Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Bringing life back to an abused 92 CDM VX

Old 07-08-2019, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Bringing life back to an abused 92 CDM VX

Yeah that ^^^^^^^^^^ !!! I hate it for you my friend. Hopefully you can get her repaired and then back up and running soon.
The following users liked this post:
Old 07-10-2019, 07:38 PM
Intelligently Stupid

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Does anyone know if there is anything different with the D15Z1 crank?

I'm wondering if any of the other 5th gen cranks have the same specifications. The only one I learned of was the D16Z6 crank has larger journals over the B7, B8 and B2 cranks. I'm wondering if either the Z6 or the B7/8/2 cranks are the same as the Z1.

Upon initial research it looks like the crank is the same non JDM D15 series crank. So look like I can rob one of my B7 blocks crank if any of the journals got trashed on my Z1.

The only Z1 I could find was Nippon motors claiming it's a JDM D15Z1 for 550 USD. My compression is good so I don't think it needs a full rebuild just bearings most likely. Also think maybe new oil pump might be an idea as I'm not sure how the hell they burned up the bearings yet not the cylinder walls unless it was a low oil thing or dirty oil or something of the like.

Last edited by TomCat39; 07-10-2019 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:28 PM
Intelligently Stupid

I haven't transferred insurance yet and am still driving the car for this week. Probably going to switch this weekend and put her back in the garage. Sad being I broke 45 MPG (19.28 KM/liter) on my first tank of gas.

I've noticed, sometimes the engine clears up and it sounds almost perfectly normal as a Honda engine should and then kicks back out and sounds like it's rattling/knocking (like a diesel).

I got home today and I had revved the motor up to about 5K a time or two on my way home and when I pulled into my driveway, motor sounded normal no knock.

I would think a wrist pin problem would be a constant. I would also think a piston slap issue from out of round would also be a constant.
So this leave bearing knock. If a bearing has spun, can it spin back into place then out of place thus provide the behavior of running right for a bit then running not right for a bit?

Also would a clogged EGR valve cause the engine to sound bad? I have ordered an EGR gasket so I can pull it off and clean her out but not sure if that would affect how the motor sounds or just how the motor runs.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:19 AM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How is the timing? Any loose belts?
Old 07-12-2019, 04:25 PM
Intelligently Stupid

There is only 2 belts, the timing belt which is brand new and whined a little when first installed (as they usually do) after tensioning properly, new water pump, new tensioner. And I just replaced the only other belt, the alternator belt with a better condition used one I pulled from the yard. I have about 1/2 deflection on the belt after install. Any tighter and I think it will stress the alternator pulley bearings. No squeaky belts. The metal chirpy sound did it on the cracking belt as well as the replacement belt. I am beginning to wonder if it's wheal bearing as it seems speed orientated not RPM related. But when I stick in the clutch, it goes away at 50-60KPH..... The ISB is new on this DX tranny but maybe the pilot bearing is not so good already, felt smooth and solid when I put it in.

I suppose a wrist pin problem could go from pounding to smooth back to pounding. It pounds more than it runs smooth under load but once in a while you get a short spree it runs smooth. I'm not familiar enough with badly worn motors to know how various problems act.

I think I'm going to prep the D16Z6 motor and slap it in and see if it runs (it's to go into my wife's in the long run). Then I can tear into the Z1. This weekend I should be switching insurance over, just had to wait until I got paid today to have the fee for the switch.

One thing I can say, I haven't seen any oil leaks so it looks like all the seals I replaced worked. I also just looked up and found felpro makes a CS kit that has all the seals for the block that I can get for 50 bucks, rear main, front main, oil pan, oil pick up tube etc. The head gasket kit on the other hand is 200 bucks. So complete all seals in the engine for 250 at the end of the day, valve seals included.

Honda charged me 23 bucks for the valve cover gasket alone.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:35 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You've put a timing light on it? 'Cause bad timing can make it sound like a Diesel... Just trying to eliminate all the easiest options before jumping to expensive solutions.
The following users liked this post:
Old 07-12-2019, 07:44 PM
Intelligently Stupid

Yeah I timed it, but it won't hurt to double check it, if I'm off, it'll only be 2 degrees. I might have hit one of the outside lines instead of the middle red line. I think I might put some white paint on the middle line so it stands out, or maybe do the two outsides white and leave the middle red.

Amazon hasn't shipped my EGR gasket. Guess they are out of stock so I'm twiddling my thumbs.

Also, you can hear a metal spoon rapping on the block sound but not loud/hard yet. The stethoscope put the sound loudest at the bottom of #3 on the side of the block (exhaust side). Not heard in the head and quieter (faintly heard) at the top of the block and only faintly heard at either end of the bottom of the block.

Another little thing that caused me to pause is the oil idiot light took a touch longer than expected to shut off with the 5w30 oil I put in but acts normal after I added the bottle of lucas honey to the oil. I'm wondering if previous owners neglected oil changes as well as continually lugged the motor trying to always be in lean burn. This is all I could think of that would burn up bearings while leaving the rings in decent condition.

I have a hard time thinking someone went to the trouble to re-ring only.

Edit:Confirmed, ignition timing is dead on. highlighted the 3 marks, outsides with silver sharpie and middle with bronze sharpie. Drove around a bit, got home and threw the timing light on her with the service connector shorted. Aim sights matched middle mark perfectly at idle.

Last edited by TomCat39; 07-13-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:30 PM
Intelligently Stupid

So I switched insurance back over to my '07 Si and have parked the green machine in the garage.

I started tearing into the Z6 motor on the stand to put into my car for the duration to rebuild the Z1. Pulled the pan, oil pump and rear main housing. Cracked the girdle to inspect the bearings. Crank/Main bearings #3, #4 and #5 show a touch of copper on start up wear with #4 being the heaviest.

I called up my local Honda dealer and learned even with the 10% discount the parts guy gives me, to do all 5 mains will run me 277 Canadian after taxes and many of the bearings are back ordered until September. I told him thank you and checked Honda parts now and the total with the 58 CAD shipping charge is 238 CAD but I know there will be at least 12% tax if not also brokerage/duty fees. Just our normal 12% tax brings that to 266 CAD.

Needless to say since #3 and #5 just show a hint of copper beginning to show and #4 is just a small spot.... I'm going to just put her back together with new seals and save the pain of parts for the Z1 for now. No wonder people go ACL or King bearings and hope it's close enough...

The world is really pushing for disposability instead of fixing, what a waste. :-[