Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Brakes feel spongy...

Old 03-26-2008, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes feel spongy...

Hey guys just curious if you can help. I've got a 92 eg with four wheel disc brakes. When I step on the pedal they feel really spongy. Is there any way I can get my car to brake like a newer car and be really responsive? I've checked the pads and rotors and they are in good shape. Also I've bled the lines and put new fluid in.
Any ideas?
Old 03-26-2008, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Brakes feel spongy... (civic_66)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey guys just curious if you can help. I've got a 92 eg with four wheel disc brakes. When I step on the pedal they feel really spongy. Is there any way I can get my car to brake like a newer car and be really responsive? I've checked the pads and rotors and they are in good shape. Also I've bled the lines and put new fluid in.
Any ideas?</TD></TR></TABLE>

did you recently swap out the rears for discs?
Old 03-26-2008, 02:09 PM

Default Re: Brakes feel spongy... (philosofy1)

No I bought the car with discs already installed
Old 03-26-2008, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Brakes feel spongy... (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did you recently swap out the rears for discs?</TD></TR></TABLE>

If the braking system isn't stock, tell us what's been changed.

Are there any leaks in the system? Do you know if the master cylinder or brake lines (rubber ones @ each corner, not the hard lines) were replaced in the past 16 years? A 16yo MC and/or rubber lines could make things less firm, depending on what condition they're in.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:19 PM

Yeah I'm pretty sure their rubber lines and I'm not sure if they've been changed or not. Should I change all of the lines to steel braided?
Old 03-26-2008, 08:38 PM

Default Re: (civic_66)

any other feedback?
I also heard negative feedback about cross-drilled and slotted rotors. For every day driving I heard they can't heat up enough to perform. Is this true?
Old 03-26-2008, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think your MC is going out. Not sure though
Old 03-26-2008, 08:46 PM

Default Re: (meandino)

Its as if I'm scared to push down on the pedal all of they way. It doesn't seem to stop it just keeps on going until it just about hits the floor. Is there anyway I can get my braking like a newer style car where you just touch the brakes and its very responsive?
Old 03-26-2008, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow...i dont think ur suppose to press the brakes that hard to stop..sounds like a leak for suree esp because u said u bled the lines..
Old 03-26-2008, 09:49 PM

sounds like ur m/c piston seals are going out open the resovoir and observe while sum1 is pressing on the brakes if fluid is being pushed into it if so time for a new m/c
Old 03-27-2008, 07:35 AM

Default Re: (aznej2)

Thanks guys!
Old 03-27-2008, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

We can only assume you have an Si then, right? It does sound like a Master Cylinder...any leaks from underneath it? Inside the cabin or inside the engine bay?
Old 03-27-2008, 11:29 AM

Default Re: (blk92_d16)

it totally sounds like you need a new mastercylinder... have had the same prob you are experiencing.. changed the mc and brakes worked awesome
Old 03-27-2008, 01:05 PM

Default Re: (princesssi)

I've got a vx but with disc conversion front and rear. Also if I upgraded my brake lines to steel braided would this make a big difference in my braking?
Old 03-27-2008, 01:11 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've got a vx but with disc conversion front and rear. Also if I upgraded my brake lines to steel braided would this make a big difference in my braking?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i noticed a difference

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">any other feedback?
I also heard negative feedback about cross-drilled and slotted rotors. For every day driving I heard they can't heat up enough to perform. Is this true? </TD></TR></TABLE>

i have had brembo cross drilled and slotted rotors on my car for the last 2+ years with no problems.

after an accident that i had due to my front breaks locking up (warped rotor) i upgraded to the brembo rotors, ebc green stuff pads, stainless lines and new fluid. now that [freak]er stops
Old 03-27-2008, 01:29 PM

Default Re: (95jeremie)

is your pedal really responsive now?
Old 03-27-2008, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've got a vx but with disc conversion front and rear. Also if I upgraded my brake lines to steel braided would this make a big difference in my braking?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes it will make a difference, but it will not solve your problem. if the pedal is going down to the floor just for you to stop, then you most likely have a MC or booster going bad. i would invest in a replacement before you decide to go with any braking upgrade.

also the reason i ask earlier if the brakes were recently changes were to see if the prop valve was replaced. when doing the rear disc conversion, this is something that should be replaced, but sometimes people half *** it.

i know you probably want to upgrade your system being that you asked about cross drilled rotors, so i will say this. first, check to see if the prop valve has been changed. engraved on it should read 4040. if so you have the right one, if it reads 3030 then you still have the stock one and should be changed.

you can upgrade you MC and booster to a larger one found on a 91 civic ex, not that much larger from your current one, but it will bolt up with no mods. you can also go with a 1" gsr or itr one, but your brake lines will have to be custome made or bent.

when i upgraded my brakes i went with the 1" and i had custom steel braided lines made up which ran from the MC to the prop valve. if you decide to go with it here are the measurement i went with. i called up Baker Precision and this is what is asked for. Line #1: 24" long w/ 2 90 degree 10mm inverted flares fittings. Line #2: was a 20" long w/ 90 degree 12mm inverted flare on one end and a 10mm inverted flare on the other. both lines ran me about $50 and that was with shipping.

i went alittle further and got goodridge braided lines for all four corners and regular oem replacement brakes. my car stops about 30% than stock and pedal firmness is up there too. sorry for the long story but i hope this reall helps you!
Old 03-27-2008, 01:35 PM

Default Re: (95jeremie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95jeremie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i upgraded to the brembo rotors, ebc green stuff pads, stainless lines </TD></TR></TABLE>

How much did this set-up run you?
Old 03-27-2008, 01:40 PM

Default Re: (philosofy1)

Thanks a lot philosofy1!!!
yeah that helps a lot. I'll have to go check that. I have a nother civic I'm parting out with GSR brakes on it. So if its the wrong prop valve I can just swap it off of that. That works for me.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:48 PM

philosofy1 that's some good info

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

How much did this set-up run you?</TD></TR></TABLE>
i don't remember but i think it was like 200-300
i have my car book in the car i will grab it on my next smoke break (it has all receipts and such in it).

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is your pedal really responsive now?</TD></TR></TABLE>
yes however i don't have a MC problem
Old 03-27-2008, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks a lot philosofy1!!!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95jeremie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">philosofy1 that's some good info

</TD></TR></TABLE>

not a problem guys. thats what us old tuners are here for!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks a lot philosofy1!!!
yeah that helps a lot. I'll have to go check that. I have a nother civic I'm parting out with GSR brakes on it. So if its the wrong prop valve I can just swap it off of that. That works for me. </TD></TR></TABLE>

as for the prop valve, if it's off of a gsr then no you can't use it, due to the way the other hard lines run. the 4040 valve is commonly found on 90-93 integras and on 94-95 integra rs (non abs/rear disc). i find alot on 90-93 integras, since that's what alot of local yards have, but if you can't find one at a yard you can find them on ebay.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (aznej2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aznej2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> time for a new m/c </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blk92_d16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It does sound like a Master Cylinder.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by princesssi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it totally sounds like you need a new mastercylinder.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you most likely have a MC or booster going bad.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is what I said from the start

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by meandino &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think your MC is going out. Not sure though</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well if you need a new one. Hit me up. I got one for you.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (meandino)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by meandino &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That is what I said from the start

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i guess you want brownie points?

Old 03-28-2008, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i guess you want brownie points?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope, everyone should have came to the conclusion earlier.

Great info though philosofy1.