Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Broken brakelights - not a brake light switch problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken brakelights - not a brake light switch problem

My brakelights stopped working. The bulbs are in one piece. I found out however, that there was water in my right taillight. I emptied it and cleaned the piece in which the bulb goes (is it called fitting, just like in dutch?). Both taillights work, but my brakelights still don't I checked if the switch was the only prolem; even if it was a problem it isnt the only one cause when I jump the wires on it, my brake lights still won't work. I've measured my taillights and this is what i got when measured on the "fitting" :

Taillights, for reference
On, left side: infinite resistance/12 volt
On, right side: infinite resistance/12 volt

Off, left side: 5 ohm/0 volt
Off, right side: 3,2 ohm/0 volt

Brakelights, I put a wire in the connector that connects to the brake light switch to simulate the on condition

On, left side, first measurement: infinite resistance/0v. 2nd measurement: 7 ohm/0v
On, right side, first measurement: 3,2 ohm/0v. 2nd measurement: 1,5 ohm/0v
There was something wrong I discovered so I decided to do a second measurement, with the wire re-connected, this time with a thicker copper surface in the connector. That gave, as you can see, different results.

Off left side: 18k ohm/0v
Off right side: 18k ohm/0v

I find it strange that when the taillights are on there's infinite resistance, but with the brake lights "on" there is almost no resistance. Can I conclude there is no short circuit since there are differences in resistance in the brake light electrical circuit when I connect the wire?

I also found this on Google, can someone tell me where I can find this particular relay in my EG? I looked under the dash near the glovecompartment that I removed, but I couldn't recognize anything like a relay, but I don't think I'm familiar with all of them

Someone please help, I don't want to drive without brakelights