Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Build thread - My First Honda - lots of pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build thread - My First Honda - lots of pics

I been a big dsm guy ever since 2003 and have owned alot more then anyone ever should. I then moved on to Evo's. I have also owned 2 mustangs (64 1/2 and 69) , a 78 trans am, s10 mini truck, lancer ralliart and lancer oz rally edition. I honestly have never been a big fan of honda's mainly cause most around me were ricers. But anyway back to the point lol. I owned my evo and 2 dsm's and was in the middle of building my evo and my eclipse at the same time. So i realize how stupid it was to build two high horsepower mitsubishi so i deiceded to sell both my dsm's and then pick up a daily driver. I found a buyer for both of my dsm's and drove the one and trailer the other to his shop. After that i was suppose to head to nj to pick up a subaru impreza 2.5, but that never happen.

In the corner of his garage a car caught my eye. It was a eg hatch painted blue. At the time the girl i was dating was huge into hondas and i started to look into them since i was going to have to work on her car. After 3 hours of negotiations we loaded the hatch up on the trailer and drove back home. We unloaded it and i jumped in and drove it around. It was different from what i was use to with turbo cars but i didnt care cause i just needed it to get around so i could focus of my evo built. Anyway to my luck not even 24hrs later the motor spun a bearing.. I was slightly pissed but said **** it and decieded to just throw another motor in it...

Well after about 3 weeks of work i ended up with a B18a1 with a Precision 6176s Turbo Setup on the car. It was probally my easiest build i ever did. It was like putting lego's together. So after it was finished i took it to Psi Performance and had a base tuned done on the dyno to break in the motor and it put down 230whp on 8lbs of boost with dsm 450 injectors. Eventually i will take it back and turn the boost up but im probally not going to go much over 300whp cause i dont really need it to be that fast since ill have the evo for that once finished...

Well here are some pictures:

Old 07-19-2012, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My First Honda - lots of pics

Very nice hatch I'm really like that color.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice. where did you order that carpet from? if its new that is.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cmiller219
nice. where did you order that carpet from? if its new that is.
its the old carpet, dyed black. much cheaper then buying new and turns out good and doesnt fade. just take alot of prep work in cleaning and getting it prepared to be dyed.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Loving it. Would like to know more about this Carpet Dying as I'd love to do that myself.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Build thread - My First Honda - lots of pics

Its not too hard to dye your carpet. I recommend using Rit Dye which u can pick up from walmart. each bottles does about 3 yards of fabric. I recommend using 6-10 bottles. I used 8 bottles myself.

First thing is to remove it out of the car. Then you want to clean it with carpet cleaner. I also recommend spray it with a pressure washer and you want to keep spraying it till the water is clear and doesnt have any dirt in it.

Once its clean you need a container to fit your carpet in. Which u can use a 30 gallon plastic tote or a big trash can (with no holes in it)

Take your container and put the dye in and add water. Fill it between a 1/4 of the way to 1/2 way. Then you want to fold up the carpet to fit it inside. The carpet will try to float so u want to put something heavy on it to weight it down (make sure the object is on the backside of the carpet). Once the carpet is in and weighed down fill the contianer the rest of the way up.

After that put the lid on and let it sit for a few hours. the longer the better. After a few hours take the carpet out unfold it and let it dry. If you dont let it fully dry the dye can and will come off on ur hands. once fully dry put back into your car. This is how i dye my carpets in all my cars. Or you could just buy dupli-color black spray paint, spray it and then take a brush to the carpet after it dries and brush it to soften it up.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice theme you got there..
Old 07-20-2012, 12:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by OverBoostedEvo
Its not too hard to dye your carpet. I recommend using Rit Dye which u can pick up from walmart. each bottles does about 3 yards of fabric. I recommend using 6-10 bottles. I used 8 bottles myself.

First thing is to remove it out of the car. Then you want to clean it with carpet cleaner. I also recommend spray it with a pressure washer and you want to keep spraying it till the water is clear and doesnt have any dirt in it.

Once its clean you need a container to fit your carpet in. Which u can use a 30 gallon plastic tote or a big trash can (with no holes in it)

Take your container and put the dye in and add water. Fill it between a 1/4 of the way to 1/2 way. Then you want to fold up the carpet to fit it inside. The carpet will try to float so u want to put something heavy on it to weight it down (make sure the object is on the backside of the carpet). Once the carpet is in and weighed down fill the contianer the rest of the way up.

After that put the lid on and let it sit for a few hours. the longer the better. After a few hours take the carpet out unfold it and let it dry. If you dont let it fully dry the dye can and will come off on ur hands. once fully dry put back into your car. This is how i dye my carpets in all my cars. Or you could just buy dupli-color black spray paint, spray it and then take a brush to the carpet after it dries and brush it to soften it up.
That'd make for a fun day, thanks a lot for typing that out!
Old 07-20-2012, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Car looks great. While I only had one DSM, I went from a built 95' TSi AWD to a 636 Ninja and bone stock Civic when I was 17. Been driving Hondas ever since. I do miss my DSM greatly, I don't miss working on it 10-20+ hrs a week. I swear back in the day I could diagnose or fix nearly anything on a 2GA 4g63 car.

You don't know how many times I've thought about selling off one of my cars for another DSM..
Old 07-20-2012, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You make it seem so easy.... I'm saving this, it's a really simple and cool build. Good luck with your Evo! I think going from Imprezas/Evo's to Honda's would be easy... I'm helping my brother work on his turbo Impreza and i'm a Honda guy, not at all is it easy. Share some pics of your Evo!

Originally Posted by OverBoostedEvo
wad of text about dying carpet black

I needed this! I'm gonna dye my project CRV's carpet black now thanks!
Old 07-20-2012, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice hatch brah.Love the exhaust manifold design
Old 07-20-2012, 03:24 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

So is the build done or is there more to come?
Old 07-21-2012, 01:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
So is the build done or is there more to come?
As of right now this is where the car is going to sit for a little bit. I need to get my evo finished by next season. Of course it doesnt help i just picked up a 2g gst spyder lol. But the hatch will get a cf hd, retune, evo recaro seats, new rims, coilovers, and possibly a turbo lsvtec setup lol