Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

building a D a waste of time ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 04:48 PM
Dat Dere Cell Tech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building a D a waste of time ?

I was just wondering if its worth trying to build up my d16 to be competitive with the DOHC motors out there is a waste. A guy i know can get me a JRSC for pretty cheap, and if that dont work out i wouldnt mind doing a turbo instead of swapping motors, since im broke and all, so any advice would be great.
Old 08-15-2003, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No its not a waste of time...lots of people do it. D motors are really cheap if you happen to break something too.

Just...avoid the supercharger and get the turbo...just my 2cents
Old 08-15-2003, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: building a D a waste of time ? (daklown)

D motors are also about 75 lbs lighter than their B-series cousins.
Old 08-15-2003, 04:56 PM
Dat Dere Cell Tech

yeah im gonna pull the A/c too cause the compressor shattered.
Old 08-15-2003, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.homemadeturbo.com

there are plenty of ppl building turbo kits for their cars for cheap, and it will be faster than a stock swap
Old 08-15-2003, 05:08 PM

i personally think its a waste of time cuz if your looking to be competative with the allmotor b-series, than u got alot of money and time to spend.

sure you can boost a d-series to beat a b-searies, but it will take a bit more than stock boost to do it. uh oh... where did the reliablility go?? that means u gotta change the internals... more $$$. by the time you compensate for all the hidden costs, u could have bought a nice b18c1 or even c5 and with some nice bolts ons be just as fast with waaaaaaaay more reliablility.

sure singlecam parts are cheaper, but when boosing alot, your more likely to break something. and do you really have the down time to fix it??? even if it is cheaper. jus something to think about

so to answer your question, it wont be very competative unless its built a little.

Old 08-15-2003, 05:23 PM
Dat Dere Cell Tech

honestly, id never boost anything without internals. period.
Old 08-15-2003, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

go for it. check out spade's d series upgrades thread.
Old 08-15-2003, 05:28 PM

ok, if you are going to build the motor, it is a super waste of time. parts for building a B and D are about the same, so yes it's a waste of time if you are going to build the motor up, just start with a better platform, that's the best way to put it.
Old 08-15-2003, 05:30 PM
GSRswapandslow

i'm building an 11 second street D right now

they make good TQ numbers, AND they are never expected to be fast. hella street racer
Old 08-15-2003, 05:34 PM

Default Re: (GSRswapandslow)

lol, 11 second streetable D series, i'd love to see that!!!!
Old 08-15-2003, 05:34 PM

Default Re: building a D a waste of time ? (PhatHardy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PhatHardy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, if you are going to build the motor, it is a super waste of time. parts for building a B and D are about the same, so yes it's a waste of time if you are going to build the motor up, just start with a better platform, that's the best way to put it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
exactly! stock parts for a D series may be a little cheaper, but performance parts are about the same for both
Old 08-15-2003, 05:37 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GSRswapandslow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm building an 11 second street D right now

they make good TQ numbers, AND they are never expected to be fast. hella street racer</TD></TR></TABLE>
trailering it to a street doesnt count
Old 08-15-2003, 05:43 PM
GSRswapandslow

RLZ had an 11 second street D, with a ******* 15g Greddy kit.

it's all about the build. And you WILL see it soon. More than likely, my best friends will be running right with me. i'm doing ITBs just for the **** of it..and he's getting a mani built. We're going to see if there are any benifits between the two.
Old 08-15-2003, 05:46 PM

wait... let me get this straight.. your running ITBs and a turbo???
Old 08-15-2003, 05:51 PM
GSRswapandslow

similar to the GTiR factory setup, but not exactly.

we're taking the plenum from a y8 and making it fit. i'll get pics of the build up of it. J.Davis, Overblownteg, and maybe Max CFM are all helping.
Old 08-15-2003, 05:52 PM

well, i guess 11 sec can make sense on a built turbo setup. i mistook you for meaning u were all motor. my bad
Old 08-15-2003, 05:53 PM
GSRswapandslow

yes, i am. it'll be similar to the GTiR setup, but not the same.

J.Davis and I are building and tuning, Overblown-teg (Todd) is making the flanges, and Max CFM supplied the ITBs

we'll get pics during the build up
Old 08-15-2003, 05:56 PM
GSRswapandslow

haha, double post!
Old 08-15-2003, 05:57 PM

Default Re: (AzCivicCpe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AzCivicCpe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a used engine(b series) with unknown history/mileage, yeah thats reliable...</TD></TR></TABLE>
gee, do i sense a hint of sarcasm... same thing could happen to someone who bought a D-series
Old 08-15-2003, 05:58 PM
GSRswapandslow

yes, it will be boosted and built...and maybe witha direct port setup so i can run a little bit bigger turbo.
Old 08-15-2003, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A b18c1 is going to cost you at least $3000. Turbo is so much more cost effecient. And it is reliable if you spend your time and tune it right.
Old 08-15-2003, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: building a D a waste of time ? (PhatHardy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PhatHardy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, if you are going to build the motor, it is a super waste of time. parts for building a B and D are about the same, so yes it's a waste of time if you are going to build the motor up, just start with a better platform, that's the best way to put it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

A complete b16 swap goes for around $2600+. He can get a complete D-series swap for well under $1k. However since he already has a D, he can just get a block for probably less than $500.

The D-series is a good budget choice and is capable of going further than most people need. I'm not knocking the B-series, but honestly... How many people actually buy a B-series, and REALLY build it?

And lets not forget this one very important thing... When you buy a b-series swap, you are buying a *USED* engine. I can't bring myself to part for $4k for a used b18c1 engine and tranny just to spend another $2-3k rebuilding it...
Old 08-15-2003, 06:27 PM

Default Re: building a D a waste of time ? (kommon_sense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kommon_sense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

And lets not forget this one very important thing... When you buy a b-series swap, you are buying a *USED* engine. I can't bring myself to part for $4k for a used b18c1 engine and tranny just to spend another $2-3k rebuilding it...</TD></TR></TABLE>

i had this very dillema, i did it anyway. its a monster and it isnt even close to being finished... completely steetable, sounds perfect, vtec screams, the tranny is a work of art, i have become a full advocate of the b-series swap. you really will not be disappointed with a b18c5, or c1 but i cant image the tranny is compairable w/ the longer gears and no lsd.
Old 08-15-2003, 06:46 PM

I have been asking myself some of the same questions ever since I got my hatch. B or H series or buy another D series and build it up along with an LSD for the tranny?. I still havent decided. My car is used strictly for driving pleasure, not racing..so I was leaning towards a C5 and keeping it NA. A turbo D16 would be lots of fun, but where I live there arent any tuners or dynos anywhere near me. I would still love to build a strong D just to see what it could do though.

Quick Reply: building a D a waste of time ?