Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

brakes locking up after master cylindar/brake booster upgrade...did search

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brakes locking up after master cylindar/brake booster upgrade...did search

aight guys before you start with the "use the search button comments"...i already did sereral searches and still havent found the solution to my problem.

well here it goes...
i have a 93 CX hb (non-abs of couse) and i did an upgrade to a 97 integra master cylindar and brake booster. i already re-aligned and flared the brake lines that lead to the MC. everything seemed to work out pretty well and line up pretty good. so i take it for a test drive and everything seems okay. then all of a sudded it feels like the brakes locking up. so i turn off the car for a quick 5 seconds and its back to normal again...then after a little bit it feels like it locks up again.

I DID A SEARCH and read up on several different posts that seemed to be similar to my problem but im not sure about some of them. i know there have been people that have done the same swap successfully w/o having to do any modifications. there were posts about shortening some push rod but how would you go about doing this??

if anyone has done this successfully please give input on what all you did
Old 04-13-2004, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: brakes locking up after master cylindar/brake booster upgrade...did search (curiousgpnoy)

Are all four brakes locking up?

What brakes do you have on the car?

If all else fails, I'd try to reseat the calipers (or whatever you want to call pushing the pucks in so they "reset" so to speak) and then try it agian.

EDIT: You can adjust the brake pedal up, that may be part of the problem as well.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: brakes locking up after master cylindar/brake booster upgrade...did search (Ricey McRicerton)

sounds to me like you upgraded the mc/booster *WITHOUT* actually upgrading the brakes. Are you still on the stock rotor/drum setup? If so, thats your problem...
Old 04-13-2004, 01:02 PM

Default Re: brakes locking up after master cylindar/brake booster upgrade...did search (curiousgpnoy)

I think it has to do with the booster. Did you adjust the brake rod that connects to the the booster? (the one the passes through the fire wall) Sometimes you will have to adjust the rod. I thing you have too much preload. check in a service manual.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: brakes locking up after master cylindar/brake booster upgrade...did search (rob d)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rob d &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think it has to do with the booster. Did you adjust the brake rod that connects to the the booster? (the one the passes through the fire wall) Sometimes you will have to adjust the rod. I thing you have too much preload. check in a service manual.</TD></TR></TABLE>

BINGO! I'll put my money on that as a solution.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: brakes locking up after master cylindar/brake booster upgrade...did search (kommon_sense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kommon_sense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sounds to me like you upgraded the mc/booster *WITHOUT* actually upgrading the brakes. Are you still on the stock rotor/drum setup? If so, thats your problem...</TD></TR></TABLE>

it sounds like this is the problem.

if you upgrade the m/c and booster which is a 1 in setup i believe and still have the stock CX brakes that is why you are locking up. too much fluid pressure for the puny calipers and drums in the rear. you need to at least upgrade the rears to discs and possibly the fronts to gss brakes as well.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:14 PM

Default Re: brakes locking up after master cylindar/brake booster upgrade...did search (nextelbuddy)

i have integra brakes all they way around...what moron would upgrade MC and BB without upgrading brakes first ...for some reason i have a feeling there are some that have done that before. well i just went back to stock MC/BB setup for now til i figure out what the hell is best for me
Old 04-13-2004, 10:41 PM

i think i might have a faulty master cylindar beause when i pulled the brake liines off nothing drained out of the cup
Old 07-14-2004, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my prelude does that too. its the booster.