Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Broken Ring Lands B16a Block Rebuild Or No?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Ring Lands B16a Block Rebuild Or No?

Offered a b16a block with broken ring lands, should I rebuild this block or is it pretty much junk now? I know it's probably going to need an overbore, but he told me when they look off the oil pan there were pieces of metal and I would assume that they are peices of the broken piston rings. Would this block still be good for a rebuild? Or would everything be junk like crank etc.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Broken Ring Lands B16a Block Rebuild Or No? (D16SohcVtec)

Totally depends on the damage and what you want to do with it. You could always resleeve and go from there or bore and go from there.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Broken Ring Lands B16a Block Rebuild Or No? (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Totally depends on the damage and what you want to do with it. You could always resleeve and go from there or bore and go from there. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I was thinking about just giving it a bore and then rebuild it for boost. But I'm just not sure if the crank and all that other important stuff is still in good shape. Apparently it was driving for a while just smoked a lot. My buddy is giving it to me to free and said if I want it I can take it, but just really unsure since it had metal peices in the oil pan.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Broken Ring Lands B16a Block Rebuild Or No? (D16SohcVtec)

Only one way to find out. Get the block and tear it down. Go from there.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Broken Ring Lands B16a Block Rebuild Or No? (coneheadsracing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by coneheadsracing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Only one way to find out. Get the block and tear it down. Go from there.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll probably just go ahead and do that, thanks for the input.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my friends ringlands blew on his boosted b16 honestly to me depending on your plans for this thing its a a waste to spend the money and time rebuilding, the only exception in my eyes would be to build for turbo. other wise just get something else.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (denniscoles)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by denniscoles &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my friends ringlands blew on his boosted b16 honestly to me depending on your plans for this thing its a a waste to spend the money and time rebuilding, the only exception in my eyes would be to build for turbo. other wise just get something else.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what I was planning on doing. I was planning on building this block for turbo, but just not sure if the metal damaged the crank and all that good stuff. It's going to be fully rebuilt with forged rods and pictons. Just a bit concern about the crank and any other important part of the motor.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:11 AM

Default Re: (D16SohcVtec)

if you are rebuilding iit for turbo and expecting to OB the block then just take it.
you'll obviously be using new pistons, rods, rings, and bearings anyway. and IF the crank is in bad shape just bum it off someone for cheap.

that's exactly what i'm doing now with a b18b
Old 02-28-2008, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slacks)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slacks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you are rebuilding iit for turbo and expecting to OB the block then just take it.
you'll obviously be using new pistons, rods, rings, and bearings anyway. and IF the crank is in bad shape just bum it off someone for cheap.

that's exactly what i'm doing now with a b18b</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the imput guys, I went ahead and got the block. Once I get everything pulled apart I'll start measuring and checking things out.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:35 PM

Default Re: (D16SohcVtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D16SohcVtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thanks for the imput guys, I went ahead and got the block. Once I get everything pulled apart I'll start measuring and checking things out.</TD></TR></TABLE>
that's the **** right there

good luck with your build
Old 03-03-2008, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slacks)

Just got pix of the block today, I'll try and put them up later. Anyway a part of the piston is chipped off. Not the top of the piston, but the part that contacts with the sleeves. I'm thinking it might have been caused by detonation. My cousin told me when he bought the car it was running on a FMU so I would assume something to do with that. I wonder if the sleeves will still be fine?