Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Bushing Kits

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 05:41 AM
Mike Jones

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bushing Kits

I have 93 Si Civic. Before i start motor swappin-turbo spooling stuff...
I think the suspension could use a bit of a re-do, give it that new car feel.

I was wondering what your guys/gals experiences were with urethane bushing kits, and if they are worth the 250 or so dollars!? lol

Another ? would definately be..How hard were they to install?!

Thanks a million.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bushing Kits (SlowPokeEg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SlowPokeEg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have 93 Si Civic. Before i start motor swappin-turbo spooling stuff...
I think the suspension could use a bit of a re-do, give it that new car feel.

I was wondering what your guys/gals experiences were with urethane bushing kits, and if they are worth the 250 or so dollars!? lol

Another ? would definately be..How hard were they to install?!

Thanks a million.</TD></TR></TABLE>

There's a lot of threads on these. They'll tighten up your suspension quite a bit, but they're noisier, so you have to keep them lubed. Also, only replace your trailing arm bushing with OEM, because the urathane is too stiff and will cause bump steer.

How much work have you done on your car? If you've done suspension work before, it shouldn't be too hard, but it is time consuming.

Modified by EX_AutoXer at 6:24 PM 10/14/2004
Old 10-13-2004, 06:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Bushing Kits (EX_AutoXer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EX_AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There's a lot of threads on these. They'll tighten up your suspension quite a bit, but they're noisier, so you have to keep them lubed. Also, only replace your LCA bushing with OEM, because the urathane is too stiff and will cause bump steer.

How much work have you done on your car? If you've done suspension work before, it shouldn't be too hard, but it is time consuming.</TD></TR></TABLE>

As EX_AutoXer stated - should use OEM or Mugen hard rubber busing for rear lca, and YES, it is very time consuming, even if you have the right tools!! - i.e. hydraulic press, bushing adapters, press plates, etc..
Old 10-13-2004, 02:59 PM
Mike Jones

Default Re: Bushing Kits (93CivicSI)

Yikes! lol

Thanks for the advice. I've done SOME suspension work before (not to the Honda, just bought it 5 days ago ) But nothing of this magnitude.

Maybe i'll just check and double check the stock bushings, maybe they're still in good enough shape to keep for a while.

Thanks again..
Old 10-14-2004, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bushing Kits (SlowPokeEg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SlowPokeEg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
maybe they're still in good enough shape to keep for a while.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SlowPokeEg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have 93 Si Civic. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Probably not But I'd check the shocks / springs and see how they are. It'd probably make more of a difference than the bushings right now. Get the kit, and while you're changing the shocks, replace whatever bushings you can get to.

Old 10-14-2004, 06:36 AM

omg you will handle so much better its not even funny theres a road on teh way to the track here in va, and i took it at 35 pushing it tires sqealing and all that bullshit now im capable of almost 70 with just bushing and Buddy Club dampers. So its a bug yes on that. By the way that was my childish days drive safe.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:43 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: (J-Spec EG)

I have the entire energy sus master set on my 1992 CX and I love it, but I'll never install another kit again.

The install is the biggest pain in the motherloving ***!

So what's this about bump steer and the lower control arm bushings? Anyone have some links with some comprehensive data on this? Sounds interesting...

Old 10-14-2004, 06:54 AM

im with EH2, i have the energy on the LCA and dont have any problems? Bump for some more info!
Old 10-14-2004, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (J-Spec EG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J-Spec EG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Bump for some more info!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Here you go:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=493789

I know there were a couple more threads on this in the RR/AutoX forum, but I'm having trouble finding them. I'm assuming they had some funky title.

Old 10-14-2004, 07:44 AM

Default Re: (EX_AutoXer)

Old 10-14-2004, 08:03 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

No the link provided talks about rear TRAILING arm busings, not lower control arms like you said earlier.

The energy master kit doesn't even come with trailing arm bushings, and I still have stock ones in my car anyways.

I know Prothane and Energy do make separate rear trailing arm kits, but I'm not interested in them because of the bump steer issue anyways. I had a felling you might have been confusing the trailing arm bushing for the LCA/lower control arms.

Old 10-14-2004, 08:09 AM
most hood white kid

i heard if u freeze the bushings before the install, it makes them easier to install, but still i heard the install was a bitch, i've thought about buying one, but I dont have the tools here, I would have to drive my car to TX cuz my dad has all the tools
Old 10-14-2004, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No the link provided talks about rear TRAILING arm busings, not lower control arms like you said earlier.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your right, sorry about that. I have absolutely no idea how I screwed the two up.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:17 PM
Mike Jones

OK then.........It's decided. The kit will be purchased!!

Thanks again for all the info. Think i'll go with Energy Suspension. So i think the WHOLE kit can be intalled then now.

Tom: as for the install.........If it's worth the ride, it's worth the pain i guess! lol

PS: You guys on HT

Old 10-14-2004, 10:22 PM

Default Re: (SlowPokeEg)

i hate my bushing kit. i liked it at first, but once i started racing i really wish i just had new oem bushings.

the lot we have here for autox has a few sections of moguls. (little bumps one after the other). going through these sections, my car is too goddamn stiff.

i cant stop because the wheels bind, get unloaded and it's really easy to lock up a wheel that doesn't have weight on it.

i can't accelerate because the wheels don't stay on the ground and the tach just bounces. i have 100 hp so it's not a traction problem

i can't turn well because the car just wants to go straight.

i've driven several other cars with rubber bushings and stiffer springs, and none of them have the problems i have on these bumpy sections.

search in the autox forum for bushings to see some more negative reviews. if you plan on racing at all at tracks or lots that are not perfect (everywhere) i'd recommend that you reconsider the es bushings.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:28 PM

replaced some. big pain to get the old ones out. a trick i learned is burn the rubber out with a torch, then hack saw a section out of the metal housing in the OEM and it comes right out! good luck. BTW i got a complete set for about 125 on Ebay, energy suspention brand