Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

brake shimmy

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake shimmy

Don't know if that's proper way to describe it, but my brake pedal seems to be vibrating way too much, especially at higher speeds. What could this problem be ?

Thanks,
Joe
Old 12-13-2005, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: brake shimmy (josephshark)

be more specific
Old 12-13-2005, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: brake shimmy (mx621)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by josephshark &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't know if that's proper way to describe it, but my brake pedal seems to be vibrating way too much, especially at higher speeds. What could this problem be ?

Thanks,
Joe</TD></TR></TABLE>

Most likely warped rotors. You need to either have your rotors turned (if possible) or replaced and it is also recommended to replace your pads at the same time.

Don't worry, it's super easy to do on a Civic and parts are pretty cheap. Plenty of write ups on it.

Hope it helps
Cheers!
Old 12-13-2005, 03:17 PM

Ok. When pressing down on the brake, I can feel a pretty heavy vibration coming from the brake pedal. It seems it is more pronounced on the highway than on the streets(i.e. lower speed.)

Joe
Old 12-13-2005, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: brake shimmy (old man neri)

yeah sounds like warped disks to me, best to just replace them and the pads also
Old 12-13-2005, 03:20 PM

What type of car is this? Rear disc or rear drum? Sounds like warped rear rotors or drums.

While driving, pull up gently on the E-brake lever while holding the button down (so the lever doesn't stay up while you're moving). Keep your foot off the regular brake. If you feel shaking then, it's rears. If not, it's likely front. More often than not though, warped front rotors will cause a steering wheel shake moreso than a pedal pulsation.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: brake shimmy (anony95ex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by anony95ex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What type of car is this? Rear disc or rear drum? Sounds like warped rear rotors or drums.

While driving, pull up gently on the E-brake lever while holding the button down (so the lever doesn't stay up while you're moving). Keep your foot off the regular brake. If you feel shaking then, it's rears. If not, it's likely front. More often than not though, warped front rotors will cause a steering wheel shake moreso than a pedal pulsation.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wrong. You have warped front rotors. Go get some new ones at autozone for like $40 and, if you are low on funds and the current brake pads have plenty of life, just reuse the old pads.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:27 PM

Thanks for the info all. How do I know if I have ABS braking system ?
should I go with stock rotors or crossed drilled/slotted ?

Thanks,
Joe
Old 12-13-2005, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by josephshark &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for the info all. How do I know if I have ABS braking system ?
should I go with stock rotors or crossed drilled/slotted ?

Thanks,
Joe</TD></TR></TABLE>

THere have been huge arguments about the rotor thing, If i were you I would just go with stock, unless you are hardcore racing.

If you search there are pics of an ABS car and a non ABS car and their differences.

Or you could just find a snowy empty parking lot, drive at about 15mph and then put your foot to the floor. If your brakes lock up you don't have ABS, if your brake pedal pulsates and feels like it's almost fighting back then you do have ABS. Trust me, you will know the feeling.

cheers!
Old 12-14-2005, 05:12 PM

Default Re: brake shimmy Advice please

thanks all,

I found the original window sticker in the car
I don't see anything in there about abs, I already knew that I had discs all the way around.
Any ways, I think with abs equipped delsols, there is an abs gauge in the cluster. I don't have it. $22.00 each from autozone. I love my local autozone, people are great, and prices are great also. I'm thinking about doing the work my self, but am a little skured Never done anything like this before.
This is all pretty much plug and play so to speak, yes ? Basically all I have to do is take off and replace in the same order taken off? I'm also going to do the pads. Please advise if a noob like me should undertake this sort of project.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 12-15-2005, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: brake shimmy Advice please (josephshark)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by josephshark &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks all,

I found the original window sticker in the car
I don't see anything in there about abs, I already knew that I had discs all the way around.
Any ways, I think with abs equipped delsols, there is an abs gauge in the cluster. I don't have it. $22.00 each from autozone. I love my local autozone, people are great, and prices are great also. I'm thinking about doing the work my self, but am a little skured Never done anything like this before.
This is all pretty much plug and play so to speak, yes ? Basically all I have to do is take off and replace in the same order taken off? I'm also going to do the pads. Please advise if a noob like me should undertake this sort of project.

Thanks,
Joe </TD></TR></TABLE>

I did it on my civic. it was a easy. 2 bolts per side. There is a detailed write up somewhere or you can get a manual. The hardest part is the damned set screws, I just drilled mine out and never replaced them.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1306501
I found one but there are probably better ones out there.

Things to remember are do one wheel at a time so in case you get confused you can look at the other side and see how it is fully assembled. Also before you even move the car pump the brakes till you get pressure back and then test the brakes someplace deserted.

Cheers.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:13 AM

Default Re: brake shimmy (97ShLude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97ShLude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Wrong. You have warped front rotors. Go get some new ones at autozone for like $40 and, if you are low on funds and the current brake pads have plenty of life, just reuse the old pads.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Could be front rotors, but I'm going based on what he's saying. Impossible to say for sure without driving the car, have you driven his car? I like the way you jump right out and say I'm wrong. It's not like I do at least 10 brake jobs every day, what the hell would I know?

Based on his later response that he has rear disc, I'd say that with a pedal shake and a not-shaking steering wheel it's about 90% likely that it's his rear rotors that are warped, not the front. The rear rotors are probably rust pitted too.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:34 PM

lol, you guys are funny

Well, for whoever wants to know. I had the front rotors and pads replaced. The problem has gone away . So I guess the majority of the problem was with the fronts.
As a side note, I'm glad I had my mechanic do the job. While the car was on the lift, I was able to see a super clean undercarriage, and also my mech. confirmed no other problems i.e. axles, etc.

Joseph