Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Burning Oil question with lots of detail for a detaled answer!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 11:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Burning Oil question with lots of detail for a detaled answer!

Running a GSR with some cams, IHE, and half *** tuned ECU. (VAFC Hack with all + on fuel but not much). Dont really beat on my much and have to tell a story. at 65,000 miles I ran the motor on Full synthetic 10w-30 mobil one. Ran 3,000 miles wiht that and lost about less than a quart. Next oil change at 68,000 or less I ran 5w-30 full synthetic Mobil 1. Didnt ever see any smoke when daily driving unless I hit VTEC. No carbon build up by muffler, never smelled oil when start ups etc. Just recently at about 70,500 before the next oil change I notice I have a bare minimum of oil. As in the first dot on the dipstick. I freaked out and put about a 1/2 a quart and found about a smidge of difference. I bet I blew through about 2 quarts. Now again, I have no oil leaks anywhere - except for one place I didnt check - the filter. I used some no name *** filter on the motor and wonder if it has a hole in it, but I dont see anything dripping. Plugs dont have oil on them at all and look a bit lean but thats another problem. Just wanna know what you all think, I have searched and read. Problems may be that I am most going for is Valve Stem Seals bad OR maybe a different oil and use dino oil?
Old 11-16-2004, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Burning Oil question with lots of detail for a detaled answer! (Truehondacom)

You mentioned that you are not getting any oil blow by unless you hit Vtec (high engine loads) sounds like you are blowing oil past the rings... - the reason that you do not see it most of the time is due to your catalytic converter burning it off and/or clogging....

Sounds like it is time for compression and leak down tests....

My .02

Old 11-16-2004, 12:03 PM

thats a really good point becuase my car has been smelling like gas more, which means the cat is dead or is dying? Can I move to a thicker oil? From 5-30 or dino? Recomendations?
Old 11-16-2004, 12:04 PM
All Motor Mentor

Default Re: Burning Oil question with lots of detail for a detaled answer! (93CivicSI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93CivicSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You mentioned that you are not getting any oil blow by unless you hit Vtec (high engine loads) sounds like you are blowing oil past the rings... - the reason that you do not see it most of the time is due to your catalytic converter burning it off and/or clogging....

Sounds like it is time for compression and leak down tests....

My .02

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Definitely a good place to start. It's not unusual for Honda's to burn a little oil in high rpm use and it will do it more noticeably when using lighter weight oils. Stick to the 10w30 for your car and that should reduce the amount of oil you'll use. My car uses oil if I'm racing it or driving it in high rpm's a lot and it's still virtually brand new at only 26,000 miles on it.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:09 PM

Yea im sure its not that bad, so I will go back up to a 10w-30 and check everything that I can.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:14 PM

Default Re: (Truehondacom)

TTT for more ideas

My checkliest now:

Compression Test
Leak down test
check plugs again
coolant again for a milkshake
oil pan leaks
oil filter leaks
Old 11-16-2004, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Burning Oil question with lots of detail for a detaled answer! (Truehondacom)

the first sign of burned piston rrings is white blueish smoke out the tail pipe when pushing the car. You should also feel the car be a lot slower if your rings are fucked up because compression leak or leak by is probably whats happening. For advice, do a simple compression test, and keep feeding that motor oil until you fix what is wrong!!!
Old 11-16-2004, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Burning Oil question with lots of detail for a detaled answer! (retarded)

my car does that to, but only under heavy loads. I am sure my rings are bad but i have never checked the compression, I am just hopefully doing a swap here soon
Old 11-16-2004, 04:58 PM

Plugs = good
Coolant = no milk
oil pan = no leaks
Seals = no leaks
Filter = no leaks
Valve seals prob dont leak becuase at startups there are no problems. Its blue smoke = piston rings shot. Probably why the motor is making shitty power numbers. Will fix that, hone bolck with some 500 grit, CP 11:5:1 pistons on stock rods and valve springs and retainers for the crowers. See what happens. Wideband 02 already on its way.