Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

building motor... what should i do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building motor... what should i do?

hey guys, ive got a stock b16b in my 2000 EK hatch, and i wanted to put a little into the motor to give it an extra push.

i want to only spend about 1000 on the motor tops. reason being, im putting most of my money into cosmetics, and i want it to stay reliable (collage) but i still want to turn heads and get pushed back into my seat. really, i just want it to be quicker then stock, and i would like it to be quicker then a JDM (b18c) ITR but idk if thats possible with my low budget. i just want best bang for the buck kinda thing. my car is mostly about looks. you all know the best brands, so let me in on the good and the bad.

also, it has 90,000 miles on it, so its aging...

here is what i was thinking... higher compression pistons, maybe so spoon type r ones
more aggressive cams, (alltho i hear ctr are the best.)
maybe port and polish the head, but idk wtf that does power wise...
titanium retainers
diffrent valves, (are there valves that raise compression? idk.. though ive seen that...)
bigger TB
bored intake manifold
headers
light weight flywheel (while not technically part of the motor...)

i wana keep it na and im not going all out (as you can tell for the 1000 bucks i wana spend.) i just want an extra little UMPH... ya know?

thanks a ton guys!

so want i want is all ur suggestions, because i dont know much about internal and head work... and i don't know much about tuning or ECU's... all in all i don't really know much lol. so any help and suggestions, anything pointing me in the right direction would be awesome...
Old 05-05-2008, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: building motor... what should i do? (teh Dirka)

What is "collage"?

If you mean college, aren't you IN college?

rofl.

1) If you have $1k to spend, you'll never be able to do a good port and polish with any other mods at all. A good port and polish runs $1k or more.
2) A bored intake manifold? Do you mean ported? I would maybe port match the IM to the head, maybe.

I get the idea you're getting this cash and just wanna mod the car, but have no real goals or, well, sense of what good mods cost.

My suggestion is this: Figure out exactly what your goals are. If you want 190whp or more, $1k isn't gonna get you there, no matter what route you take. So, decide your power goals, then start buying the appropriate mods in preparation for that. It will take some saving and some intelligence and a LOT of research!

good luck
Old 05-05-2008, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: building motor... what should i do? (chimmike)

buy a nitrous kit