz
Old 02-03-2006, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Buy a ODBII code reader.... Yay or Nay? (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wheres the option to read the 4th thread in the forum?

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1171263</TD></TR></TABLE>

i second that... its really easy, the process is the same for the 96 and up years. if i recall correctly, theres a blue rubbery thing used to cover it. i used a small paperclip myself. try to keep it from touching anything else metal (just incase).

and i think dealerships charge about 20 bucks to read the code on your car. (someone correct me if im wrong)
Old 02-03-2006, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Buy a ODBII code reader.... Yay or Nay? (yoej8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yoej8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i second that... its really easy, the process is the same for the 96 and up years. if i recall correctly, theres a blue rubbery thing used to cover it. i used a small paperclip myself. try to keep it from touching anything else metal (just incase).

and i think dealerships charge about 20 bucks to read the code on your car. (someone correct me if im wrong)</TD></TR></TABLE>

HT Saves the day once again!! just went out and did it, the plug was in a different spot than the ECU thread says (96 its up under the corner of the glove box) But i got seven long flashes and four quick, ...so error code 74, random misfire in cylinder #4. Lovely but at least you guys helped me out steering me in the right direction. Now i'm reading the Helms to figure out what to do bout this 74 code....
Old 02-03-2006, 08:27 PM

Your local advance auto parts or auto zone or whatever should read the code for you for free. Last time I went they even printed out a paper with the error and the problem.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by climbermonkey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

HT Saves the day once again!! just went out and did it, the plug was in a different spot than the ECU thread says (96 its up under the corner of the glove box) But i got seven long flashes and four quick, ...so error code 74, random misfire in cylinder #4. Lovely but at least you guys helped me out steering me in the right direction. Now i'm reading the Helms to figure out what to do bout this 74 code....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Let me know what helms says,
I was using a top engine cleaner before and i poured in too much too fast and i got the same code for cylinders 1 and 4, i just resetted the ecu and everything is running fine, but id like to know anyway if helms says anything about it.