Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Burning a half quart every 1000 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning a half quart every 1000 miles?

I have been burning a half quart of oil every 1000 miles. I have an em1 (b16). Is this normal? The car has 99,500 miles on it. It does not smoke at all.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Burning a half quart every 1000 miles? (zach1288)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zach1288 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have been burning a half quart of oil every 1000 miles. I have an em1 (b16). Is this normal? The car has 99,500 miles on it. It does not smoke at all.</TD></TR></TABLE>

no this is not normal. hmmm...you having 99,500 miles on it makes me wonder if the headgasket has been changed?

when you do a oil change, does it look milky? have you looked at your coolant? does it have oil in it?

these are a few common signs of a bad or going bad headgasket.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:52 PM

Just cause you don't see smoke doesn't mean it isn't burning/being consumed. If you spend a lot of time driving "spirited"(in VTEC), it'll use more oil, especially with the miles you have. If I rag on my car (220k on the clock) for a couple days the oil level in the pan drops a bit. And you shouldn't replace a head gasket until it goes on it's own. They dont have service intervals for head gaskets.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Burning a half quart every 1000 miles? (King V)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by King V &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just cause you don't see smoke doesn't mean it isn't burning/being consumed. If you spend a lot of time driving "spirited"(in VTEC), it'll use more oil, especially with the miles you have.</TD></TR></TABLE>

vtec has nothing to do with this and no motor should be burining oil unless there are other complications soon to follow.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:58 PM
Darth ModerVader

Consumption of 1/2 quart per 1000 miles is within the commonly accepted range for the DOHC VTEC engines. Indeed, the upper "limit" is generally considered to be about 1 quart per 1000 miles. Some engines won't consume nearly this much, and others will, but it isn't necessarily cause for concern.

How are the compression numbers? What oil are you running?
Old 11-15-2007, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Burning a half quart every 1000 miles? (King V)

No the oil looks fine, there is no coolant in it. I dont rev over 3k normally. How can the engine be falling apart already its a honda? 3 of my friends have accords with 300k+ miles on them and never had new headgaskets or rings or anything.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:01 PM

My EM1 has about 220k on it and only uses about 1 qt per 1000 miles. If i rag on it. I think you're worrying too much about a "normal" condition.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Burning a half quart every 1000 miles? (Padawan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

How are the compression numbers? What oil are you running? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I have never done a compression test but the owner before me did one and i cant remember the numbers but each cylinder was good and they were equal. I am running mobil 1 5w30 full syn.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Burning a half quart every 1000 miles? (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

no this is not normal. hmmm...you having 99,500 miles on it makes me wonder if the headgasket has been changed?

when you do a oil change, does it look milky? have you looked at your coolant? does it have oil in it?

these are a few common signs of a bad or going bad headgasket.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually it is normal. Thanks for playing though.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Burning a half quart every 1000 miles? (broke91hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by broke91hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Actually it is normal. Thanks for playing though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

hey, not a problem noob!
now that King V and Padawan posted with reasoning, you just jumped on the bandwagon i guess.

but hey, what can you expect from a noob.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:49 PM

Sure call me a noob all you want. Im sorry your dumbass didn't know what he was talking about when trying to offer advice. Not my fault, nor my problem. There is no bandwagon jumping here, it's called common knowledge, look it up.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Whoever thought up the word "noob" should be beaten.

Back on topic, that sounds about normal...plus, it could be worse, my B18C1 with low comp. forged pistons goes through about a 1/4 a quart every 2-3 weeks, but that's 350 miles of driving a week (Monday-Friday), but that just goes hand in hand with forged pistons.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Burning a half quart every 1000 miles? (JKov240)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JKov240 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Whoever thought up the word "noob" should be beaten.

Back on topic, that sounds about normal...plus, it could be worse, my B18C1 with low comp. forged pistons goes through about a 1/4 a quart every 2-3 weeks, but that's 350 miles of driving a week (Monday-Friday), but that just goes hand in hand with forged pistons. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree, it's kind of funny though. He calls me a noob because I called him out on his bad advice, yet a noob had also corrected him. Ah well, what can you expect from a noob.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by broke91hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sure call me a noob all you want. Im sorry your dumbass didn't know what he was talking about when trying to offer advice. Not my fault, nor my problem. There is no bandwagon jumping here, it's called common knowledge, look it up. </TD></TR></TABLE>

you right, i didn't know. hey, common mistake though, one i rarely make. but what would you know? it's easy to call someone a dumbass over a mistake, but i didn't see any tech info coming from you post, nor do i still see it.

bandwagaon, yes! you waited after King V and Padawan to post, then you want to make unnecessary comments to me. if you claim to have so much common knowledge, then why didn't you post sooner with some?

Old 11-15-2007, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Between playing Halo 3 on Xbox Live and Honda-Tech, I think I hear/read the word "noob" about 357 times a month.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bandwagaon, yes! you waited after King V and Padawan to post, then you want to make unnecessary comments to me. if you claim to have so much common knowledge, then why didn't you post sooner with some?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

He might not have been online or may have read it after you, I don't think it's that serious to start a big cat-fight over it.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:08 PM

I have a higher milage B series as well and I burn oil at about the same pace, worse when I use VTEC. It's not uncommon for this to happen and theres really no way to fix it with out pulling the motor and replacing internal seals.

Your rings will go as the cylinder warps, the compression is lost mainly due to the microscopic imperfections that begin to form over years of combustion in the engine. So basically, this can cause some oil to leak through and combust.

Also, your valve seals will go. This is also not uncommon, as the seals loose there actual seal... they will allow a minor amount of oil to leak into the combustion chamber with the air/fuel causing the burning of oil. These can be replaced with out pulling the motor, but taking apart your valve train is not a simple task unless you really know what your doing.

I burn oil, but I did notice that the seal between the oil catch pan (do not confuse this for the oil pan at the bottom of the motor) broke and allowed oil to leak out around the catch pan. The catch pan is located behind the block in the oil filter location. Basically right above the 1st o2 sensor in the headers, which a bracket is mounted to the headers and directly to the oil catch pan, an easy way to locate it.

My suggestion is this, go to your local autoparts store and buy a can of engine restore (should be about 6$). I use this in my engine as a temporary fix (using engine restore will only temporarly fix the consumption of oil). Pour it in as the oil level drops to the point you can add a full can of restore, however I suggest you put restore when you do your next oil change. Restore does a good job at sealing seals as well as filling in those microscopic imperfections that are forming on your cylinder walls. Again, do not confuse this with actually fixing what ever might be wrong, it only masks the problem and will temporarly fix the consumption of oil. After putting it in, your oil consumption will greatly reduce, as well as you will notice that your engine idle will increase (due to the fact restore will improve your compression).

The only way to fix this problem is like I said... pulling the motor and replacing internal seals and piston rings/honeing (possibly boring and tapping in new sleeves... depends on how bad the warpage is on the cylinder walls), which if you plan to do that, why not rebuild the entire motor entirly. Or just keep adding oil for the easyest way to handle this issue. Your motor is in no grave danger because it burns oil, its typical of higher milage engines. Just make sure you always have the proper amount of oil in the engine. Hope this helps
Old 11-15-2007, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by broke91hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I agree, it's kind of funny though. He calls me a noob because I called him out on his bad advice, yet a noob had also corrected him. Ah well, what can you expect from a noob.</TD></TR></TABLE>

corrected me? when and where? i still don't see any tech coming from you?
hurry up and google it, then retype on here.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JKov240 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

He might not have been online or may have read it after you, I don't think it's that serious to start a big cat-fight over it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

agreed, but was his original post toward me necessary?
Old 11-15-2007, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">agreed, but was his original post toward me necessary?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not really, but **** happens...it's an online forum. You're right sometimes and you're wrong sometimes...and 99.9% of the time that you're wrong, there will be someone there to make sure that you KNOW you're wrong. **** happens, move on.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JKov240 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Not really, but **** happens...it's an online forum. You're right sometimes and you're wrong sometimes...and 99.9% of the time that you're wrong, there will be someone there to make sure that you KNOW you're wrong. **** happens, move on. </TD></TR></TABLE>

JKov240 the peacemaker?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HCivicSi23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a higher milage B series as well and I burn oil at about the same pace, worse when I use VTEC. It's not uncommon for this to happen and theres really no way to fix it with out pulling the motor and replacing internal seals.

Your rings will go as the cylinder warps, the compression is lost mainly due to the microscopic imperfections that begin to form over years of combustion in the engine. So basically, this can cause some oil to leak through and combust.

Also, your valve seals will go. This is also not uncommon, as the seals loose there actual seal... they will allow a minor amount of oil to leak into the combustion chamber with the air/fuel causing the burning of oil. These can be replaced with out pulling the motor, but taking apart your valve train is not a simple task unless you really know what your doing.

I burn oil, but I did notice that the seal between the oil catch pan (do not confuse this for the oil pan at the bottom of the motor) broke and allowed oil to leak out around the catch pan. The catch pan is located behind the block in the oil filter location. Basically right above the 1st o2 sensor in the headers, which a bracket is mounted to the headers and directly to the oil catch pan, an easy way to locate it.

My suggestion is this, go to your local autoparts store and buy a can of engine restore (should be about 6$). I use this in my engine as a temporary fix (using engine restore will only temporarly fix the consumption of oil). Pour it in as the oil level drops to the point you can add a full can of restore, however I suggest you put restore when you do your next oil change. Restore does a good job at sealing seals as well as filling in those microscopic imperfections that are forming on your cylinder walls. Again, do not confuse this with actually fixing what ever might be wrong, it only masks the problem and will temporarly fix the consumption of oil. After putting it in, your oil consumption will greatly reduce, as well as you will notice that your engine idle will increase (due to the fact restore will improve your compression).

The only way to fix this problem is like I said... pulling the motor and replacing internal seals and piston rings/honeing (possibly boring and tapping in new sleeves... depends on how bad the warpage is on the cylinder walls), which if you plan to do that, why not rebuild the entire motor entirly. Or just keep adding oil for the easyest way to handle this issue. Your motor is in no grave danger because it burns oil, its typical of higher milage engines. Just make sure you always have the proper amount of oil in the engine. Hope this helps </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 11-15-2007, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

these are a few common signs of a bad or going bad headgasket.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't mean to threadjack but I have 122k miles on my motor and the
headgasket and plugs/wires have never been changed.. Should I have
replaced this already?
Old 11-15-2007, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> JKov240 the peacemaker? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Give me a badge and I'll gladly be the Honda-Tech Peacemaker Seriously though, it gets old seeing 5+ pages of people bickering over stupid stuff.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Re3irth &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't mean to threadjack but I have 122k miles on my motor and the
replaced this already?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd change the plugs/wires (you shouldn't really change the headgasket unless it's leaking). If the timing belt, waterpump, tensioner, etc. haven't been changed then it's past time to do that (Honda recommends 90K-100K)...transmission fluid flushing is a good thing, you can't go wrong with fresh fluids in a car
Old 11-15-2007, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Give me a badge and I'll gladly be the Honda-Tech Peacemaker Seriously though, it gets old seeing 5+ pages of people bickering over stupid stuff.

I'd change the plugs/wires (you shouldn't really change the headgasket unless it's leaking). If the timing belt, waterpump, tensioner, etc. haven't been changed then it's past time to do that (Honda recommends 90K-100K)...transmission fluid flushing is a good thing, you can't go wrong with fresh fluids in a car </TD></TR></TABLE>

I did change the timing belt/water pump at ~110k.
So I need to change plugs and wires.
What about distributor cap/rotor?
Old 11-15-2007, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Burning a half quart every 1000 miles? (Re3irth)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Re3irth &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Don't mean to threadjack but I have 122k miles on my motor and the
replaced this already?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i would consider the headgasket (up to you), but change the wires and plugs.

i like to keep up with the maintenece of my car. i personally haven't hit 100,000 miles on my b16 (84,000), but i like to change plugs every 12,000 miles, and have only changed the wires once. when i do hit 100K, i do plan on changing the headgasket. depending on my budget, block swap and motor rebuild. being this is not my daily driver i'm not in a rush.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:56 PM
Darth ModerVader

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zach1288 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am running mobil 1 5w30 full syn.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Many people seem to find that Mobil 1 (particularly the 5W-30) exhibits higher consumption than certain other oils. You may want to consider switching to something different at the next oil change and then monitoring the consumption to see if it improves.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Burning a half quart every 1000 miles? (Padawan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Many people seem to find that Mobil 1 (particularly the 5W-30) exhibits higher consumption than certain other oils. You may want to consider switching to something different at the next oil change and then monitoring the consumption to see if it improves. </TD></TR></TABLE>

thats the truth, Before my rebuild i ran mobil 5w30 and ran through more of that than any other oil.

after rebuild i run castrol gtx 5w30. i burn very little and my b16 seems to love it.<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

corrected me? when and where? i still don't see any tech coming from you?
hurry up and google it, then retype on here.

agreed, but was his original post toward me necessary? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry but you call someone a noob but you have 4k posts and didn't know that b series motors burn oil in vtec. Really??? I wouldn't throw the noob word around if you yourself are still learning basics of hondas.

Quick Reply: Burning a half quart every 1000 miles?