Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Buy a Del Sol

Old 07-30-2005, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buy a Del Sol

To start off im a new user and looking to buy my first car.
Yesterday I found someone selling a 93 Del Sol Si. It has 290k kms on it and looks to be in excellent shape other then the minor rust on the rear fender, small rip on drivers seat and a small minor dent on the roof. Hes asking $6000cdn (keep in mind Del Sol's are alot more rare up north of the Border)
I am not sure if this is a good buy or not. First of all will the car have a fairly long life span after 290k kms? A engine swap has crossed my mind. I know the rust is fairly fixable and the rip in the drivers seat doesnt really bother me, gives me more of a reason to buy racing seats
I of course will take ti to get it inspected. Furthermore I think I could get it for around $5000.

So what are some thoughts? Good deal? Reasons?

Thanx alot
Old 07-30-2005, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Buy a Del Sol (nalgene)

Most Del Sol's are notorious for the worn cloth on the seats from exiting and entering the vehicle. But yeah the price does seem a bit high.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Buy a Del Sol (S(J)O(D)L(M))

Ok, I just msg'd him and asked how flexible he was on the price. if I could get it for $3600 that would be awesome. Rest of the money to a motor swap.
Oh i forgot to ask. Is the interior pretty big? I realize I will go test drive but im wondering if there is hope for a guy like myself (6'5"" to fit comfortably into a del sol.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Buy a Del Sol (nalgene)

your pretty tall for a del sol. Im only 5'8" and my head hits the sun visors on my cars.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Buy a Del Sol (junior40er)

if you're 5'8 and hitting the sun visor of a del sol, you've got to remove the 6 phonebooks you've got piled up on the seat.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:35 PM

I've heard of guys being 6'2 fitting in a del sol just fine but never a 6'5 holy jesus you're ganna have problems fititng into ANYTHING other than a SUV. But the seats in a del sol are fairly thin and sit VERY low compared to other vehicles. As far as cnd dollars, i really couldn't tell you if thats a good deal or not. But for a damn 93, a car that is 12+ years old, 290k kms, and rust? No where close to being worth 6k. I wouldn't give him more than 3.5k american money for that assuming that the top and trunk dont leek. Just think about how its rusting in one area, there's bound to be others that you dont know about. One suggestion when you go take a look at it would be to lift the carpet up in the trunk and look for any rust. if you have rust back there, you have a leek. also, refer to http://www.automotivetech.org and http://www.teamdelsol.com for more del sol related info. A lot of HT bone heads will shoot you into the wrong direction about these cars when they've never owned one. good luck