Building a commuter car

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a commuter car

Hello!

I'm new to this forum, I wrote a "get to know me" post here
https://honda-tech.com/forums/introduce-yourself-162/how-i-got-honda-ended-up-here-3188155/

Here is the readers digest version. I work for an engineer, and I went to college and got my degree in automotive technology. I've restored both of my other cars (a 1984 Mercedes 300SD and an 83 Toyota Tercel 4WD) not complete restorations, but everything short sandblasting the paint off needless to say I've been around the block when it comes to cars. But I'm a complete noob when it comes to Hondas. I did replace the engine in my 2000 Civic EX coupe, as I inherited it from my step sister with a blown head gasket.

I joined the forum tonight to get y'all ideas for building a well balanced commuter car. I have other project cars, the Benz is as like new as you can get for a 30 year old daily driver, and the Tercel is still a work in progress. But I can't own a car and not play with it

I've been driving the Civic daily for about a month now and there are a few things I've got in the works and a few ideas I have kicking around that I thought I'd bounce off y'all.

First let me give you an idea of what I want out of the car. I want something that is fun to drive, yet can still go anywhere, while being good on gas. (i'm not talking hype-mileing or anything crazy) Pretty much what you'd expect form a new Civic.

Here is what I've got in the works. I'm installing a clock. I've been spoiled driving the Mercedes for years with a nice analog clock in the dash. While at my friends shop (he is restoring a 72 Scout II) I found a new in the box clock on his work bench. It came with his new gauge kit and he didn't want to install it, opting to use the space for another gauge. He just gave it to me! (I love free things!) I had already seen in picture searches the replacement bezel for around the gauges that gives you 2 2-1/16" holes. I told him I'd need to come up with another gauge, and he tossed me a volt meter. (sweet 2 free things!) So that is my first mod. Completely useless gauges! But seeing as my theme is commuter car, I gotta have a clock! gotta get placed on time, you know!

While I have the gauges out I'm also going to pull the stereo. My step sister had a nice sony unit installed, its got bluetooth, but the guy at sony must have been dropped on his head, as they installed the mic behind the faceplate and no one can hear me through the dang thing with the engine running. I read a dyi about adding a mic jack to the back of the head unit and then running a remote mic. So I'll do that when I install the gauges.

Here is what I have kicking around in my head: I've been hearing some squeaks from the suspension. I don't think my step sister ever had the shocks replaced. One of the best things I did to my Mercedes was overhaul the suspension. On that car I lowered it with H&R springs and installed heavy duity bilsteins for shocks. As I said I'm no Honda expert, so I'm not sure what to do about the suspension in the Civic. If I want to lower it or not, what kind of shocks to buy, sway bars? My dad lives in the mountains, so the suspension mods i did to the Mercedes was to make it more fun to drive up to see my dad. I'd like the Civic to be just as fun going up the mountain roads.

So, what do you all think? What other mods should I think about doing to build a well rounded commuter car?
Old 01-08-2014, 08:53 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Building a commuter car

Koni/Ground control are the Civic version of H&R/Bilstein. An SI sway bar setup wouldn't hurt, either. That, with some good location-appropriate tires, and some good brakes (Brembo blanks with Hawk HPS or EBC Bluestuff) and you should have a nice little throw-around.

If you want it to go a little quicker, a small T25 or T28 turbo on a log manifold with the proper supporting mods and tune will give you better gas mileage, and that extra bit of get up and go when you decide to put your foot down. If it's an automatic, go ahead and forget you read this paragraph though - Honda autos like to **** the bed with any kind of added power going through them.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:53 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I will be honest here, anything that is really fun to drive will not be very easy to drive daily through stop and go traffic. A fun FWD car is better on the highway where traction is not as much of an issue and the suspension isn't rattling your teeth out.

I read your intro, you are already light years beyond some of the newer people that come on here. I am by no means a Honda expert either myself. Most of what I know is about the non-vtec B-series and EF chassis, but there are some extremely knowledge able folks on here, so welcome

Edit - Listen to the guy above me. He knows his stuff.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turbo def will be fun while still getting good mpg. Personally I would look to a b series swap like the gsr. It's a good drop in replacement while keeping Hondas stock reliability and easy maintence, while being a fun car to drive. I have a gsr in my 94 hatch. Before installing a ITR transmission w/ 4.7 FD I could get 32 mpg and I basically doubled the power of the original motor. Turbos are added maintence and money. Don't get me wrong, I am all for boost. I am close to boosting my gsr. Just know what your getting involved in with a FI vehicle.

Hondas are a grown mans Legos. There are so many ways to achieve your goals and therefore many of us with different recommendations. Take your time and read over some builds on the forum and get a better idea of where you want to take it.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The car is an auto I did an auto to manual swap in the Mercedes, I think the swap in the Civic would be cake walk in comparison. But the problem is, I don't have any automatics in my garage other then the Civic. I personaly don't like autos, but its nice to have a car I can let anyone drive. When family comes to town and what not. I'm thinking I'll keep the Civic an auto til the transmission dies. The car has 230k on it, as does the transmission, with only 90k on the engine I expect the transmission to be the first major part to go down the road. Maybe when it goes that will be the time to swap to a B series and manual. Aside form the milage the car is clean. My step sister my not have been a car person, but she liked things to look nice, so the car looks in great shape.