Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

broken hood latch...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broken hood latch...

I was wondering can super glue the hood latch back or replace it?
Old 01-22-2008, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

replace it...
Old 01-22-2008, 12:26 PM

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

how do i replace it? Where do I get the part at?
Old 01-22-2008, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: broken hood latch... (HondaTeKnology)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">replace it...</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 01-22-2008, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You get the latch at the dealership or online dealer like http://www.slhonda.com

You look at it and take it off...use some common sense
Just unbolt it and replace it with a new one. Not hard if you use your eyes and think more than a slug.

The important question, that I feel that I should now ask is this:
You say "latch" and "superglue". Do you mean hood release cable handle?
The latch is the ...latch...that secures the hood, and I cant see anywhere that "superglue" would even come into play. Duct tape, maybe.

A monkey that understood righty-tighty, lefty-loosy could do 90% of the work on a 88-00 civic... The other 10% is probably engine work, and requires a monkey that knows how to use a feeler gauge.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You get the latch at the dealership or online dealer like http://www.slhonda.com

You look at it and take it off...use some common sense
Just unbolt it and replace it with a new one. Not hard if you use your eyes and think more than a slug</TD></TR></TABLE>

Easy now, not everybody has worked on a car before. There are plenty of people out there who haven't the slightest idea how to do the simplest thing, and it isn't because they can't "use their eyes and think more than a slug."

Old 01-22-2008, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just dont get why people dont TRY things...
Old 01-22-2008, 03:31 PM
memoryFAB.com representative

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaTeKnology &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was wondering can super glue the hood latch back or replace it? </TD></TR></TABLE>

effin superglue!!??!! HAHAHA.. this guy!
Old 01-22-2008, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if its there daily driver and they TRY to repair something and it doesnt go correctly. Then theyre even more screwed than just having someone fix it at a shop.

I had my car for over a year before i even started fooling around with things.

But a hood latch is something that wont keep the car from running. I know replacing the cable/release handle is a bitch. done that Once.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just dont get why people dont TRY things...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Probably because they are at least wise enough to try and get some idea of what is involved before they just "try it" and end up breaking something or doing it wrong and being worse off than when they started.

For repairs and building, you should never just "try" something. Homework, research, and asking for people's advice can sometimes save you some serious trouble. It's never wrong to ask for help.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:37 PM

yeah, if you are talking about replacing the cable because the hood no longer closes or opens using the cable handle, then i would replace it (which i have also done and it is not difficult, i would just call it tedious). get a good honda service manual and the parts from a dealership (or ebay if they are cheaper) and follow the instructions, you will get it. i would DEFINATELY NOT recommend using superglue on your hood as it may cause it to fly open on the freeway. good luck
Old 01-23-2008, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ifIexplode)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ifIexplode &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if its there daily driver and they TRY to repair something and it doesnt go correctly. Then theyre even more screwed than just having someone fix it at a shop.

I had my car for over a year before i even started fooling around with things.

But a hood latch is something that wont keep the car from running. I know replacing the cable/release handle is a bitch. done that Once. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah its good you waited that year because had you intially started "fooling" with things your car would have spontaneously combusted.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I guess I am just a lot more confident in myself when it comes to these types of things.
Especially with something like this, what is the worst that can happen? The latch is already broken.
Look at things, see how its set up and then go at it...put it all back the way it was and youre done. If it looks complicated take "before" pictures to use as reference.

Like I said, none of the work on a civic is difficult. All of it is extremely simplistic, if you just take the time to look at it.
(To me, electrical is a whole other ball game...)

Honestly, its the type of person that I am. I should apologize, because not everyone is that way...and its impossible for me to really grasp that not everyone sees it the same way.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:41 PM

junk yard would probably be your best bet
Old 01-23-2008, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (electron_si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by electron_si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah its good you waited that year because had you intially started "fooling" with things your car would have spontaneously combusted. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ohhhhh. I apologize for reading about my car.
Talking to people. Asking questions before i just started taking things apart. My bad.

You are so entirely correct. Again, I aplogize.
Maybe Fooling around wasnt the correct phrase.