Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Built D16Y8 idle and occasional studder issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Built D16Y8 idle and occasional studder issues

Hey guys, my friend has a 2000 Civic with the D16y8, OBDI conversion that is turbo'd. He got the car back in April/May and I've been helping him clean it up for the past few months. So far the issues have been relatively minor, but for the past few weeks the topic issues have come up.

Now, I have already replaced the spark plugs and wires, as the car was having major hesistation, studdering issues at any speed and at a stop. That relieved that particular problem.

However, the car still has a problem with the fluctuating idle. When the car starts up, its USUALLY fine. On a typical start up it just idles high for a while, but calms down after 10 to 30 seconds. Sometimes though, it will go right to flucuating between 200 to around 1300 rpms. Sometimes it will even die after about 15 seconds.

The idle will also flucuate occasionally after putting the car in neutral when coming to a stop. Sometimes it will die then as well.

Also, the car still rarely studders under heavier throttle, mostly in 2nd and 3rd. Before it also wasn't throwing a code, but it does now everytime the car is turned on. Won't come on until a few seconds have passed.

UPDATE: Was code 92

The car has ran real well besides this for being so modified. I have done a pretty good amount of research on this and found others have had similar issues. I didn't want to threadjack them, so I started my own. From what I've gathered, three common problems have been distributor, O2 sensor, and TPS.

As far as details on each of these parts, I know the distributor is new right before my friend bought the car (doesn't mean its not bad, just letting you guys know its less likely the culprit). The O2 sensor is fairly new, but of course could have gone bad. I DO know the TPS sensor was having problems when it was tuned (March 09). However, the problem only just came up within these past few weeks. I will be checking it out as soon as I can get him to bring his car over.

Mostly what I'm hoping to get from you guys is any further insight or info. Trust me, I realize it could be none of the three things I listed. So please, if you have had these specific problems before, let me know how you solved it. If anyone has further questions on the car or how it acts please let me know. I will be taking a close look at it when he gets free time from school and work to bring it over, so I will know more then. And of course once I get a solution I will let you guys know what I did. Thank you all in advance.

Last edited by Bwill9886; 08-01-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Built D16Y8 idle and occasional studder issues

Nothing? Fair enough. Thanks for at least looking guys.

Thought I should add that its gonna probably be awhile before I look at anything because it now appears to exhibit no problems (go figure, go to the trouble of writing all that and it stops).

I'm not holding my breath that it won't start again, but I'm not gonna screw with anything if it just might make it come back.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Built D16Y8 idle and occasional studder issues

This is mostly for anyone that comes across this and has the same issue.

I finally got to check out his car, as the problems reoccured (as I figured they would).

TPS sensor was off on both voltages. The WOT was off by 0.2v and the idle was off by about 0.40v (normal is around 0.48-0.49, it was reading just below 0.10v).

Car runs just fine now. No idle problems whatsoever for 2 weeks.