Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Brake Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Upgrades

im upgrading my brakes, Brembro blanks in the front w/ AEM pads. As for the rear drums i have no idea what to do/get. Can you guys help me out with my rear drums?
Old 08-11-2005, 09:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Brake Upgrades (96Civic_Coupe)

Take them off and throw them in the trash......next go and find some rear discs. Getting brembo's and AEM pads isn't a huge upgrade. I say go big or go home.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wtf...... im not looking for a track set up. just something for daily driving, so if someone could please help me out on this subject...
Old 08-11-2005, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 08-11-2005, 09:54 PM
HT Order of Merit

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (96Civic_Coupe)

Drums dont do ****. They are there to hold the wheel on and function as a ebrake. Don't bother doing anything unless your replacing them with disks.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (JDM_Ej)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_Ej &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Drums dont do ****. They are there to hold the wheel on and function as a ebrake. Don't bother doing anything unless your replacing them with disks. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Stop passing on misinformation. Drums are more than sufficient for daily driving. The majority of braking force is applied to the front brakes so how would upgrading to rear disks help?
Old 08-11-2005, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wadup, will these shoes be all i need to replace for the rear drums?

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes...ode=P
Old 08-11-2005, 10:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (wadup)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wadup &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Stop passing on misinformation. Drums are more than sufficient for daily driving. The majority of braking force is applied to the front brakes so how would upgrading to rear disks help?</TD></TR></TABLE>

How would upgrading the drums help? And he didn't give missinformation, he said drums don't do ****, which is what you just said. Okay, so what have we learned........nobody on this board knows about brakes.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The rear shoes will usually last the life of the car because they are not being used as much as the fronts. I would just skip on the rears and focus on the fronts and better tires. Your stock brakes are strong enough to lock up so the next thing would be to get better tires. If you want some more bite then upgrade the pads, but in most cases you will get more brake dust.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SOHC4life 96)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC4life 96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

How would upgrading the drums help? And he didn't give missinformation, he said drums don't do ****, which is what you just said. Okay, so what have we learned........nobody on this board knows about brakes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Umm when did I say to upgrade the drums? How did my statement say that drums don't do ****. You need to learn to comprehend better.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh ok, how about the drum itself?

also i have 205/50/15 kumhos so i think im all set in the tires department.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do a rear brake adjustment. you'll be amazed how well the brakes work when they are properly adjusted.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how do i do that, reverse + e brake?
Old 08-12-2005, 12:46 AM
NooB

yea the rear drum brakes usually last as long as the car,just put new ones on no need to go all out like autozone and yes the front setup your going will help out alot those aem pads work wonder's.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:34 AM

I just wanted to say...don't take off you rear drums and throw them away! Every Civic is either equipped with ABS or has a Prop valve to distribute fluid to all brakes. Taking that away will be dangerous! Keep the stock drums or swap them out, just don't get rid of them.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake Upgrades (Proglow3)

If I were you I would just get Autozone rotors and Axxis Ultimate front pads. The drums are fine for daily driving. If you think the rear disks are really going to improve your braking your kidding yourself. They will help but it's not a HUGE difference.

Why the cheaper rotors? Because rotors tend to warp so quickly anyway I think it's a waste to get more expensvie ones. I bought some Brembo blanks before and they didn't seem any different than my Autozone ones other than that they cost me more money.

I did a few HPDE's with my Civic when I had it. All I had was Autozone rotors with Cobalt GT-Sport front pads. I let my instructor drive it for a few laps and he kept asking me what brake kit I went with. I said I don't have one, I just have better pads. He insisted my brakes were better than his NSX's. I just laughed at that but I was amazed at how well the car would stop with just pads on a stock system, as was he. His pads definitely faded more than mine but his were stock.

Call cobaltfriction.com and tell them what you would like to do. The people there are very friendly and will advise what setup you should use for the street based on your driving. I say Axxis Ultimate pads with Autozone rotors. Do a search if you want.

Also read through this past thread of mine. Many people prefer Autozone to Brembo.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=378596
Old 08-12-2005, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wadup &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> If you want some more bite then upgrade the pads, but in most cases you will get more brake dust.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If this is true than why do most high end brake pads advertise less brake dust?
Old 08-12-2005, 07:37 AM

I just found out mr autozone rotors are only 11.99 now for a set of pads for street and track....
Old 08-12-2005, 08:19 AM
HT Order of Merit

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (evade this honda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wadup &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Stop passing on misinformation. Drums are more than sufficient for daily driving. The majority of braking force is applied to the front brakes so how would upgrading to rear disks help?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I never said they would help. I ment, that if your going to waste your time on the rears, might as well upgrade to disc's rather than redoing the drums. If only for asthetic purposes. (I hate the way my nasty drums look behing rims) However, the majority of people that do the rear disc change usually neglect to replace the MC or the prop valve so you really wouldn't notice a difference there... it would probably be worse actually. Regardless, from a performance aspect, rear disc's still aren't really needed.

I still have the drums on my car with Integra front brakes, Brembo cross drilled/slotted and EBC Green stuff pads. I notice very little improvement over the stock integra parts. Im goin back to Axiss pads and Autozone rotors soon. Waste of money, at least for a street only car.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDM_Ej)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_Ej &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I never said they would help. I ment, that if your going to waste your time on the rears, might as well upgrade to disc's rather than redoing the drums. If only for asthetic purposes. (I hate the way my nasty drums look behing rims) However, the majority of people that do the rear disc change usually neglect to replace the MC or the prop valve so you really wouldn't notice a difference there... it would probably be worse actually. Regardless, from a performance aspect, rear disc's still aren't really needed.

I still have the drums on my car with Integra front brakes, Brembo cross drilled/slotted and EBC Green stuff pads. I notice very little improvement over the stock integra parts. Im goin back to Axiss pads and Autozone rotors soon. Waste of money, at least for a street only car. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for clearing up your statement. I apologize if mine sounded like an attack of some sort, but it wasn't.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18BlackEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If this is true than why do most high end brake pads advertise less brake dust?</TD></TR></TABLE>

To get your money. You can ask those axxis ultimates and hawk guys. They will work better, but will cause massive amounts of brake dust.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:42 AM

i have a 2 inch front drop on my 95 cx hb just curious as to whether this front tilt of the car will cause less effective rear braking and premature front break wear?
Old 08-12-2005, 11:37 AM

Default Re: (B18BlackEK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18BlackEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If this is true than why do most high end brake pads advertise less brake dust?</TD></TR></TABLE>

To sucker dumbasses like you who believe everything that's thrown their way. And just WTF is a "high end" brake pad?! There are different compounds with varying friction levels that perform with a different set of criteria (ie. track pads that do their best when up to temp but suck in the cold).
Old 08-12-2005, 11:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96Civic_Coupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how do i do that, reverse + e brake?</TD></TR></TABLE>

That method never works for me. What I do is remove the rear drum, manually expand the adjuster w/ a screwdriver. The object is to expand it enough to not be able to get the drum back on, then back off the adjuster one step at a time till the drum does fit back on. Afterr you get the drum on, try turning it by hand to see if the drum drags. You may have to back off the adjuster another click or 2. While you're in there, confirm your rear shoes does have at least some shoe material left and is not worn to nothing. Adjusting won't help if you don't have and brake material left.

Try that and let us know if the brakes are better or not.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kkim)

I recently realized that the right-rear drum was engaging much later than the left-rear drum. As a quick fix I tried going backwards and jabbing at the brake pedal ~20 times. It did nothing. So I took the drum off and manually adjusted it. Any reason why the self-adjusting mech. isn't working like it should? Maybe somehow I wore it too much going forward before braking backwards so the shoes couldn't engage the drum any more? But that doesn't explain why it's only one side?

Yeah, adjusting the drums so they start to drag with one click of the handbrake improves the pedal feel - noticeable. Not sure about maximum braking force though, since shoes behave very strangely, they actually get wedged into place by the rotating action and are very progressive. Maybe they are very sensitive to proper adjustment? Or not? Who knows.