Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Broken - Working on car now - Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken - Working on car now - Help

Well im doing my rear wheel disc conversion, on the driver side upper control arm, one of the bolts broke off when i was taking it off...That bolt started to get super hard at the end, i tried tightening it back, but was hard too, so i just said fk it and started to force t out...and it broke..this is the bolt with the new upper control arm from the new rear disc conversion. Here is a pic..

My Question is, how can i take if off? knowing it is super hard to unscrew off. or is there anywhere where they can take care of that for a low price? its my daily driver and i work tomorrow-friday. what if i drive the car how it is right there with one bolt? (the broken bolt is half or almost half way out of the control arms hole/socket, so it still keeps the upper arm from moving up or down..

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Broken - Working on car now - Help (SinsEvil666)

i would try drilling it out - if you don't feel comfortable then drive it very slowly to a meineke and have them pull it out.

before you drill it you should soak it with PB Blaster
Old 04-27-2008, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Broken - Working on car now - Help (EK9Rider)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EK9Rider &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would try drilling it out - if you don't feel comfortable then drive it very slowly to a meineke and have them pull it out.

before you drill it you should soak it with PB Blaster</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2 on the PB blaster especially.

If you can get an "easy out" drill bit, too, that might help. You can get them at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. My ej8 is from upstate NY and all but 1 bolt seized/snapped/stripped when I put my suspension on, so I've been in your shoes. It sucks.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i see there is alot of different pb blaster...which one is the correct one, and also and i able to pick one up at autozone? pepboys or Napa?
Old 04-27-2008, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SinsEvil666)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SinsEvil666 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i see there is alot of different pb blaster...which one is the correct one, and also and i able to pick one up at autozone? pepboys or Napa?</TD></TR></TABLE>

PB Blaster is just a lubricant in a spray can. Doesn't matter which one you get. Just be sure to spray a lot on there, wait a few minutes, spray more, wait a few more minutes again so that the stubborn bolt is soaked.
I know that it's a pain in the *** what you're dealing with. Really.
Try that easy out drill bit, too. That's what I had to do. I broke 3 of them, so grab a couple.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, so im going to go get some easy out drill bit...i need to get one smaller than the actual bolt right. as the easy out bit drills in through the middle of the bolt...after that what do i do? well ill be back, please leave any comments, steps..or anyting to help me out. Thanx.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, get one smaller than the bolt.
Basically you drill into the bolt with it and it's reverse threaded. So, when you get it in there, and then take a wrench to loosen it, it actually drives farther into the broken bolt until it's in there and comes out. It's a pain in the *** though, but it'll work.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (STDClayton)

Any luck?
Old 04-29-2008, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

haha, sry im back so late..but i was able to get it out....Up for PB Blaster but drill bits and easy out bits broke on me....that bolt was 2 tight...i tried welding a nut to it, but still wouldn't, (my welding sucks, was my second time doing it)...so with other nut...i just tighten until it screwed up bolt and came out....bolt had no more thread on there...so luckily the bolt lost its thread and not the hole to put new bolt on. Thanx everyone for the help....it took me quit some time to get it out and it was SUPER frustrating.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome man, glad to hear everything worked out.

I broke two of those easy-out bits and 3 regular drill bits on just one of my broken LCA bolts last fall.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (STDClayton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by STDClayton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Awesome man, glad to hear everything worked out.

I broke two of those easy-out bits and 3 regular drill bits on just one of my broken LCA bolts last fall.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea taking out the broken bolt was frustrating....it sucks...but yea, everything worked out on taking off bolt....but, once i finished putting disc conversion setup....the wheel does not align with the body, wheel looks like its pushed to the front close to touching the body....instead of being in the middle nice and straight..
Old 04-30-2008, 09:05 AM

make sure you used the correct lower control arm for that side then. They are angled in different directions for the driver and passenger side so the wrong one would but stress on the trailing arm, causing it to bepushed forward. Have you done the other side yet? got any pics? good to hear about the bolt coming out. good luck with the rest of it.

also if its not that, check your toe alignment on the very front trailing arm mount location. its that very front 14mm bolt.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lollypopking)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lollypopking &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">make sure you used the correct lower control arm for that side then. They are angled in different directions for the driver and passenger side so the wrong one would but stress on the trailing arm, causing it to bepushed forward. Have you done the other side yet? got any pics? good to hear about the bolt coming out. good luck with the rest of it.

also if its not that, check your toe alignment on the very front trailing arm mount location. its that very front 14mm bolt.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea i finished the other side too...the other side came out flawless...but just this side...its being pushed foward...i did use the lower control arm that i had from drums....im going to have to check see if its the control arm...the 14mm bolt ur talking about is good...its set up just like the other side....the thing is this car had an accident long long long time ago...from that same side that wheel does not align....ill take pics before i start assuming things...ill take pics of both sides all around the setup see if you guys can find something i did wrong or its just related to the accident it had a long time go. Thanx for the help.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome. Look forward to seeing the updated pics and possibly helping.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no pics yet..i cant find my dumb camara...and my cell is a piece of crap. But i took my car to Frame Alignment place. told me chassis has alot of welded pieces added to it most likely from the car crash it had before. he said it has horrible rust...and that he cant fix it..that he recommends getting a new shell since im investing money on it or if i want to get it the wheel to look straight..to take it to a body shop, i will try get pics with anything..just need someone with cell that can transfer pics to pc or a cam. mines i consider it MIA.