Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

building b16 need timing instructions

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building b16 need timing instructions

im putting together a b16 i am a tool when it comes to timing ignition and cam i need a better understanding of the concept i've been trying to read and understand i just cant comprehend how im supposed to know what degrees of timing i need or even how to get it please help before i kill my new pistons and rods
Old 12-31-2005, 11:49 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: building b16 need timing instructions (hondastreets1)

Both camshaft gears have an arrow on them. When the mechanical timing is set correctly, they will both be pointing up and the markings - lines - on each gear will be pointing exactly toward each other. You'll want the number one cylinder (closest to the timing belt) at TDC (top-dead-center), and you can figure out where that is by aligning the proper mark on the crank pulley with the mark(s) on the timing cover or block.

The trick is getting the timing belt tensioned without letting one of the cams slip .

It's not the easiest thing in the world, and I hope to God you're using lots of assembly lube on the bearing races and cam journals to keep them from getting scored with dust and any other random filth that can collect on metal when it sits in open air.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:59 AM

Default Re: building b16 need timing instructions (Archidictus)

no no i much futher educated than that not just standard adjustments etc im talkin adjustable gears and adjusting ignition timing according to spray or turbo application depending on boost and nos shot
Old 12-31-2005, 01:53 PM
Unceasing Measure

Depending on your compression and fuel, you'll want to retard the timing a certain amount per point of boost or dose of spray. You cannot, however, just halfass these things with your butt dyno and assume they'll work.

Adjusting cam gears is a dyno-specific tuning device, so don't expletive with them unless you have access to a dyno and a wideband. Ignition timing is best controlled with a standalone device, especially if you're doing anything with forced induction as the stock OBD1/2a/2b systems are not as flexible as the later (VTC engine) systems are. With a standalone you can adjust timing per pound of boost as it comes on - progressively - or you can set it at a static amount of advance or retard depending on how your air/fuel readings look.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:03 PM

so your saying dont mess with adjustable gears cus i dont at this time have access to a dyno just go on the ignition side and use what hondata or something if so any suggestions which series this is on 95 coupe by the way and also will msd be a plus or minus or is there a margin deciding when i need it
Old 12-31-2005, 02:07 PM
Unceasing Measure

Hondata S200 plus boost option. MSD is not necessary but it will almost surely give you better gas mileage
Old 12-31-2005, 02:24 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Adjusting cam gears is a dyno-specific tuning device, so don't expletive with them unless you have access to a dyno and a wideband. Ignition timing is best controlled with a standalone device, especially if you're doing anything with forced induction as the stock OBD1/2a/2b systems are not as flexible as the later (VTC engine) systems are. With a standalone you can adjust timing per pound of boost as it comes on - progressively - or you can set it at a static amount of advance or retard depending on how your air/fuel readings look.</TD></TR></TABLE>

He's right, but the best results while tuning are netted around advancing the mechanical timing of the ignintion and exhaust to +2 degrees, then using a wideband for the ignition timing. Make sure you check your cam gears for what each mark means. Some companies only have a hash mark for each 2 degree increment, some have one for each degree, the latter are the better ones for tuning.