Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Building My 98 Civic

Old 05-24-2019, 08:23 PM
Trial User

Default Building My 98 Civic

Hi, I know itís probably been wayyy over asked but what can I do for my civic? It has a d16y7 in it and from what Iíve heard they can hold up to 220whp safely before the rods need to be replaced with stronger ones.
Ive already planned to turbo it, see about replacing the pistons and rods, add a short ram air intake, replace the intake manifold with a race one with no cat, see about a different exhaust setup (but donít want a rice burner sound), Iíve seen a lot about swapping the head for a d16y8 head (but I donít know how to wire stuff and donít wanna blow the car up), clearly gunna replace the stock radiator with a newer one and a nicer fan, and Iíve seen a lot about getting a hondata chip but again idk how to wire stuff.
This is a small checklist of stuff I still need to do but if thereís anything I didnít list or a specific maker or item like a radiator thatís worked wonders for you feel free to let me know. Iím pretty much doing this all diy so I have very limited tools.
Its a 1998 Honda Civic Lx with a d16y7 engine and tranny, with an OBD2 in it. Atm the only engine code being thrown is the heater coil in the mass airflow sensor is bad. Iím just trying to see whatís been done and a lot of these posts Iíve seen are back from 2006 and Iíd like a newer updated idea, cause technology has changed so maybe mores been found out about these engines.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:29 PM
H-T Basic Sponsor

Default Re: Building My 98 Civic

Any pictures?
Old 05-24-2019, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Building My 98 Civic

No catalytic converter in the intake manifold? Definitely donít need one in there!

Your car has a messed up heating element in the MAF sensor? What will you do to fix that?
Old 05-25-2019, 06:00 AM
Trial User

Default Donít judge the looks

As of right now, Iím going to leave the damage and make it a sleeper.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: