Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Brake Upgrade, Brake Lines and Installer Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Upgrade, Brake Lines and Installer Questions

Ok, I have purchased a Brake Upgrade for my del Sol from Password JDM. It is a del Sol S with a JDM B16A so I was feeling the need to upgrade to the brakes used in cars that come equipped with B16's.

Anyway, the upgrade does not include brake lines and i was wondering if the stock Del Sol S brake lines would be enough to get these these brakes running, i did a quick search and could not find a straight answer.

I am also wondering if anyone knows someone who could install this brake setup on my car since i do not have all the tools necessary to complete the install. I am in the 91702 area (azusa, CA) if anyone can help me out.

Thanks Guys

(^.^)V
Old 09-07-2006, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Brake Upgrade, Brake Lines and Installer Questions (deadmanInMedia)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by deadmanInMedia &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i was wondering if the stock Del Sol S brake lines would be enough to get these these brakes running</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im assuming you did a drum to disc swap in the rear; in which case you need to get Si or DOHC VTEC lines for the rear. The front should be compatible though.... not sure.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:51 AM

Default Re: Brake Upgrade, Brake Lines and Installer Questions (solerizr)

Actually it's the front upgrade, slightly bigger calipers and rotors. The rear will be on it's way soon, then i will be getting new brake booster and master cylinder to accompany the bigger parts.

As for installation, how much do you think it would cost to get this done? i just read a how-to on this type of swap and it doesn't seem like it would be to hard or costly.

(^.^)V
Old 09-07-2006, 10:04 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by deadmanInMedia &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As for installation, how much do you think it would cost to get this done? i just read a how-to on this type of swap and it doesn't seem like it would be to hard or costly.
(^.^)V</TD></TR></TABLE>
Just do it yourself. It really isn't hard at all. It took me about 3 hours total. Thats with going to the store a few times during installation. If you do it yourself, you'll be glad you didn't pay someone to do something so easy.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:20 AM

Default Re: Brake Upgrade, Brake Lines and Installer Questions (PhatBoy5015)

Ok so i went to a few places to check what they would charge me for this install, and i am not happy, haha, it looks simple enough to do myself though.

First place wanted $1500 (yes fifteen-hundred), the next place wanted $390, the third said they wouldn't touch anything like this and the final place said $280 including resurfaced rotors.

I think i will end up doing this myself except that the bottom ball joint thread will need rethreading, any idea how much this would be? or would it be better to simply buy a new pair? (pics up soon).

(^.^)V
Old 09-07-2006, 11:52 AM

This is the threads i am talking about:

The Close Up Gives a Little More Detail, this is the better Thread, the Other one has noticeable bends in the thread:

This is the Slight Lip and Rust on the Rotor(s), resurfacing should do the trick right?:

(^.^)V - how much for those ball joint things, and how easy is the install for them?
Old 09-07-2006, 11:53 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by deadmanInMedia &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I think i will end up doing this myself except that the bottom ball joint thread will need rethreading, any idea how much this would be? or would it be better to simply buy a new pair? (pics up soon).
(^.^)V</TD></TR></TABLE>
I think they are around $25 each. Just buy them and rent the ball joint press from AutoZone for free. Its very easy to do.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Brake Upgrade, Brake Lines and Installer Questions (PhatBoy5015)

Rust on rotors is normal. Look at your rotors whenever you wash the car and spray the wheels. You will see rust when they dry.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:08 PM

Default Re: Brake Upgrade, Brake Lines and Installer Questions (EK k kay)

Yea there is some rust on my rotors too, good point, but there is a slight lip on each of the rotors due to their age, at this point it seems as though i can do alot more than just install the brake assembly such as add stainless brake lines, paint the calipers, and get new dust shields. Can anyone quote me on the dust shield price?

also upon further review the ball joints on the top part seem to need replacing too, they seem far too loose and at this point i think i can get some nice stiff ball joints their

(^.^)V - any other ideas while these things are out?
Old 09-07-2006, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Dude, just get new rotors, pads, and ball joints. It's a bolt off and bolt on affair for the brake install. Make sure your have Del Sol Si or Del Sol VTEC ebrake cables. You can get brake lines for a Del Sol VTEC or any 94-01 Integra for that matter.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Brake Upgrade, Brake Lines and Installer Questions (BlueIntegraBoy)

Well, it's a Del Sol with drums in the back, these brakes are bigger front brakes, after that i will follow up with the rear disc brakes and ITR master Cylinder, Brake Booster, and either Civis Si or ITR prop valve, still not too sure there.

Well i guess i'll have to start looking for new ball joints, brembo blanks, and some kind of pads (any ideas?), by the way are there any "performance" ball joints, or am i better off with oem?

(^.^)V
Old 09-07-2006, 01:53 PM

Default Calipers Only? O_o

Ok, so i was looking at the rig sitting on my garage floor, and i was thinking and remembering that somewhere on these forums it was stated that the control arms are the same for most of the different brake setups (DC2 Brakes, Civic Si Brakes etc.). so after brainstorming everything for a second i thought, why not just swap the calipers and rotors from the upgrade package onto the existing arms still connected to my Del Sol?

Would this lead to the same result or am i barking up the wrong tree in order to save myself time and effort?

Also, if it does work, in the future would it still be possible to upgrade as if i had instelled the entire assembly?

(^.^)V -