Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Bunch of car problems. Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bunch of car problems. Please help!

Hey guys. Well a while ago i posted about my car sputtering. I changed a bunch of stuff. I flushed my coolant, got oem plug wires, changed the spark plugs and gapped them correctly, changed the cap and rotor. And finally I took off the iacv and blasted it with a bunch of carb cleaner.

Originally my car was sputtering during idle (still does), but sputtered even worse while coming down in RPM's from throttle. The sputtering while coming down from throttle went away but the slight (ever so slight) sputter during idle still exhists.

Another thing I have noticed is for some reason when I lightly press the gas... veery lightly. The RPM gets stuck at 1500 and bounces 100+/- RPM. But I can press the gas harder and it will be fine after 1500rpm and before. It's just 1500RPMs is where it gets starts to stumble.

Does anyone know what my problems can be?!?! Oh yeah, I also noticed I am running pretty damn rich. I had a friend take thorttle to 6k rpm and a lot of dark grayish smoke came out of the exhaust. Ignitiong was Set.. and double checked... 16*btc @650rpm
Old 06-23-2005, 09:28 PM

Default Re: Bunch of car problems. Please help! (Plugg'd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Plugg’d &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey guys. Well a while ago i posted about my car sputtering. I changed a bunch of stuff. I flushed my coolant, got oem plug wires, changed the spark plugs and gapped them correctly, changed the cap and rotor. And finally I took off the iacv and blasted it with a bunch of carb cleaner.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Check timing and vacuum leaks. Probably wont fix the problem but you gotta get everything up to par.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bunch of car problems. Please help! (RangerDan)

j/w can unadjusted valves cause problems like this?
Old 06-23-2005, 09:39 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Plugg’d &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">j/w can unadjusted valves cause problems like this?</TD></TR></TABLE>

oh yeah adjust your valves.

Ive got a buddy of mine who is one of those elite mech's... you know the guy that knows and works on everything from 2 strokes, diesels and jet boats...

Well whenever I have a problem the first thing he tells me to do is "do a compression check" and dammit if it doesnt always say something about the engine.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump! anymore ideas?
Old 06-23-2005, 11:23 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Plugg’d &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bump! anymore ideas?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah do that other stuff and get back with us.

lol...what part of Washington are you from I know a really good and fair Honda Mech in the tri-cities area.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm. I dont know. I've done a compression test and i got a consistant 180 across all 4 cylinders one time and another time I got 170 across all 4.

I live in Tacoma. =P i'm willing to tow my car to the tri-cities area though.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:32 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Plugg’d &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hmm. I dont know. I've done a compression test and i got a consistant 180 across all 4 cylinders one time and another time I got 170 across all 4.

I live in Tacoma. =P i'm willing to tow my car to the tri-cities area though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I will try and contact him tomorrow and see if its cool that I give you his number...perhaps he can help you by phone.

I sure hope I dont space this off for you!!!!!!
Old 06-23-2005, 11:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh! LOL. I was just kidding about towing my car there! Sorry lol. Well yeah, that would definately be cool though to try somehting over the phone. It's hard to find good help around these parts! So i come on H-T
Old 06-24-2005, 02:35 AM

any CELs?
Old 06-24-2005, 03:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bunch of car problems. Please help! (d15bcoupe)

Nope. Never threw a CEL
Old 06-24-2005, 05:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

do you know why you are running so rich? my car used to sputter, and it was because i was running too rich. I got a b&m fpr and did the mod to lower pressure.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bunch of car problems. Please help! (IHateJDM)

From what one of the HTers has told me. I am most likely running rich because of my o2 sensor giong bad. It's not getting a good a/f reading and it's probably spraying too much fuel.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the voltage at your O2 sensor when the car is running at operating temp.

Check your vacuum at idle. It should be between 18 and 22 inches of mercury. If the gauge bounces all over the place then the motor is not mechanically sound. It it is steady then the engine is fine. If it is too low then your have a vacuum leak.

I doubt you have a vacuum leak anywhere because that would cause your car to run very lean.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay i have another quick question. If my car needs a new o2 sensor, or if the tps was off, then wouldn't my ecu notice that and throw a CEL?

How can I tell if my cel is working or not working? I never throw a cel except for the 2 seconds that it comes on when starting.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

might want to try an induction cleaning... carbon buil up on the combustion chamber can cause rough idle... if it doesnt clear up the problem trust me it cant do any harm
Old 06-25-2005, 11:55 PM

try replacing your fuel filter and running some seafoam through your motor. Check o2 sensor too.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Can I butt in? how do you check O2 sensor voltage? @ the sensor or ECU/ what wire on the sensor? I know you can damage the heater circuit.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bunch of car problems. Please help! (neutron91)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by neutron91 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">might want to try an induction cleaning... carbon buil up on the combustion chamber can cause rough idle... if it doesnt clear up the problem trust me it cant do any harm </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds interesting. Induction cleaning... I searched and didn't find much. What exactly goes down in the process? Is it only done by shops? Expensive?
Old 06-28-2005, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

we have a little machine that does it at my work but you can do it yourself pretty easily... just get a can of fuel rail cleaner and a can of throttle body cleaner... with the car running, remove the vacuum hose from the brake booster and jam another vacuum hose in there with a smaller diameter hole so you wont suck in too much cleaner at one time... you want the smallest hole possible... insert the end of the hose in the fuel rail cleaner and sit the bottle somewhere where it wont fall over... now, with the intake arm off, begin spraying the throttle body cleaner into the throttle plate a little at a time... you will also have to keep revving the throttle cable as you will find out or the car will die due to the fuel rail and throttle body cleaner... now you want to make this process as slow as you can... the slower you do it, the cleaner it will get the intake and combustion chamber... once all is gone take it around the block and get on it... i wouldnt take it all the way due to the high temp that the cleaner burns but definitely put it under a heavy load... at this point it will smoke like a bitch but this is just all the carbon being burnt off... once it stops smoking you should notice a big difference in throttle response and idle quality