Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Braking distance stock vs rear disk conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Braking distance stock vs rear disk conversion

Does anyone have any data comparing a 6th gen stock disk/drum brake setup (with ABS preferrably) vs one that did a rear disk conversion? (please include pad info)?
Old 02-16-2005, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Braking distance stock vs rear disk conversion (chimchimm5)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chimchimm5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does anyone have any data comparing a 6th gen stock disk/drum brake setup (with ABS preferrably) vs one that did a rear disk conversion? (please include pad info)?</TD></TR></TABLE>

There's not going to be an appreciable difference. Most of the braking is done on the front of the car. Rear disks do more for linear pedal feel than braking distance. If you're looking for more stopping power, get brembo blanks on the front with Hawk or PBR/Axxis ultimate pads.

Old 02-16-2005, 10:35 AM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Braking distance stock vs rear disk conversion (EX_AutoXer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EX_AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

There's not going to be an appreciable difference. Most of the braking is done on the front of the car. Rear disks do more for linear pedal feel than braking distance. If you're looking for more stopping power, get brembo blanks on the front with Hawk or PBR/Axxis ultimate pads.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

or put some integra rotors and calipers on the front of your civic
Old 02-16-2005, 10:37 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Braking distance stock vs rear disk conversion (Vtecin94dx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vtecin94dx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
or put some integra rotors and calipers on the front of your civic</TD></TR></TABLE>
With an upgraded mc and bb.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:42 AM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Braking distance stock vs rear disk conversion (litterbox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
With an upgraded mc and bb.</TD></TR></TABLE>
most deff,
hey and u will need new brake fluid too.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:56 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EX_AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There's not going to be an appreciable difference. Most of the braking is done on the front of the car. Rear disks do more for linear pedal feel than braking distance. If you're looking for more stopping power, get brembo blanks on the front with Hawk or PBR/Axxis ultimate pads.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well here's the deal, I actually did that already.

Using the same wheels/tires, I replaced just the front rotors with Brembo blanks and used PBR metal masters (I need cold stopping power too, this is a street car). Now my front activates ABS very quickly and I feel more braking dive but I have no idea if I've actually improved braking distance or not.

That's why I want to see data.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chimchimm5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Now my front activates ABS very quickly and I feel more braking dive but I have no idea if I've actually improved braking distance or not.

That's why I want to see data. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Brakes stop the wheel, tires stop the car. You will only stop as fast as your rubber will allow. Obviously you have more than enough clamping power if your ABS is kicking in.

Old 02-16-2005, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EX_AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Brakes stop the wheel, tires stop the car. You will only stop as fast as your rubber will allow. Obviously you have more than enough clamping power if your ABS is kicking in.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
exactly. get some good tires and then your car will stop better.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

no one i know who has made the change from drum to disc has ever noticed a difference.

your PBR pads are making your fronts brake more than youre used to. ease off the brakes.