Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

brakes, what to go with?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brakes, what to go with?

Well I think as a good rule of thumb, when you build a big motor and go at higher speeds on the track. you need bigger brakes to stop your vechile, and i was wondering what brake setups most run? i look into brembo big brake kit but they are 2300 dollars and i aint sure on those. cause i also looked at a few others that are alot cheaper. but i want good quality too, rather than just a big name. but if brembo is what i need then brembo is what i will get.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: brakes, what to go with? (RedlineKustomz)

you'll most likely be fine with good pads and rotors.Autozone blanks get the nod from most of the RR/AX guys,and some good Cobalt/Carbotech/etc pads,with good fluid.
you may also be able to work up a swap to bigger brakes using OEM parts.
for a street car,and for 90% of people doing DEs,any kind of brake upgrade package like you've described is just bling.
what car do you have?how much street/track/dragracing do you do?
Chris
Old 10-15-2005, 01:26 PM

Default Re: brakes, what to go with? (TeamNextGenChris)

I have a 2000 Civic si. Right now I do no racing period, cause i am building my motor and my car is soon to be in pieces. But once I get my car out of the paint booth back together and my motor finished, i plan to race at least once a month. and it iwll be a daily driven car.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RedlineKustomz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a 2000 Civic si. Right now I do no racing period, cause i am building my motor and my car is soon to be in pieces. But once I get my car out of the paint booth back together and my motor finished, i plan to race at least once a month. and it iwll be a daily driven car. </TD></TR></TABLE>
what kind of racing?drag?roadracing or lapping events?
you already have the bigger brakes.i'd go with good pads,fluid and new rotors.the Carbotech Panther Plus are a good cross of a street pad with some use on track with a medium pace driver and street tires.maybe some other people can recommend other pads too once we know exactly what you'll be doing with the car.if it's drag racing you'll be doing,i've always liked the Axxis Metal Master pads formostly street use.
Chris
Old 10-15-2005, 01:33 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TeamNextGenChris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
what kind of racing?drag?roadracing or lapping events?
you already have the bigger brakes.i'd go with good pads,fluid and new rotors.the Carbotech Panther Plus are a good cross of a street pad with some use on track with a medium pace driver and street tires.maybe some other people can recommend other pads too once we know exactly what you'll be doing with the car.if it's drag racing you'll be doing,i've always liked the Axxis Metal Master pads formostly street use.
Chris</TD></TR></TABLE>

My plan is mostly drag racing, I mean from time to time I may run a dude on the street but nothing major like a real street race. So what would be a good setup? and where can I find the best prices?
Old 10-15-2005, 01:34 PM

i know it dont matter but i have 17" rims so i can get bigger rotors on my car if i need it.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:44 PM

I've got Brembo crossdrilled/slotted rotors on my del Sol, with EBC greenstuff pads (shop didn't have Axxis). And honestly, they're amazing. Once the broke in, it's not a problem of the brakes not stopping the wheels, it's a problem of my tires not gripping cause they're cheap and the brakes do their job VERY well. I got my rotors on ebay for $180 shipped, and the pads were about another $60 at my local shop. I'm VERY happy with my setup. Even with the smaller disc brakes (del Sol Si brakes are smaller than del Sol VTEC/Integra GSR brakes), they stop on a dime. Highly recommend Brembo rotors and either Axxis metalmaster or EBC greenstuff pads. While you're under there, might wanna upgrade to SS brake lines.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:48 PM

Default Re: (xPhantomSolx)

where is the best place to find SS brake lines, cause i planned on that. but theo nly place i found them is modacar.com and i dont trust that site just a gut feeling lol.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:09 PM

You don't need a big brake kit - on a Civic, they're just for bling. Expensive bling at that. If it's a showcar or a display car for your shop then by all means, it doesn't hurt but for a daily driver that sees some 1/4 mile, you don't need a big brake kit. On a circuit or track car, big rotors will help alleviate brake fade but if you just want to stop well, plain stock rotors with good aftermarket pads and brake fluid will suffice. Stay away from cross-drilled stock-size rotors.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:15 PM

Default Re: (derspi)

ok so just upgrade my brake lines, pads, and fluids and i will be fine? i mean i will say this, my car is going to be my shops project vechile. to help get my work out there, so it will be in a few shows but it will be at the track, and driven on the street often.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:20 PM

Default Re: (RedlineKustomz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RedlineKustomz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok so just upgrade my brake lines, pads, and fluids and i will be fine? i mean i will say this, my car is going to be my shops project vechile. to help get my work out there, so it will be in a few shows but it will be at the track, and driven on the street often. </TD></TR></TABLE>

well now your saying its for show.....well if its gonna be show style then get the big brake kit, but the cheapest would just to be get some ss lines and the pads and rotors
Old 10-15-2005, 02:27 PM

Default Re: (sockvtec)

its not fully show tho. i mean the exterior of my car is stock with a few jdm style mods and 17's. i am just try in to get my name out there for paint and engine building. i will race every chance i get which wont be everyday, but i will put it in shows too to get my shops name out there.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RedlineKustomz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

My plan is mostly drag racing, I mean from time to time I may run a dude on the street but nothing major like a real street race. So what would be a good setup? and where can I find the best prices?</TD></TR></TABLE>
in that case my main concern would be a pad that's not overly aggressive.Axxis Ultimates or Metal Masters would be a good choice IMO.
and there is NO advantage to expensive cross drilled/slotted rotors over $9.99 Autozone blanks.looks only.
Chris
Old 10-15-2005, 04:19 PM

is there anyway to get like a black rotor? that wont stick out behind my rims? and where can i get those pads? Autozone? is there anywhere online I can get rotors like you talk about?
Old 10-15-2005, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RedlineKustomz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is there anyway to get like a black rotor? that wont stick out behind my rims? and where can i get those pads? Autozone? is there anywhere online I can get rotors like you talk about?</TD></TR></TABLE>
you can have the nonfroction surfaces painted black,but no way to keep the friction surface black.
i've gotten the Axxis pads at Autozone before,but it was a huge PITA.Ebay has been the best place i've found-good prices too.
as for the rotors,just the standard replacements from Autozone will do.
Chris
Old 10-15-2005, 04:29 PM

ok so Ebay for Axxis Pads and Autozone for just stock replacement Rotors? what about fluid?
Old 10-15-2005, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RedlineKustomz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok so Ebay for Axxis Pads and Autozone for just stock replacement Rotors? what about fluid?</TD></TR></TABLE>
woops,forgot to mention that before.
Valvoline Synpower is a good,inexpensive fluid for mostly street use.
Chris
Old 10-15-2005, 04:54 PM

thanks I think i have all i need now

Axxis Pads
Autozone Rotors
Valvoline Synpower Fluid

Thanks again
Old 10-16-2005, 08:19 AM

Ok so go with blanks? sorry I know a few said it but just make sure before i purchase them
Old 10-16-2005, 08:24 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...QrdZ1

are those the brake pads i am lookin for?
Old 10-16-2005, 09:52 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RedlineKustomz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...QrdZ1

are those the brake pads i am lookin for?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah except wrong car..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...wItem

You can get stainless steel lines here
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWDVW

I'll vouch for these guys. I bought those exact lines and a set of brembo rear rotors off of them.

Stainless steel lines are great during hard braking.. they don't tend to flex like the stock rubber ones uner extreme pressure. I noticed a difference after putting them on.

Modified by johnecon2001 at 11:03 AM 10/16/2005
Old 10-16-2005, 09:57 AM

Default Re: brakes, what to go with? (johnecon2001)

thanks on the SS brake lines.

are these what i need?
Old 10-16-2005, 09:58 AM

ok thanks man lol u fixed ur response as soon as i posted mine lol.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:03 AM

hehe no prob
Old 10-16-2005, 10:10 AM

Default Re: (johnecon2001)

Quick Reply: brakes, what to go with?