Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Brakes Broke

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes Broke

Okay, new problem on the Civic. (93 LX Sedan) I've had it for a few months now.

The brake pedal keeps getting lower and lower, This is coupled with a higher and higher E-brake lever.

As of now, it doesnt even hold my car on the driveway, I have to leave it in gear.

I've already had it in the air an adjusted the rear drums. That helped... For a while.

I also had someone watch the rear brakes as I pulled the lever. The self adjuster star wheels are indeed turning one notch or so per pull...

The rear shoes are new, and the star wheels turned easily when I tried adjusting them.

Needless to say, front brakes only is a shitty setup any time, but especially on the ice...

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-22-2003, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brakes Broke (Pele)

check fluid levels. also check the master cylinder, and the slave cylinder(if there is one, cant remember)
Old 01-22-2003, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brakes Broke (FifthGearOnline)

also, may sound silly, but have you adjusted the e-brake handle? Remove the cover and you will see 2 screws attached to the cables. tighten them until you can only pull the e-brake handle up 5-6 clicks.
Old 01-22-2003, 06:53 AM
In The Garage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Brakes Broke (kommon_sense)

it doesnt make sense for the hydraulic pedal to get spongy along with the cable e-brake. the pedal getting lower, i would suggest bleeding the entire system VERY well, as is flush it completely (you may have water in the lines). as for the e-brake........ yeah i guess just adjust it tighter.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:30 AM

Default Re: Brakes Broke (Pele)

My guess would be that the Master Cylinderis leaking internally past the Primary Cup, and thus the spongy pedal.
Old 01-23-2003, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brakes Broke (PnX-R)

Nah... Fluid level's fine. Does need a flush though, but that'll be done later... Hydraulics are allright...

A little over a month ago, I did remove the rear ashtray and adjust the cable tension. I kept adjusting it till it was all the way tightened, and the lever kept getting loose by the day... So I loostened the cable tension and started by adjusting the star wheels inside the drums, then adjusting the cable tension. The E-brake lever was nice and tight... At that time, I could only pull it up a few clicks... And the brake pedal was nice and firm...

Over time, however, the brake pedal felt lower and lower... As it got lower, the e-brake lever got higher and higher.

Now, I can be driving around, and yank the e-brake up all the way, and it won't do a thing, except light up the red light on the Gauge cluster.

On top of that, the car kinda nosedives when I hit the brakes, but it didn't when I had them adjusted properly... Remember when you had a bike and you hit the front brakes only, how you'd go over the handle bars... Something like that...

So yeah.. My rear brakes are constantly coming out of adjustment... Is there anyway I can make the self adjusters, self adjust? That's my question... I shoulda been a little mroe descriptive in the first post.

It was like this a month ago, and adjusting it fixed it then... It shouldn't come out of adjustment in a month of driving, even if I do over 1000 Miles a month.

[Modified by Pele, 6:04 PM 1/23/2003]