Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Broken Rocker Arm Assembly?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 Broken Rocker Arm Assembly?

I have a95 Civic ex coupe with a d16z6 1.6L 4 cylinder engine. I was replacing the valve cover gasket and while tightening it back down this broke off (see pictures below).
A family friend told me it was the rocker arm assembly but I cant find one online for this engine. Im not sure if that was the correct term or if there just aren't any online.
I attached some pictures to show what broke off. Can someone help me figure out the name of this or any other alternatives to fixing it besides replacing the whole rocker arm assembly?

Old 01-11-2019, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 328 Likes on 308 Posts
Default Re: Broken Rocker Arm Assembly?

The specific part is called the "number 5 cam holder".

Old 01-11-2019, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

You cannot buy just that piece by itself from Honda... you have to buy a complete cylinder head. Cam caps/holders are essentially "unique" to each cylinder head and thus cannot simply be removed from one head and installed on another. You would have to take the head to a machine shop and line hone the replacement cam cap/holder on your cylinder head.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
You cannot buy just that piece by itself from Honda... you have to buy a complete cylinder head. Cam caps/holders are essentially "unique" to each cylinder head and thus cannot simply be removed from one head and installed on another. You would have to take the head to a machine shop and line hone the replacement cam cap/holder on your cylinder head.
So I can just buy the cylinder head off ebay or from a junk yard and do it myself?
Old 01-12-2019, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 615 Likes on 487 Posts

You can get one off of a junk head to replace your broken one, BUT your head must come off the car and go to the machine shop to have the replacement part properly fitted. The machinist will take a small amount off of the bottom of the cam cap and then line bore the whole assembly again. The downside: it may be cheaper just to get a replacement head. Might as well take THAT head to the machine shop and have it at least inspected and maybe rebuilt before you install it.

Lesson learned... go buy a decent 1/4” drive torque wrench today (Home Depot/Husky has a good one with a good warranty for a good price). These engines are bristling with 6mm fasteners that are very easy to overtorque by hand. It doesn’t take much.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by spAdam
You can get one off of a junk head to replace your broken one, BUT your head must come off the car and go to the machine shop to have the replacement part properly fitted. The machinist will take a small amount off of the bottom of the cam cap and then line bore the whole assembly again. The downside: it may be cheaper just to get a replacement head. Might as well take THAT head to the machine shop and have it at least inspected and maybe rebuilt before you install it.

Lesson learned... go buy a decent 1/4” drive torque wrench today (Home Depot/Husky has a good one with a good warranty for a good price). These engines are bristling with 6mm fasteners that are very easy to overtorque by hand. It doesn’t take much.
Yeah my gf was easily turning it and it just popped. I recently bought this car i havent even driven it yet, i replaced all parts that needed replacing i was one day away from driving it and this happened. I had a family friend who is a machanic look at it and he said it also looked like the previous owner used the wrong size bolts and it was digging in overtime, and thats why it snapped off so easily