Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Brake Upgrade question

Old 04-14-2003, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake Upgrade question

What can i do to make my civic stop better without a rear disc coversion. i have a 93 DX with drums. Stock brake system. I was thinking is there a way to get 300mm discs in the front. I have some problems locking up the wheels with my 16" rims on. I would want to keep the weight off so the rear swap is out of the question. I was thinking about getting a teg master sylinder and mabey getting some larger disc. Is the only way to do thins with a fromt table swap for a teg?
Old 04-14-2003, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Brake Upgrade question (T-Spec)

Don't want to swap Integra knuckles into yours? Thats one good way for sure, all the other stuff is optional in a way.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake Upgrade question (piscorpio)

well i don't want to put dics on the rear, it's uless for me. I just need bigger or better fronts i belive. What would i need to get some TEG LS brakes on my EG?

My swap is in 3 weeks... so i would need to stop for those traffic halts...some one save my front end

Old 04-15-2003, 01:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are saying that you are locking the wheels up too easy; putting bigger brakes in the front of your DX would only worsen the problem of locking the wheels up. Your problem right now is that the front brakes are doing most of the work (which is normal and not necessarily bad). Just have the shoes in your drums checked, you may need new ones soon. I also believe that the distribution can be toyed with to fix the problem.

If you are saying that you are having trouble locking the wheels up (which I think is what you are refering too hence the added weight of the 16's and stickier rubber). If this only happens after you have been driving the car for a while in stop and go situations, or during or after hard braking(your brake pedal starts to feel soft) you may just need to have your brake lines flushed. If you are really serious you can pick up a set of stainless steel brake lines (this will prevent the stretching and flexing of the hose from heated brake fluid). Otherwise a set of slotted rotors and some quality pads would get the job done. Heat=Brakes worst enemy (keep note that pads require a certain amount of heat to work properly)
Old 04-15-2003, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You just need the front knuckles with hub, caliper, and rotor. It bolts right up, make sure to bleed the brakes after, maybe get new pads and rotors while you are at it, as mentioned earlier, although slotted is not really necessary.
Old 04-15-2003, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake Upgrade question (piscorpio)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by piscorpio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You just need the front knuckles with hub, caliper, and rotor. It bolts right up, make sure to bleed the brakes after, maybe get new pads and rotors while you are at it, as mentioned earlier, although slotted is not really necessary.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I also wouldn't bother with stainless lines unless your rubber lines are having a problem. Did some research on the roadracing forum and found that most people who upgraded to stainless lines couldn't tell a difference. I think that the people who claim that the pedal feel improves probably only see this improvement because they also bled the brakes when the installed the ss lines.

Best braking upgrade for you right now would be the front setup from either a teg/ex/si, good pads, brembo blanks, and good brake fluid.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake Upgrade question (kommon_sense)

Thanks, i will try to research to find those parts i need for the brake swap.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech User

what year car do you have...if it is a 92-99...the si and the ex both have a bigger disk...so if you have a dx/cx/hx/vx or something then it would work great.

steve
Old 04-15-2003, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake Upgrade question (10seconds)

I might be a wrong here, but ar the knuckles that was refered as a part, the actual name of this part. I have never hear of car knucles. HUBS? Spnide? mabey....
Old 04-15-2003, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep, the service manual refers to it as the "knuckle/hub".
Old 04-15-2003, 09:39 AM
Lover

one of the best things you can do, is find a 1" mastercylinder (96+ GSR). i did a del sol rear disk on my 98 civic with a 98 GSR 1" MC.......real nice.........maybe the MC will help even if you keep the drums.....