Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Brake Swap Questions... PLEASE READ!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Swap Questions... PLEASE READ!!!

I am finsihing up my brake swap in the morning, and have a few questions.

1. While installing the rear discs, lots of brake fluid dripped out of the lines. When I put in new fluid, do I need to bleed the lines?

2. I was told that it is best to break in new rotors with used pads. Should I install the rotors with the old pads, or install my new pads and rotors at the same time?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-23-2003, 01:13 AM
TSPeed Factory

Default Re: Brake Swap Questions... PLEASE READ!!! (Secret Squirrel)

yea, after putting my rear disc breaks on i had to bleed the system.

as for the breaking in of rotors i have never heard of anything like that.
Old 10-23-2003, 01:27 AM

bleed brakes break in new pads with new roters there's a certain way to do it something about breaking hard for the first few times then going easy on them for a few hundread miles something like that (heard it from a friend)
Old 10-23-2003, 01:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake Swap Questions... PLEASE READ!!! (yakitori)

If you search the archives, there should be a huge post about how to break in new pads and rotors. If I can find it I'll post the link later on. I've always been told to take it easy the first 300-500 miles.
Old 10-23-2003, 02:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake Swap Questions... PLEASE READ!!! (D16Z6racing)

Yes bleed the lines....As far as the pads and rotors go....New cars come with new rotors and new pads, not new rotors and worn in pads. So, I think that new pads and new rotors should be fine. Just dont brake too hard on them for a bit. Break in period shouldnt be more than a few days of normal driving.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:13 PM

Default Re: Brake Swap Questions... PLEASE READ!!! (JDMjdawg)

Yeah when i said bleed the lines, i meant to say flush the system. I decided to go with steel braided lines, and just flushed out the whole system anyway.

As for the rotors and pads, It seemed kinda silly but I heard it from a friend so I thought I would ask you guys. I went ahead and put on the rotors and pads on.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Secret Squirrel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
1. While installing the rear discs, lots of brake fluid dripped out of the lines. When I put in new fluid, do I need to bleed the lines?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes you will have to do a full brake bleed on all the lines.. you start from the rear passenger side then to the front drivers side then do the rear drivers side then front passenger side. You might as well bleed it all till it is clean and clear.. Now if your going to use SS lines just install those first before doing the bleeding. You will need like 3 or 4 bottles to do the bleed.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Secret Squirrel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
2. I was told that it is best to break in new rotors with used pads. Should I install the rotors with the old pads, or install my new pads and rotors at the same time?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

The best thing do to is to take the new rotor and get some sandpaper.. around 200 grit and do circular motions as you turn the rotor and press lightly dont make huge scratches just light ones.. then do the same with the pads, but just rub one direction with those.
And FYI Old pads with New rotors is bad.. thats why you sand the pads if your going to reuse them with the new or resurfaced rotor