Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

building my z6, here is my ideas

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building my z6, here is my ideas

ok, getting ready to rebuild my d16z6, Right not I dont want to swap in a b series, just want to stick with my D. I've been searching and looking at diffrent setups and have came up with this list of parts. I'm not for sure if all of this is compatible so I'm gonna make this list and let you guys take a look at it and give me some opinions.

z6 block
z6 Head (port and polish)
y8 Head Gasket
D16a6 Pistons
LS Rods
Stock Crank (if I can use it, not for sure if the LS rods will bolt to the z6 crank)
JDM d15 Cam or possibly a zex cam
Prob stock valves (i'm not for sure if this would work at all or if I would even benefit from this, but would adding the valves from the d15y5 be any better. I know they are supposed to have some kind of coating on them to reduce friction.

Arp rod bolts, Honda Mains, Arp Head Studs,
and to finish it off a z6 timing belt and water pump

this is just the idea I have in my head and I'm not even sure if all of these parts will go together. I'm 90% pos. except the HX valves and LS rods.

Any help,suggestions,or ideas would be great!

thanks
Old 01-22-2004, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: building my z6, here is my ideas (92lxsedan)

wow.. i thought i would at least get some "your stupid and have no idea what your talking about" replies, but this sux I havent even got a good or bad reply
Old 01-22-2004, 01:06 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't see the point of making a "plan" for a d-series. If you plan on spending several thousand dollars, why don't you start saving for a B-series swap. You will have a faster, more reliable motor for a cheaper price. Most d-series guys just keep doing mods one after the other...without a set "plan" in place. If you're planning on dumping a ton of money into a motor, why don't you do it to a GOOD motor. I'm not bashing your setup or anything but if I was planning to spend thousands of dollars on my D15...I would save my money instead for a better motor.
Old 01-22-2004, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: building my z6, here is my ideas (BauleyCivic)

i didnt really think it would cost THOUSANDS of dollars i already have the an entire a6 engine all i would need is the rods, cam and the head gasket thats like 1000 max
Old 01-22-2004, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

sounds like a solid build. here are some other small things that you can/should do to help out- integra tb, port match the manifolds to the head since your already gonna do p&p, hondata or similar intake gasket, lightweight flywheel(new clutch- if you are planning on not using forced induction, then even the exedy street disc is a solid choice). dont forget a cam gear and something to raise your rev limit to take advantage of whatever cam u put in there's higher powerband. looks pretty solid otherwise
Old 01-22-2004, 01:30 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92lxsedan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i didnt really think it would cost THOUSANDS of dollars i already have the an entire a6 engine all i would need is the rods, cam and the head gasket thats like 1000 max</TD></TR></TABLE>

All right then...well it sounds like a good setup...
Old 01-22-2004, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92lxsedan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
z6 block
z6 Head (port and polish)
y8 Head Gasket
D16a6 Pistons
LS Rods
Stock Crank (if I can use it, not for sure if the LS rods will bolt to the z6 crank)
JDM d15 Cam or possibly a zex cam
Prob stock valves (i'm not for sure if this would work at all or if I would even benefit from this, but would adding the valves from the d15y5 be any better. I know they are supposed to have some kind of coating on them to reduce friction.

Arp rod bolts, Honda Mains, Arp Head Studs,
and to finish it off a z6 timing belt and water pump

this is just the idea I have in my head and I'm not even sure if all of these parts will go together. I'm 90% pos. except the HX valves and LS rods.</TD></TR></TABLE>

z6 block + z6 head + 3-layer y8 head gasket + a6 pistons ~10:1 CR

z6 block + z6 head + 3-layer y8 head gasket + a1 (p29) pistons ~12:1 CR

i am assuming your going for a NA setup. the LS rods will have to be shaved on the big end and rebushed to fit the d-series wristpins. (unless you use certain civic GX pistons...which is another topic in itself, or aftermarket) if your going for cheap just use the z6 rods and have them shotpeened. zex/comp cam...or whatever brand of z6 cam you like...why bother with a d15b cam??? is it better than the z6 or is it just jdm? also get the biggest overbore pistons you can...20 over or whatever. this will help with breathing if the combustion chamber is modified to unshroud the valves. stock valvetrain should be fine if you pick a cam that makes power without raising rev limit. ive never heard about the d15y5 valve coating?

just cause its a d-series doesnt mean its crap...but i definately wouldnt take out a loan to put money into it. thats the beauty of the d-series...its cheap...blow it up buy another for $150.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok I was playing around with the compression calcuator tonight, here was my setup--

z6head
z6block
y8head gasket
p29 pistons

that was a 13.6:1 compression ratio

does that sound about right? can I still run pump gas,prob a 93 octane right?

AlsoI was wondering about the clearance between the pistons and valves, I will prob have to stay with the stock cam becuause aftermarket will prob give me to much lift, or maybe I could stick with a lower profile cam.....

anyway 13:1 sounds a bit steep for this setup...

anyone currently running a similar setup have any input, I'm just trying not to jump on the banwagon like everyone else here seems to be doing (buying a b -series)
Old 01-22-2004, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

13:1 can't run on pump gas...unless you have a 76 nearby with 100 octane on pump like I do. I believe on 93 you can run maybe up to 12:1. Not really sure...cause here in CA...we have shitty *** 91, and we can barely run 11.5:1. So if you're goin to drive this on the street...you should get your CR down.

Anyone wanna second me on this just to make sure I'm giving the right answer?
Old 01-22-2004, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what about JE pistons for a z6 the 12.5:1 wouldnt that just do everything i just talked about.

sorry i'm a n00b
Old 01-22-2004, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Stay away from the a1 pistons. a6 pistons will be great for your setup and it sounds like you have the complete list. Just make sure as well as you can that whoever does the machining has the proper specs. Give the rods and extra .0002-.0004" clearance since they like to spin. IM me if you want some help. I LOVE d series engines.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92lxsedan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok I was playing around with the compression calcuator tonight, here was my setup--

z6head
z6block
y8head gasket
p29 pistons

that was a 13.6:1 compression ratio</TD></TR></TABLE>

what compression calculator were you using?

the above setup yeilds ~12.03:1 CR......just like i put in my above post. the same setup with PM6 pistons is about 9.95:1.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: building my z6, here is my ideas (fastcrxsi90)

http://www.knology.net/~jediklc/D.htm

Thats the calculator I was using.
Old 01-23-2004, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

make sure you choose the correct piston to deck height. that measurement changes with the piston not the block. ie p29 = 0.040" in a d16 block and pm6 = 0.020" in a d16 block. a d15 has a different deck height so would have to be calculated, if you want those specs too ask me cause i have dont all the calculations. (like if you want to put a d15 piston in a d16 block or visa versa)

for:
z6head
z6block
y8head gasket
p29 pistons

use 0.040" (corresponds to p29/pm7 piston to deck height) for the p-to-d height...this gives 12.03:1 CR

using 0.000" gives 13.6:1 which would be correct if you decked the block 0.040" but uncorrect if you dont. if i dont make sense IM me and ill try to explain it better.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the Ls rods will work with the D16 crank they just require a little machining to fit properly. http://www.alternativehonda.com has some good tips for sohc builds. this isnt going to cost you that much at all. get a 60mm Tb and port match your IM. i also just bought a 8lb aluminum flywheel(brand new from a guy that sells em)for $162 shipped. his email is flywheeldude@hotmail.com if you want to hit him up. i think he has a few left. good luck with your build