Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

brembo rotors: quick question

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brembo rotors: quick question

I just purchased a set of Brembo cross drilled rotors. I wanted to know if anyone was currently using these or had experience with them. How did they work for you?
Just a heads up, don't leave stupid responses like "they'll crack", if they're going to crack let me know why. Thanks in advance guys.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: brembo rotors: quick question (Bcuz)

two years on the brembo cross drill and no issues or cracks. They are overkill on civics though, more on the bling side if you don't plan to road race or autocross. Just get a good set of semi-metallic pads. They stock pads will be eaten up by the cross drilled.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:26 AM

Default Re: brembo rotors: quick question (Lord Helmet)

Thanks man, that's what I needed to hear.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:27 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have Brembo blanks on all four corners and they serve their purpose very well. No warping after track days and HPDEs or anything like that, but mine aren't cross drilled.

Why did you get cross-drilled rotors? Solid rotors = more sweep area for the pad and more resistance to warping. Unless you do some serious road racing or autocross with some seriously expensive pads, I'm pretty sure the cross-drilled rotors aren't doing much more than looking pretty. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but I'm still curious as to why you didn't just buy blanks.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:30 AM

Default Re: brembo rotors: quick question (Archidictus)

A friend of mine works at an aftermarket parts store and had them sitting just collecting dust. At 85.00 for both rotors I couldn't say no.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bcuz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A friend of mine works at an aftermarket parts store and had them sitting just collecting dust. At 85.00 for both rotors I couldn't say no.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Can't argue with that
Old 05-03-2005, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thats funny because on my mothers accord the factory rotors were warped and need to be resurfaced, however i just decided to pick up brembo blanks and after 15 thosand miles they are warped again..... why? i had the rotors and brake pads replaced but they still got warped...

now i know my moms not up to autocross, and not down to street race so whats going on with our rotors?

i cant stand the shaking when we're just trying to stop at a light
Old 05-03-2005, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: brembo rotors: quick question (oversteerINGS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oversteerINGS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thats funny because on my mothers accord the factory rotors were warped and need to be resurfaced, however i just decided to pick up brembo blanks and after 15 thosand miles they are warped again..... why? i had the rotors and brake pads replaced but they still got warped...

now i know my moms not up to autocross, and not down to street race so whats going on with our rotors?

i cant stand the shaking when we're just trying to stop at a light </TD></TR></TABLE>

What brake pads? Brake pads are the cause of most rotor warpage as the pad will leave uneven depoisits on the rotor, so I would try some better brake pads, something in the semi-metallic type of pads.

If you are just driving on the street, cross-drilled rotors are fine, none of the road racers I know use cross-drilled on track due to issue with cracking at the temps these rotors will attain on track. So Lord Helmet has it backwards. I can get blank bembos for 20$ each and they were great they lated 8 track weekends and several autcorss before they were shot. This time I ran autozone rotors at 11$ each and they have been great through sevral track events.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm running stock honda breakpads, i got them at the stealership, anymore help solracer? thanks for the responce btw
Old 05-03-2005, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: brembo rotors: quick question (oversteerINGS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oversteerINGS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm running stock honda breakpads, i got them at the stealership, anymore help solracer? thanks for the responce btw </TD></TR></TABLE>

I would look into a semi-metallic pad from the local auto-parts store, for daily drivin I use either carborech bobcats or autozone nascar select cerimac with out any issues.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it makes a world of difference what pads you use i have slotted brembos with brembo pads on stock dx calis and i love them i have them for almost 2 years (rotors on hard driving) no issues what so ever cross drilled do tend to crack depending on the pads you use and the stress you give them use soft pads you'll be fine (brembo, ebc green, etc) hope it helps
Old 05-03-2005, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: brembo rotors: quick question (gabspeed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gabspeed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it makes a world of difference what pads you use i have slotted brembos with brembo pads on stock dx calis and i love them i have them for almost 2 years (rotors on hard driving) no issues what so ever cross drilled do tend to crack depending on the pads you use and the stress you give them use soft pads you'll be fine (brembo, ebc green, etc) hope it helps </TD></TR></TABLE>

The cracks have nothing to do with the type of pad you use, it has everything to with the temps that the rotors reach, but as I said before for street driving you should never reach temps that will cause cracking along the holes.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: brembo rotors: quick question (Solracer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Solracer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The cracks have nothing to do with the type of pad you use, it has everything to with the temps that the rotors reach, but as I said before for street driving you should never reach temps that will cause cracking along the holes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

notice what i said that it all depends on the stress you give them (or temperture) and pads do make a differece in the life of the rotors personal experince put some cheap *** discount pads on and just watch what happens to your rotors harder metalic pads work at much higher "tempertures" in order to get them to stop, therefore abusing the rotors much more, cracking them (personal experince and only used them on the street never took it to the track same goes if you use blank rotors will last much less time will fade like crazy, thats the reason why they came up with the bright idea of cross drilling and slotting them to keep them "cooler"

Modified by gabspeed at 12:53 PM 5/4/2005
Old 05-04-2005, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: brembo rotors: quick question (gabspeed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gabspeed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
notice what i said that it all depends on the stress you give them (or temperture) and pads do make a differece in the life of the rotors personal experince put some cheap *** discount pads on and just watch what happens to your rotors harder metalic pads work at much higher "tempertures" in order to get them to stop, therefore abusing the rotors much more, same goes if you use blank rotors will last much less time will fade like crazy, thats the reason why they came up with the bright idea of cross drilling and slotting them keep them "cooler" </TD></TR></TABLE>

All different makes of pads can have different operating temps, the higher operating temps the hotter your whole brake system will get, fluid rotors and pads. Even blank rotors can take It. I have run blank rotors for 3 years on track and never had faded them, most fading is due to the brake fluid getting hotter and the water content that is in the fluid makes the fluid become more compressible and you have to push your pedal father to get them to work. After every track even I put new fluid in my car because of this. Cross-drilling was never done for cooling, in the 40's and 50' organic brake pads out gassed every time the got hot, so they drilled their rotors to let the gas escape. The funny this is because of the material removed cross-drilled rotors will reach higher temps that non cross drilled, and the holes in the rotor do cool over very fast,guess what happens when you heat something up quickly and cool it very quickly over and over again it becomes brittle and CRACK! Slotting is also not done for cooling it is to help keep the pads clean so they do not glaze, all though this is not much of problem any more either. If you are fading your brakes on the street, you are either driving too stupid on public roads, or your brake fluid is toast.

http://www.teamscr.com/rotors.html - Source
Old 05-19-2005, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: brembo rotors: quick question (Solracer)

Hi, I have O'Reily's top of the line brake pads, "Wagoner".

I was looking to buy some Brembo Cross Drilled & Slotted rotors today, but now that I read this, I am re-considering. Will my pads hold up to the cross drilled? or should I just go with the slotted. Please give me a reason why I should go with one or the other, Thanks.