Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Brakes Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brakes Problems

I have a 95 honda civic dx coupe. My brakes don't seem to be working properly, my rear pads i had to change because they were wasted and i had to change that piece where the bleeder goes in in one side of the rear brakes because one snapped as once i forgot to put brake fluid in the car and my brakes simply were gone so that part got messed up so i ordered one from honda and now its on. i tighten the e-brake ( which wasn't working before ), and i tried bleeding the brakes but it's not working.

I don't have disks in the back its all stock. But when i open it up in the back to see the interior and try bleeding it, a little rubber piece gets out of where the bleeder goes when i brake about 5 times, now, when i do the same with the cover on then it won't go off as the cover or that piece that goes on top is holding it from expanding too much, but still when i turn on the car it doesn't work.

What could this be ? I have had this issue for over 1 year now and i haven't been able to solve it yet, i need big help ASAP
Old 07-17-2008, 05:30 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Brakes Problems (boostedhks)

I don't really understand what you are saying. Rubber peice gets out of where the bleeder goes when you brake 5 times??? Brake cylinder dust covers maybe?

Please try to explain this situation better.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brakes Problems (mcvtec)

do you even know how to bleed brakes? start the farthest from the master cylinder and work to the closest.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i know how to work on cars i just got a problem with my english.i don't know the name of the parts in english. However, yes that rubber piece is in brake cylinder it goes out too far, i found out that i was supposed to bleed the brakes with the cover on so that won't happen so i did it but still did the same, the only time that it worked out was when i bleed it with the car running. then it won't get loose again. Now, i got a problem with the e-brake as its not working at all, i only bleed one side too as the other's side brake cylinder is messed up so i have to wait until i get another one next week before i even try bleeding that side.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First you need to replace the brake cylinders if they are leaking at all. The rubber piece is more of a dust shield than anything, it protects the diapram inside. In my opinion, I would then gravity bleed the rear brakes. To do this get a thin 1-2 foot piece of hose that will fit snuggly to your bleeder. Put the other end in soda or gatorade bottle. Make sure you have plenty of fluid in the master. Open the bleeder and let it run through the tube into the bottle. When it comes out of the tube that side is done for now. Repeat on left rear. Now bleed the system normally with the drums( covers) on. This should get all the air out. To adjust the e-brake( which will also firm your brake pedal up and lessen pedal travel) remove the drums and under the wheel cylinder is a little gear with teeth and a lever so you can only turn it one way. Turn it a few clicks then see if the drum fits on snug but not tight. This will take a few times but turn it a few clicks the fit the drum on. When its snugg to fit on but turns the rear brakes are adjusted.