Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Broken valve cover bolt = no vtec?

Old 06-28-2018, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken valve cover bolt = no vtec?

I recently got a cheap y8 head that i put on my y7 block in my 97 dx civic, I ran wires to the vtec solenoid and vvt pressure sensor right next to the vtec solenoid. Installed and ran a wire for knock sensor. The car runs great, but i cannot get vtec to engage. I tested the solenoid and it engages, and tried multiple vvt sensors. Knock sensor is brand new. No cel.

The y8 does have a broken valve cover bolt, so i was wondering if that would not let the oil pressure generate that needs to be generated in order for vtec to engage? or would pressure still build in the oil system and that wouldn't matter?

I searched for an answer to this, but only could find stuff on people trying to find ways to fix the broken valve cover bolt, nothing on weather or not it would make vtec not engage. Any info appreciated. and thanks for reading.

(edit) also i have installed the correct ecu p2p

Last edited by Gattlin; 06-28-2018 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Re: Broken valve cover bolt = no vtec?

How do you know that VTEC does not engage? It's not like in the movies where you're going to get pressed to the back of your seat once you hit 4500 rpm. If you can drive up to near the redline and the CEL does not throw a VTEC code, VTEC can be assumed to be working.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

because there is absolutely no crossover at all, i should be able to at least hear the crossover even if it is just slight. maybe you could just let me know if a broken valve cover bolt would affect vtec, like i was wondering, thank you
Old 06-28-2018, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you pull the oil jet out of the block when you installed the head?
Old 06-28-2018, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the y7's oil jet is in the head
Old 06-28-2018, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Gotcha. I haven't fucked with the y7/y8 blocks as much. Have you put a mechanical pressure gauge in to see what oil pressure it's pushing?
Old 06-28-2018, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have not done that, i just know the oil light is not on. That may be my next step. I figured someone would just be able to answer my question real quick ha, thanks for the advice, will try that if i can get a hold of an oil pressure gauge.

Last edited by Gattlin; 06-28-2018 at 07:05 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 793 Likes on 733 Posts

No... a broken valve cover bolt will not stop VTEC from working.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What is the part number of the ECU that you are using ???
Old 06-28-2018, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok thank you. I will check part number in the morning, i know it was off a manual ex, same car as the head was from
Old 06-30-2018, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is the ecu i am running
Old 07-01-2018, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The ECU is correct... so you either have a wiring problem or a mechanical installation problem with the Y8 head.
Old 07-01-2018, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what about oil? i heard that the wrong weight oil can affect it also? pretty sure its not my wiring cause i went over it 3 times and made sure it was right before i soldered it. And what type of mechanical installation problems could i have maybe caused? I tried very hard to do it right and carefully.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Either you didn’t hook vtec up correctly, or you think sohc vtec sounds like dohc vtec. Or you may be a quart low on your oil.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

pretty sure that i hooked up vtec correctly, its only 3 wires, that i more than triple checked. and im pretty sure you can hear the single cam crossover... and my oil level is in between the 2 dots on the dipstick..
I do feel that the reason its not working is oil/oil pressure related tho. other than that, im thinkin maybe i got a bad ecu, could the ecu be bad to were vtec wouldnt work but the car would still run and drive ok?
Old 07-02-2018, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I mean yeah If you were actually throwing a code. And tbh a mini me crossover is way less entertaining than a d16z6. So there you go right there. And shouldn’t you be getting a tune? Go do that, the tuner will tell you if vtec is working or not.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ha im pretty sure that the y8 and z6 are pretty dang close to same in horsepower so idk how much more fun it could be. and i dont think im gonna waste money on a tune for my super slow, pretty much stock engine, lmao. im just trying to get it runnin right myself.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Gattlin
ha im pretty sure that the y8 and z6 are pretty dang close to same in horsepower so idk how much more fun it could be. and i dont think im gonna waste money on a tune for my super slow, pretty much stock engine, lmao. im just trying to get it runnin right myself.
It’s slow because you purchased a vehicle eqiupped with 125 horsepower at the crank in 96-99. And no **** they are going to be close in power, with the completely stock engine, walking your shitty put together, smoking, budget build, everytime. And it will sound better in vtec.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by White_EG1
It’s slow because you purchased a vehicle eqiupped with 125 horsepower at the crank in 96-99. And no **** they are going to be close in power, with the completely stock engine, walking your shitty put together, smoking, budget build, everytime. And it will sound better in vtec.

Did you come on here just to be a dick? lmao. or to get your post count up one of the two. Well im not a spoiled brat, so i cant just go and build a 500 horse power car. seriously you can **** off, i dont need any more of your shitty advice/posts (white_eg1). I didn't go out and just buy my car, i built it.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah you built some **** that don’t even run right, smart guy. Stupid posts, get stupid answers. Broken valve cover bolt= no vtec? What would make you even assume that is beyond me. And with Honda’s it doesn’t take much money at all to make good power, and 500 would be spinning all day... So that statement is invalid as well. Have a nice 4th Gattlin
Old 07-05-2018, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've been totally ignoring this thread because of ^^. Are you experiencing a drop in power after about 4800 rpms or so? If not, vtec is working fine. It isn't very noticeable on a single cam, even with an exhaust or intake, because it only affects the intake valves.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I actually thought it was a pretty good question, i doubt you even knew what a broken valve cover bolt would do to vtec till the other dude said so. And i may be an idiot, but at least im trying to learn instead of just paying other people to work on my ****. and i didnt come here to try to make other people look stupid, i came here to learn and maybe share what little knowledge i do have. And there doesnt have to be a drop in power for vtec not to be working
Old 07-06-2018, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Let me rephrase my last post. I've been ignoring this thread because of white_eg1. Are you experiencing a power drop past approximately 4800 rpm or so? If so, I'd lean towards vtec not actually working. If not, I'd say it's probably functioning properly. The crossover on a single cam engine isn't very strong, and it isn't very noticeable. You will notice, however, if it loses power above roughly 4800 rpm.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah that makes sense. but im not really experiencing power loss. It just revvs exactly like my y/7 setup, like exactly. I just got back from sort of a long road trip today and i was going up hill in 3rd and i felt it kick in (twice), it was noticeable just not super noticeable. but havent gotten it to work again, now im leaning towards an intermittent vtec engagement. I feel like the oil passage in the head that oil passes thru to activate vtec are clogged up partially or something like that. I think my next step is oil change to clean oil with new oil filter.

edit; i was also wondering, are the y7/y8 oil pans the same? ive heard something can be different with them but i think they are the same..?
Old 07-06-2018, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't remember, have you pulled the solenoid off the head and inspected/cleaned it? An intermittent issue could also be a bad connection, so double check your wiring again, just to be certain.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Broken valve cover bolt = no vtec?