Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Which brand parts for no start?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Which brand parts for no start?

My question is what brand parts should I replace my ignition components with?

Currently diagnosing my cars no start. It's a 97 Civic lax 5 speed. It started when I replaced my dizzy cap, I couldn't break free the rotor screw so I said f it after trying some light squirts of pb blaster. I put a new cap on with the old rotor still on and I put a light coating of wd40 because it had been no starting when it rained here. Well car started but ran sluggish a little so I cleaned some of the over spray off and it ran fine. I parked it and went to start it the next morning it started perfectly and drove perfectly for the first 4 miles or so. I hit a ramp and it died, wouldn't start after that and had to be towed.

Got home and got the rotor screw off and found some corrosion on my terminals of my coil, "green stuff". Cleaned it a bit the best I could with some light sprays of brake clean. It was all I had. New rotor on and put back together and still no start no spark. Check both sides of the coil and it's getting power and being turned on and off (pulsing from the Icm) checked with my test light via eric the carguy YouTube video. But no spark out the tip of the coil spring thing lol I had another dizzy which I was told was a good dizzy internally. Swapped coils and still nothing. I bought my parts from advanced auto but I heard Hondas don't like aftermarket parts. Should I try another brand from like salvo or another store? Or am I missing a part of the diagnosis? I'm also following this diag ( Honda Acura ignition (no spark) troubleshooting tutorial - How to )page I found here while searching a few days ago for my accord that won't start smh fml.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:34 PM
GDD's Resident Derp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Which brand parts for no start?

I could be wrong, but.. Intermotor, OR stuff from a Honda dealer.

I had to replace stuff when my car got stolen and that Intermotor dizzy is $200 at Advance.

Must be why these unemployed criminals with no lives took it.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok thanks. I have been using BWD brand parts from Advance Auto Parts and so far every time I replace a part something else fails right behind it. Replaced the Cap and rotor, 4 miles later the coil stops firing. Smh
Old 06-08-2015, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I got a IC from the family owned parts store 4 blocks from my house! Who knew!? Lol worked like a charm. Fired up with a nice spark. The brand was different from what Advance had carried and they sold it for their price not list. 25$ instead of 60 which was after I used a coupon from retailmenot. Fuc# advance auto parts I'll gladly be supporting my local business. Problem solved!
Old 06-08-2015, 03:31 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Parts failing behind other parts isn't caused by the parts you're buying, it's caused by an old, worn out ignition system trying to give up the ghost. For the ignition system, though, OEM or bust. A parts store cap and rotor will last you a year if you're lucky. An OEM cap and rotor are a little more expensive, but they'll last you twice that easily.