Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

burning oil?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default burning oil?!

hi how are you ht members

it seems like i am burning oil some how b/c i filled up my oil like 2 weeks ago and now it has low oil light on.... this happened before and i put 1 quart and later 1 more and it went fine.. what could it be? also the car smokes a lot from exhaust.. grey smoke.. it only happens when i rev high like upto 6 to 8rpm range...
Old 12-27-2005, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: burning oil?! (kihun_cha)

Most likely your piston rings (oil control ring) are worn. Get a leak down tester and check to see how worn they are. if you stop and let the car idle and it smokes right after you take off only than it could be your valve seals or guides, but in your case (it smokes while driving it at higher RPM's) I would put my money on the piston rings. GOOD LUCK.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: burning oil?! (dorkoftheyear)

Have you checked for oil LEAKS? Because a little smoke between 6 and 8k is normal.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: burning oil?! (dorkoftheyear)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dorkoftheyear &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Get a leak down tester and check to see how worn they are.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Not every one has access to shop air.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dorkoftheyear &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> if you stop and let the car idle and it smokes right after you take off only than it could be your valve seals or guides</TD></TR></TABLE>
Valve seals leak when the car is shut off, not when it is ideling, if he starts the car and a puff of blue smoke comes out then it is vavle seals.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dorkoftheyear &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> but in your case (it smokes while driving it at higher RPM's) I would put my money on the piston rings. GOOD LUCK.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would put money on a leak because if piston rings were leaking that bad he would lose ALOT of power.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:20 PM

That happened to me when I had my swap done.... My mechanic told me to take out the spark plugs a put about a spoon of transmission fluid in the combustion chamber with the car off and let it sit overnight, the next day when you start its going to smoke a lot for a few minutes, but it will stop, it worked for me....it still burn some oil when in VTEC but is normal....give it a try see if it works for you...If not you have to have the piston rings replaced...by the way my motor was a stock b16a2...
Old 12-27-2005, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: burning oil?! (EG_Type-R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG_Type-R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That happened to me when I had my swap done.... My mechanic told me to take out the spark plugs a put about a spoon of transmission fluid in the combustion chamber with the car off and let it sit overnight, the next day when you start its going to smoke a lot for a few minutes, but it will stop, it worked for me....it still burn some oil when in VTEC but is normal....give it a try see if it works for you...If not you have to have the piston rings replaced...by the way my motor was a stock b16a2...</TD></TR></TABLE>

sounds like a cheap seafoam

try seafoam, some smoke is normal but to the extent u speak of it abnormal. Compression and leakdown is the firs tthing you need for a proper eDiagnosis.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:37 AM

Default Re: burning oil?! (turbotime)

not trying to jack the thread but i noticed i burnt a quart of synthetic oil in three months on my z6, is that normal or should i be getting some test done too?
Old 01-02-2006, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kihun_cha &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i filled up my oil like 2 weeks ago and now it has low oil light on.... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Did you check the oil level with the dipstick? The oil light is not a level light, it's an oil pressure light. If it goes off because of low oil, you basically don't have any oil left.

Some of the main causes of oil pressure light: no oil or low enough level to starve pump; bad oil pump; headgasket leak.