Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Brakes locking up?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes locking up?

I have a 95 ex coupe all stock that I use for a daily and am having problems with the brakes. The front right brake pad is sticking and not letting up? After replacing the master cylinder I started having problems with the front passenger side brake pad locking to the rotar. I replaced the master cylinder brake booster caliper soft line hard line just about the whole brake system and nothing will fix it. A couple people said it could be the bar coming from the booster to the pedal that needs to be adjusted? I tried to do that but not really sure exactly what needs to be done to do that right. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Brakes locking up? (puffsef)

probably your caliper piston thats rubbing on the rotor.

push it back and you're good to go.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brakes locking up? (puffsef)

if it's only one of the 2 front brakes, I'd be inclined to say your caliper is seized. replacing all that stuff didn't fix it because the caliper probably needs to be replaced. as far as I know there is no adjustment for the brake pedal to the pushrod on the MC -- they may be thinking of the clutch pedal.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You bled out the whole system and all right? Sounds like a seal in the caliper or its binding. Take off the caliper and take a close look at it. Push the brake pedal with it off while it's still connected and see if the piston freely comes out. If it does, sounds like a seal problem. Pull out the piston entirely and look at the piston/caliper wall condition and look for deep scratches.

If it's just a seal problem then you can get a rebuild kit for like 15 bucks at your local auto parts. The kit contains pretty much all the rubber seals/boots for the caliper. If in doubt, just get new or rebuilt calipers. My calipers were both about 75 each. I don't remember if that was before or after core. I had a similar problem like this. I found this out a weird way. I was having gas milage/power issues. The guy asked a random question "How are your brakes?" And my problem was just that. My brakes were binding and not returning back.

Hope all goes well. Make sure you fix this correctly. These devices keep you from killing yourself and others. Good day.

EDIT: Here is a link to a caliper. It may not be your exact fit since I don't know if you have ABS or not. Just for you to get an idea of pricing if you have't already looked.

http://www.partsamerica.com/Pr...Set=A

Just enter in your zip code and it will show you the item.