Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Brakes Spoon > Wilwood right?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes Spoon > Wilwood right?

I know the topic has been covered quite a bit, I have even posted brake threads before. I've done a fair share of research on the topic though and it seems that many people on this site are using, wilwood/fastbrakes, spoon, or OEM stuff. I want to do something after market and i just dont understand the justification for spending $1000 on the spoon stuff. Other than the fact you can use smaller wheels and its JDM is there any reason its better than wilwood dynalite big brakes on an EM1 civic?
Old 12-22-2005, 06:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Brakes Spoon > Wilwood right? (BLKCivicPorscheStyle*)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BLKCivicPorscheStyle* &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I want to do something after market and i just dont understand the justification for spending $1000 on the spoon stuff. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't pay for the JDM. Being able to claim your brakes are JDM doesn't stop your car any faster. Wildwood
Old 12-22-2005, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brakes Spoon > Wilwood right? (IHateJDM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IHateJDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't pay for the JDM. Being able to claim your brakes are JDM doesn't stop your car any faster. Wildwood </TD></TR></TABLE>

you know that might be true. but i will say spoon is more blinging. but if your trying to get the best bang for your buck willwood
Old 12-22-2005, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brakes Spoon > Wilwood right? (dohcVTECeg2)

From my understanding, the newer wilwoods also have dust boots now. So they are street friendly for dual purpose cars now.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree w/ these guys.
Granted the Spoons are amazing brakes, no doubt about it. But i doubt performance is much, if any, better than the Wilwoods. The price alone makes me sick.

And I personally think a Baer or Wilwood setup would be alot "cooler" than the Spoons anyway b/c I've seen these setups on SuperCars/ RaceCars/ MuscleCars for years and years.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think the wilwood's the best bet
Old 12-22-2005, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brakes Spoon > Wilwood right? (kleanlscivic)

The only advantage that spoon have is that it use OEM style pad.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't get me wrong the Spoon brakes are really nice and they do use OEM pads but holy crap they are so expensive. I would go with Wilwood's. Maybe check out Stillen, im using a stillen brake kit (2 piston caliper, 13" rotor) and kit never failed me yet, and i got mine for pretty cheap on ebay.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:27 PM

Default Re: (mrbigg9032)

wilwood makes a 4 piston kit that will fit behind some 15 in wheels. i had their 12 in kit behind 16 rota circuit 8's. very little spoke clearance like 3mm prolly. a little bit more than the thickness of a credit card but they fit. and they looked huge behind 16's. great brakes.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (typeoneeg6)

http://www.fastbrakes.com
Old 12-22-2005, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (typeoneeg6)

Fu*k spoon, too much money, way over rated! Go brembo or Wilwood. Def upgrade rotors too. Brembo's cross drilled and slotted are pretty cheap
Old 12-22-2005, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcVTECeg2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you know that might be true. but i will say spoon is more blinging. but if your trying to get the best bang for your buck willwood </TD></TR></TABLE>

weren't you the same dumbass who was tryin' to hate on me about a C-west bumper, callin' it rice, yet your saying Spoon=bling. Wow. Hypocrite.

Anyways, Just go with Willwood. Spoon is quality, but its like comparing the quality difference between Acura and Lexus, yet paying 3 times the amount for the *slightly* higher quality difference.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JayDiemB16aCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JayDiemB16aCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Fu*k spoon, too much money, way over rated! Go brembo or Wilwood. Def upgrade rotors too. Brembo's cross drilled and slotted are pretty cheap </TD></TR></TABLE>

yea and there awesome to even when they crack thats when they look the best
Old 12-22-2005, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sohctodohc)

Guaranteed that 99% of this forum will be fine with some GSR brakes and good pads and fluid. Our cars are more limited by contact patch than braking power. Your tires are going to slide before you can lock up your brakes.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:45 PM

Or stay OEM and go for the NSX brakes
Old 12-22-2005, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Guaranteed that 99% of this forum will be fine with some GSR brakes and good pads and fluid. Our cars are more limited by contact patch than braking power. Your tires are going to slide before you can lock up your brakes. </TD></TR></TABLE>

the stock brake system with aem brake pads will easily lockup a 7inch wide nitto555 on my car....only thing i would upgrade is the rotors if i started doing autox
Old 12-22-2005, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (2k.civic.si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2k.civic.si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

the stock brake system with aem brake pads will easily lockup a 7inch wide nitto555 on my car....only thing i would upgrade is the rotors if i started doing autox</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd definately go to some disks all around if you don't have them (in your case you do, if you drive an 00 SI like your username) just to avoid the horrible brake fade that you encounter with drums.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ricey McRicerton)

rotora
Old 12-22-2005, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i got goodridge braided lines, hawk hp plus pads, brembo slotted rotors, and ate super blue brake fluid in my 99si.

my stops amazing.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:02 AM

Default Re: Brakes Spoon > Wilwood right? (FuNkDrSpOt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FuNkDrSpOt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
weren't you the same dumbass who was tryin' to hate on me about a C-west bumper, callin' it rice, yet your saying Spoon=bling. Wow. Hypocrite.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

No i wouldnt be that guy, I love the cwest look i almost did it but decided on the chargespeed stuff instead. when i bought nick w's wheels i took his icon too maybe it was him.

Rotora will run about 1500 just like the price i found on the spoons I would honestly love to do and endless big brake set up but 2500 can do a lot towards a turbo set up. wilwood seems to be the best bet out there for the price. People keep saying OEM! OEM! but my car will be in shows not that its a show car but I like it to look nice wheather thats a rice comment or not i dont care i want a set of brakes that looks kick *** behind these volks!
Old 12-23-2005, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BLKCivicPorscheStyle* &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No i wouldnt be that guy, I love the cwest look i almost did it but decided on the chargespeed stuff instead</TD></TR></TABLE>

He wasn't refering to you, he was refering to dohcVTECeg2.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BLKCivicPorscheStyle* &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I like it to look nice wheather thats a rice comment</TD></TR></TABLE>

There's nothing wrong w/ wanting to look good, as-well as perform well.
And this whole 'rice' thing is getting rediculous. People use the word like it's going out of style. If it's not jdm, people call it rice. If it's jdm, it's the 'new rice'. If I really want to get under your skin, I'll call you a 'ricer'. People need to stop using the word all-together. It's fuggin stupid.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:37 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Brakes Spoon > Wilwood right? (mwieczorek43)

Agreed Find a brake set up that is in your budget and has the look you are trying to acheive. We have heard it that even stock will work just fine..so from there it is a all about cosmetics.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:41 AM

I love the wilwoods, esp in red ($150 more). Deffo high up my list
Old 12-23-2005, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mohsin)

Ya they were my first choice....but i went OEM instead... a tad cheaper but even less bling
Old 12-23-2005, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (StreetEG)

how about endless haha

Quick Reply: Brakes Spoon > Wilwood right?