Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Burned up my clutch, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2003, 01:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burned up my clutch, need advice

So for whatever reason, I decided it would be a good idea to dump my clutch at 6k RPM's on my 2000 DX Hatch. The engine stayed there for about 10 seconds, as my car moved about 5mph the whole time. Needless to say, my garage is smelling pretty nice (not), and my 55k mile clutch is feeling noticeably slippy.

I've spent the last 3 hours searching, reading my HELM, and looking under my car and trying to decide how feasible the whole task is going to be for me to change it myself, and I've decided I can do it (with the help of a friend required most likely).

I've been advised that it is a must to get the flywheel resurfaced? Is this true? If so, is it worth it to get a new OEM flywheel for $75 instead?

Any suggestions for a decent clutch for a stock D16Y7? I'm looking at the Exedy package. Does this look like a good deal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...=6780

I've read (including in the HELM) that a hoist is suggested. Should I try to get ahold of one, or can I get away without it (without being a pain in the ***, since I have never dropped a tranny before).

Any other advice for this newb is appreciated.

-a

EDIT ... oh and one more thing. I've been looking at the "Ring Gear Holder" special part (the thing that's used to keep the flywheel from spinning when you remove the bolts) ... do they readily sell this at the Honda dealer? Can I get away without it? I read on a thread on here that someone used a screwdriver wedged between the teeth of the flywheel to do it. Sounds kinda ghetto, but if it works?
Old 05-10-2003, 04:03 AM

Default Re: Burned up my clutch, need advice (Achenar)

when it comes around to messing around with your tranny I would leave it to a professional.....you may save yourself a big headache...

depending on the condition of your flywheel you probably only need to resurface it unless you want to upgrade to a lighter aftermarket flywheel
Old 05-10-2003, 04:49 AM

DIY. Its not really that hard. If ur into mods and are keepign that motor, id get a lightweight flywheel, if not resurface. IF u like clutch dumps, id get something a little better then exedy.
Old 05-10-2003, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Burned up my clutch, need advice (01-1293)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 01-1293 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
depending on the condition of your flywheel you probably only need to resurface it unless you want to upgrade to a lighter aftermarket flywheel</TD></TR></TABLE>

Doesn't matter what kind of condition your flywheel is in. If you are going to change your clutch get it resurfaced, it's dirt cheap.

Do you have the tools and the time to try and change your clutch yourself? If so, I would go for it. Good learning experience.
Old 05-10-2003, 05:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Burned up my clutch, need advice (01-1293)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 01-1293 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when it comes around to messing around with your tranny I would leave it to a professional.....you may save yourself a big headache...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Taking a tranny off is cake. You don't need experience to take one off. All you need is common sense, muscle, and a few tools. With a friend, it will only be easier.

He also has a helms manual. It's hard to go wrong with one.

Now about the clutch replacement.. I'd definetely get a stock one again unless you are really in need of something with a stronger engagement.

Flywheel is very cheap to be resurfaced. Don't waste money on a new one.

Old 05-10-2003, 06:26 AM

if you're doing it with more than one person, make sure you either mark where every single bolt came from, or your friends have a good memory about that sort of thing. my friends do not. so every bolt i took out is back, but theres one left over, and it doesn't go where it looks like it should :-D
Old 05-10-2003, 06:30 AM

Default Re: (TheBaron)

Yes, that is a good idea. Get a peice of cardboard and draw the bolt points on it. Then push them through the cardboard in the correct locations. (is what I'd suggest.. it's what I do...)
Old 05-10-2003, 06:37 AM

Default Re: (Nameless EJ6)

Hey taking off the tranny isn't that easy. I took mine off with a friend and it was very difficult. If it wasn't for my friend knowing what to do it would have taking me forever and a day to figure that it out. Unfortunately I also have a mystery bolt leftover. I guess the bolt isn't important since my car has been running fine for 6 months.
Old 05-10-2003, 07:14 AM

Default Re: (redsled00)

I forgot to mention..

I personally - just take the whole engine out when I take my tranny off.
Old 05-10-2003, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (redsled00)

When taking on a big project:
1) I put all screws, bolts, etc in ziploc bags, according to where they came from.
2) If you have a digicam or a polaroid, take pictures of each step. It helps alot with reassembly.
Old 05-10-2003, 08:22 AM

Default Re: (t0p_sh0tta)

Dropping the tranny and changing the clutch isn't that hard...i did it with a friend as my first real work on my car and we finished in about 1 day (with breaks of course)...you really dont need a ahoist, just a couple of jacks and jack stands...you will need more than one jack when you drop the tranny...one to hold the engine and the other to hold the tranny.....you should get the flywheel resurfaced...its only like $30 bucks...the exedy clutch is good for stock power...thats what i put on my 95 ex, and it holds well....(can almost chirp it in third)....it shouldnt be too hard...but expect the unexpected, and be ready to spend a little more than you expect...misc. parts (lube, bolts, washers, cotter pins, etc.) good luck and check back if you have any more questions.....