Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Broken Camshaft pulley bolt

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Camshaft pulley bolt

I was finally beginning to put my head back on and getting my car back together after a head gasket replacement. I was tightening the bolt with a torque wrench and i never felt it click so I broke it off.

Im pretty sure i have to take the camshaft out right? And bring it to some shop to drill it out?

In order to get the timing belt off, i have to take off the crankshaft pulley. How do i get this off without it spinning?
Old 06-10-2003, 05:32 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Broken Camshaft pulley bolt (MLogan)

you don't need to mess with the crank pulley at all.

Here's what you do...

remove the valve cover and timing belt covers. If you can, line up the engine at TDC. Loosen the belt tensioner and slide the belt off. Now you can pull the cam and get what you need done, done.

Then, when you get back to it....line the cams at TDC, slip over the timing belt, rotate th engine 3 teteth, and tighten the tensioner.

Took me 30 minutes the other day to change timing belts in a buddy's B16 and do the water pump. I didn't even need to jack up the car. But I used a impact gun to remove the crank pulley, which you won't need to mess with.

It's much easier this way
Old 06-10-2003, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Broken Camshaft pulley bolt (Emerika)

I was hoping you would reply Emerika, you really know what you are talkign about.

I just cant seem to reach all of the timing belt cover bolts with the pulley on. I will try again.

What did you mean by this rotate the engine 3 teeth ?
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Emerika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Then, when you get back to it....line the cams at TDC, slip over the timing belt, rotate th engine 3 teteth, and tighten the tensioner.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

So i should just bring the cam to some machine shop and they will get it out?
Old 06-10-2003, 05:49 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Broken Camshaft pulley bolt (MLogan)

ok...you only need to take off the upper timing belt cover.

There will be a little rubber plug in the mid section, which you can remove to access the tensioner bolt. Or, you'll need to remove the crank pulley to see it..which isn't needed.

Once you get the timing belt on, you need proper tension on the belt.

You can do so by actually moving the tensioner, or the easier way byt getting the belt lined up, have the tensioner bolt loose enough so the tensioner can swing, and then rotate the engine VIA the crank pulley counter clockwise so that the timing belt rotates about 3 teeth of the cam gear. Just compare the cam gear to the head and you'll see when it's rotated 3 teeth. Then, torque down the tensioner to 33 ft lbs, and rotate the engine another 2 rotations to make sure everything is lined up correctly. Feel the belt and make sure proper tension is present.

Make sure you're car is in neutral also or the engine won't rotate.

Feel free to IM me....if you need help, I think I'm going to replace the water pump on my room mate's ITR this week...so I could take some pics.

edit- sorry, you can have a machine shop remove the bolt. Shouldn't be more than a few bucks. Just make sure you get another one from Honda

What engine is this BTW??? It's a B series right?
Old 06-10-2003, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Broken Camshaft pulley bolt (Emerika)

No this is just a lowly d15b7. I just want it to work so i can have my hatch to play with. I think i understand what you are talking about with the 3 teeth now, just gotta read it over a few more times.

Thanks again.