Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Broken heater...only works on setting 4

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOUD HEATER = NO *****

What up guys. here is the deal ( I have searched. others have problems with cold air ).... My heater doesnt work on settings 1 or 2. yet on 3 and 4 it makes a ******* LOUD *** nosie!! See I could care less. I just wont use the thing. BUT! When going on a date.... mos def not too cool... "your cold?... okay... mmmm, just to warn you...." You see the problem?!! if you have any help for me let me know!! Also the sound comes from under the glove box. -thanks kenneth.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:33 AM

Bump because my girl's civic has the same problem.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LOUD HEATER = NO ***** (Skapeoner)

Move to Florida, I've lived here all my life and can count the number of times ive needed the heater on one hand, latina chics are hotter anyway! =D

No, seriously though, if your saying that when you put your fan setting on 1 or 2 no noise, and then you got noise on 3 or 4, then its something with the fan motor, your heater has no moving parts, its basically a radiator inside your car, the system blows air over it, which is heated by the water flowing into it from your engine.

Does it make noise when you put the AC on and move it to 3 or 4, I am assuming you dont live a place you use your AC often.. Check that, if it doesnt, then MAYBE the piece that re-routes the air to the heater isnt setting properly and its causing the fan to bump it..

Old 03-27-2006, 10:03 AM

Sounds like your blower is shot. I'm no expert. The blower is that black platstic thing underneath/behind the glove box. Go to Autozone or wherever you get your car stuff and ask em how much for a new one. I remeber reading about the blower in my Haynes. It didn't seem to difficult to replace.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

a screaching/screaming type of noise?
it is probably crap that has fallen into the fan. You'd be surprised how much random crap was in mine when it started making noise.

It could also be a dry bearings in the fan motor itself.

My suggestion, pull the blower motor (three screws under your glove box) and clean anything out of it.
If that doesn't fix it, replace the heater motor. Used ~$25.
If setting 1-2 still doesn't work then replace the blower resistor as well.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LOUD HEATER = NO ***** (Jack8788)

It's the blower that is making the noise.

they will run you about $100. They arn't "hard" to replace. They are a pain in the **** though as it requires the full removal of the dash to get to it.

good luck

edit: it depends on the year of your car, I know mine was behind the dash bar making it very hard to reach. 92-95 may be easier.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It is, I replaced mine on my 1992 Si and it was pretty easy.

Suddenly you have no more WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:03 PM

What about if the heater makes no strong noise on 3 and 4, but still doesn't work on setting 1 and 2...still the blower?
Old 03-27-2006, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tuesdaynightfever)

most likely
Old 03-27-2006, 08:12 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Defile)

blower motor resistor.

Loud noise though could be something stuck in the cage, or bushings on the motor are worn. But it doesn't work in setting 1 and 2 because of the blower motor resistor.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tuesdaynightfever &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What about if the heater makes no strong noise on 3 and 4, but still doesn't work on setting 1 and 2...still the blower?</TD></TR></TABLE>
no. its the blower resistor.

EDIT: refresh owns me
Old 03-27-2006, 09:06 PM

Default Re: (94hatchling)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94hatchling &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no. its the blower resistor.

EDIT: refresh owns me</TD></TR></TABLE>
happen to me went to a junk yard and got a resistor and work like normal
Old 03-28-2006, 06:01 AM

Default Re: LOUD HEATER = NO ***** (Vero)

Its the blower motor. I just bought a new several months ago for $120.

Easy to replace.....3 screws hold it on. Only problem is its a pain in the *** to get to it. Its right under the glove box, near the ECU. You haev to get into an awkward position....watch your back..haha.

But other then that......very easy to replace yourself.

Sidenote: Mine was quiet on settings 3 and 4....but on the slower settings it was loud as hell.

DAN
Old 03-28-2006, 08:19 AM
tpr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is definitely the resistor block. It is mounted on the blower housing with two philips screws. The reason the blower works in high only is that position is a direct path to ground. Where positions 1, 2, and 3 go through the resistor block and then to ground. Position number 1 has the most resistance, number 2 slightly less, number and number 3 is the least other than position #4. Its cheap and easy to replace.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LOUD HEATER = NO ***** (tpr)

I hate to say this, but.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

The loud-*** noise is coming from the blower motor due to cavitation of the blower fan itself, which if left in it's present state will get louder and LOUDER AND LOUDER, till ultimatly the bearings completly give out and it starts shitting pieces of itself into your air ducts. Here's what you do:

1. Suck it up and go get another blower motor assembly.
2. Pull your glove compatment out.
3. Replace your old blower with the new one.
4. Replace glove box.
5. Enjoy your newfound dating success.
6. Name him/her after me.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tpr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It is definitely the resistor block. It is mounted on the blower housing with two philips screws. The reason the blower works in high only is that position is a direct path to ground. Where positions 1, 2, and 3 go through the resistor block and then to ground. Position number 1 has the most resistance, number 2 slightly less, number and number 3 is the least other than position #4. Its cheap and easy to replace.</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ejonemydm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
happen to me went to a junk yard and got a resistor and work like normal</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 03-28-2006, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LOUD HEATER = NO ***** (scuzz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by scuzz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I hate to say this, but.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

myself, and others towards the end of this post were in response to Tuesdaynightfever. at least i was.

to the OP, goodluck, and have fun
Old 03-28-2006, 10:43 AM

Thanks for the responses guys
Old 03-28-2006, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LOUD HEATER = NO ***** (scuzz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by scuzz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I hate to say this, but.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

The loud-*** noise is coming from the blower motor due to cavitation of the blower fan itself, which if left in it's present state will get louder and LOUDER AND LOUDER, till ultimatly the bearings completly give out and it starts shitting pieces of itself into your air ducts. Here's what you do:

1. Suck it up and go get another blower motor assembly.
2. Pull your glove compatment out.
3. Replace your old blower with the new one.
4. Replace glove box.
5. Enjoy your newfound dating success.
6. Name him/her after me.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not to put you down too much as I do agree with at least part of the problem being the blower motor (as several others have said) but... Unless he's running the car underwater the chances of the blower motor causing cavitation are quite low (or he's managed to get the hamster wheel fan blade spinning at supersonic speed and the noise he's hearing is something like an older design helicopter rotor breaking the sound barrier/tip vortices... still not cavitation though...). If you're gonna be an *** you must be right about everything you're saying... here's some lite reading on cavitation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavitation

Now that that's settled I'd do what Relic1 said but with a minor change... (I'd say you're gonna end up replacing both parts)
My suggestion, pull the blower motor (three screws under your glove box) and clean anything out of it.
If that doesn't fix it, replace the heater motor. Used ~$25.
Go get laid....
If setting 1-2 still doesn't work then replace the blower resistor as well.

Modified by miahmouse at 3:06 PM 3/28/2006
Old 03-28-2006, 01:32 PM

Thanks for the help I am going to take a stab at the blower. Oh and as Florida goes I might be moving to jacksonville next month for work!.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:34 PM

Oh and the sound is a WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!
Old 03-28-2006, 01:42 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Skapeoner)

I'm pretty sure replacing just the blower motor is going to fix the problem. The blower motor possibly bad due to noise = prolly true. But blower motor resistor is done = true.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:00 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (ABK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ABK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">blower motor resistor.

Loud noise though could be something stuck in the cage, or bushings on the motor are worn. But it doesn't work in setting 1 and 2 because of the blower motor resistor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yuppers. usually when they go south, they only work on speed 4.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tuesdaynightfever &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What about if the heater makes no strong noise on 3 and 4, but still doesn't work on setting 1 and 2...still the blower?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It sounds like there is a problem in either the switch or the blower circuit. I would take out the switch and either replace it or test it. If it works on 3 and 4 then it is not the actual blower motor.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SL!M)

welcome to the rest of us that dont have heaters...and i dont plan on fixing mine also..ahahah

ahah but yeah i also have a ek so yeah
Old 03-28-2006, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nvm, this is just a flame fest

Quick Reply: Broken heater...only works on setting 4