Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Bumper Lip Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bumper Lip Problem

Sorry but I've never owned a Civic before and just now started modding my daily driver. I thought 92-95 EG Coupes and Hatches have the same front bumper? I got a new Type R lip for my Coupe but it's made for a Hatch but I got a good deal on it and it's excellent shape. Problem is, when I test fitted it, it was too short on the ends about 1/2" on each side. Now, before I start modifying the lip, should I just get a hatch front bumper? If it is slightly different/shorter, do you think it would fit on the Coupe? Much appreciated on the help! One way or another, I will find out next time I go junkyard shopping. I remember seeing a mint Hatch 2 days ago that I could probably snag the front bumper off of.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bumper Lip Problem (ICEMAN707)

Coupes and hatches have the same bumper. You will half to make it fit.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bumper Lip Problem (verycleanhatch)

Is this a common problem with knockoff lips? Also, I also got foglights w/ housings and it looks like I have to cut out the vents to get them in there. I thought they were removable...guess not. I guess I got my work cut out for me on this damn bumper. Time to bust out the Rotozip!
Old 05-24-2006, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ICEMAN707 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is this a common problem with knockoff lips? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Most posts that i have read had problems with replica lips. I have a jdmpassword lip and it fits good though.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just about anything not OEM will have fitment problems.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

they should fit tight...if you can do it by yourself your tha sh@t..I did it with the help of a friend...try to start one side and have a friend hold it on then work the other side on...once its on strait make a mark on the bumper on severl sports were the lip falls on the front edge...remove the lip run a peice of masking tape on your marks as a guide so it is on strait, put 3M double sided tape on the lip and install same as above, except once you get the first side started put 2 screws on and then do the other..hope this help....
Old 05-24-2006, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bumper Lip Problem (sleepencivic)

Sleepencivic, so you're saying this is supposed to be a super-snug fit and I need to stretch the heck out of it to get it over the bumper? I was having trouble pulling and stretching on it. Maybe it was cut/trimmed wrong and I need to trim it some more at the top before I mess with the sides. Any one of you got a Type-R style lip and have pics? Preferably painted the same color as the car.

Just a lil info: I'm painting my car jet-black with 4-6 coats of clear and silver and gold accents like tribals or stripes. Maybe add some gunmetal pearl on top of the black. I don't like the turquoise green it is now. I like it clean and sharp. I removed all the dents and dings and I shaved the door handles, emblems, and moldings and installed an alarm with an Autoloc door popper kit. So right now it's half turquoise green and grey primer and ready for paint...as soon as I take care of this lip problem. I might add a hood tribal at the most with some nice 17" gold, gunmetal, or black wheels with a nice polished lip. And perhaps some gunmetal stripes down the middle with red/orange pinstripe outlines.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I figured out the problem. It was cut/trimmed wrong at the ends where it gets behind the lower part of the bumper. I trimmed those tabs off some more and now it fits good. I'm planning on molding the lip into the bumper to make it permanent. Some epoxy glue, self tap screws, and some JB weld should do the job then some Duraglass and a bit of Bondo.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't mold it to the bumper man. What if you don't like it anymore?
Old 05-24-2006, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I like it. I do fiberglass work anyways and I can always change/modify it when I get bored with the look. But having the lip molded, the fog lights, and a nice chrome billet grill for the middle opening is the look I really wanted anyways. I'm planning on getting a billet grill off a Ford F-150 and cut it to fit. Anyone know where I can find billet grill at a cheap price? I always see them at $99. I want one cheaper so I won't be so leary about cutting it up.