Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Brand New Car??

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand New Car??

Ive got a question for you guys, first off...is this the right place to post about a 2004 Civic??

second and more importantly, I am doing fairly well for a young guy (21) and i am looking to buy a brand new car. I have decided upon a 2004 Civic, havn't decided on model yet but that doesn't matter, what i am wondering is, is this a good decision? I know you can't go wrong with a honda which is why i am a member here but i am about to take a very big step in buying a brand new car, do you guys recommend i buy a brand new one? or save some good $$ and buy a 1 year old one? thanks alot, any insight is appreciated.
Old 05-19-2004, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my car brand new when I was 17, back in 1998. It's the first and only car that I've kept. I've owned at least 14 other cars before and since then.... winter cars, project cars, daily drivers, beaters, etc. But this is the one that's actually stuck with me, and it's my baby. I know where it's been, what's been done to it, I know how the underside tastes j/k ... but you get the picture. There is NOTHING that can compare to a new car that only your hands have touched. **** saving money, go for the gold. Money is made to be spent!! I'll tell you something that Henry Ford said back in the 1900s. There is NO car like a NEW car.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brand New Car?? (Mazdillac)

It all depends on your definition of brand new. Do you want a new 2004 with less than 50 miles on it, or would a 2003 with no mileage on it be the same thing? A lot of the dealers in my area are trying to clear out all their 2003 model year inventories, so they are offering Civics up to $7500 off invoice. If buying a car with no miles on it is what you decide, you should see if any dealers in the area are doing the same thing. I can't remember if the 2003 models got the newer front end with the more "aggressive" headlights. You should check it out. Hope this view helps.

Mark
Old 05-19-2004, 06:58 AM

Default Re: Brand New Car?? (EHMk2)

Buy a used car...period.

Let some other sucker take the hit of depreciation value. Hondas last forever anyways.

When I was younger I always had to buy new (except of course project cars) and looking back it was a waste of cash. Figure this...find the car you want and and the money you save can go right to the mod fund.

Normally you can save a few thousand, so why not? I dont know where you live but in my situation I can drive four hours and spend way less compared to where I live.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:05 AM

Get the new, you'll never look back.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:27 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (Dimi)

Get a no-mileage 2003 RSX-S instead of a 2004 Civic and you'll be much, much happier. The '04 Civic is a difficult platform to work with and leaves much to be desired in all but the interior arenas.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:31 AM

I say get a used and build it cuz you gain knowledge, pride and confidence about cars. If you're thinking about getting a new 2004 civic I'm sure you've considered the RSX-S. I guess it depends on what you want out of your car. Great gas mileage, performance, comfort(sedan), Handling and what-not. Your young only once. There's pros and cons to each situation. Just follow your heart. haha. What does your heart say? 2004 civic? RSX-S? WRX? SI?
Old 05-19-2004, 07:31 AM

Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Get a no-mileage 2003 RSX-S instead of a 2004 Civic and you'll be much, much happier. The '04 Civic is a difficult platform to work with and leaves much to be desired in all but the interior arenas.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn man your being nice lately....kinda freaking me out lol.

Yeah this is a Great Idea! RSX mmmm nice. Heavy but nice.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:39 AM

Default Re: (Dimi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dimi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This is your shot Archidictus to be your funny assh0le self!! J/K </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey now. Nothing to see here....moving along.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:02 AM
eL
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want a civic, I'd advise you to get a 2000 at most. Its just my opionion though, I'd never buy a 7th gen civic.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:07 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: (eL)

My dad has a 2001 Civic. It's been extremely reliable, and it handles much better than my brothers stock 1999 EX coupe. If you aren't into modding, the 2004 civic will be a great choice. If modding is your thing, try to find a low mileage 1999-2000 Civic or 99-01 Integra or even 02+ RSX.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:10 AM

Default Re: (BauleyCivic)

Thanks alot for all your opinions guys, i really appreciate it, its preatty split right now, i can understand letting someone else take the depreciation value but really i don't trust other people, this is why i don't want to buy a used car, I know i can get a car a year old but i really dont like the idea of not knowing how that person drove it and took care of it. I have considered a RSX-S but that is another 10,000 here, and i don't really need a car with that many luxury features (ie leather and that big of an engine). This car will be just used as a daily driver and won't see many mods at all, i have other plans for cars and don't plan on modding this car much at all...Thanks again for your inputs, i'll let you know what the outcome is....I'm still kinda leaning towards loosing the money and going brand new! thanks guys!!
Old 05-19-2004, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I daily drive mine, all I really mucked around with is the suspension and I've had no big mechanical issues at all. Couple squeaky things that needed grease, but thats really it. For DDing, its a pretty good pick, I bought mine new in 02, there's almost 40K on it now. I just don't like the idea of buying a car that I don't know how it was cared for... picking up someone elses problems is just something I don't want to deal with.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:47 AM

I have a 94 and an 04. I personally think the 94 is much more fun to drive and has better looks. The 04 is more subtle and tame. Both are great cars. Its all in what you want to do with it and how much you are willing to spend.
Old 05-19-2004, 04:05 PM

Default Re: (Boilermaker1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boilermaker1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I daily drive mine, all I really mucked around with is the suspension and I've had no big mechanical issues at all. Couple squeaky things that needed grease, but thats really it. For DDing, its a pretty good pick, I bought mine new in 02, there's almost 40K on it now. I just don't like the idea of buying a car that I don't know how it was cared for... picking up someone elses problems is just something I don't want to deal with.</TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly my feelings, i don't want to pay to fix someone elses problems

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stuntbug &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a 94 and an 04. I personally think the 94 is much more fun to drive and has better looks. The 04 is more subtle and tame. Both are great cars. Its all in what you want to do with it and how much you are willing to spend.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i strongly disagree i think the 04's look like modern cars, the 94 looks like a dinosaur, its all good. thanks for inputs guys!
Old 05-19-2004, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mazdillac)

the best thing about buying brand new is that you know its in perfect condition and no one else has driven the hell outta it. (besides maybe the car porter) and you can choose everything you want for it. color and all. you also get the factory warranty if anything ever goes out in the warranty time. new would be the way to go for me just remember..once you buy it..you're pretty much stuck with it unless you wanna lose a bunch of money
Old 05-19-2004, 05:09 PM

Default Re: (JforJonathan)

naw i would be keeping it for at LEAST 3 years...so that doesn't bother me.

I got another question for you guys, on a 2004 Civic what kind of price does the dealer pay?? I just want to know how much flex i can get on the MSRP. I should be able to get them down about $1000 less than sticker shouldn't I??
Old 05-19-2004, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mazdillac)

you should be able to get it down more than 1000. check out consumer guides for cars, they usually list dealer invoice prices in there, so you know what to shoot for.
Old 05-19-2004, 05:24 PM

Default Re: (tominos)

alright thanks alot i found a good site with all the retail / invoice prices...thanks so much guys, when i get the new car i'll post some pics...
Old 05-20-2004, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

04 is the new front end, and if I had to get a 7th gen that would be it. Plus if you don't have money to mod if to a while, EX trim comes with rims already. As far as a used car, I think problems are over-rated. However, if you do get a car used, buy a stock one. Modded used cars have probably been ratted on one time or another, most likely right before they sold it.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i say buy what you can afford. civics are a good economy car. i like the new front end.